SAU Community

Calling Anyone That's Done Brake A Upgrade!

pintaline

so, put the car on the hoist the other day to put on some R33 calipers and the bolts are different. old bolts too big for caliper, R33 bolts too small for mounting bracket. what have people done to overcome this problem?

D.

lol. i'm in the same boat as you at the moment. over the last few weeks i've been sizing them up to see what changes are needed and this is one of them. i've read on here that 33 calipers bolt straight onto S1 stagea's, is yours a S2, mine is, and it wont bolt straight up. The Stagea bolt is a fine thred M14 and the R33 a fine thred M12 (i haven't put a thred gauge on it yet to check the pitch). I've been looking at two options.

1. Drill and Tap the R33 caliper out to M14, it looks as though there is enough meat in the threded inset to do this, need to check properly though.

2. Turn up a small sleave in the lathe that will take the hole in the Stagea Hub for the caliper down to 12mm so the caliper locates properly. if i do this i'm sure i'll need longer bolts aswell.

sorry i dont have a definate answer of "this is what to do", but just a couple of ideas i've been looking into.

i'd personally run sleeves as it's a non permanent option if you ever decide to revert/sell the calipers

i've got a pair of BNR34 brembo calipers and pads for sale here if anyone is interested? the mount holes on the calipers are M14 :rofl:

i'd personally run sleeves as it's a non permanent option if you ever decide to revert/sell the calipers

i've got a pair of BNR34 brembo calipers and pads for sale here if anyone is interested? the mount holes on the calipers are M14 :D

depends on the price !!

Ive kept stock calipers all round

got Maltech SS braided lines at 4 corners

front DBA slotted rotors

master cylinder stopper

bendix advance and heavy duty pads

so, put the car on the hoist the other day to put on some R33 calipers and the bolts are different. old bolts too big for caliper, R33 bolts too small for mounting bracket. what have people done to overcome this problem?

Went down to the local reece plumbing, found a copper sleve that was the right diameter. cut it down, bashed it in, filled it flush.

perfecto! :D

yeh i've been told R34 stuff will bolt straight up but i got a full set of 33 calipers and rotors nice and cheap.

dazza, was it just copper pipe or an actual sleeve for something?

also, i'm getting an R33 master cylinder with my brakes, is it worth putting this on too? is it any better better/different?

D.

from memory it was a straight joiner with a slight indent in the middle, around 35 mm long to suit 1/2 inch copper pipe. Get two and cut them in half , then put a straight cut along the length of all of them with a thin hacksaw blade. That will give you enough play to get them in. hope this helps.

:)

i have an S2 and the bolts that came with the 33 callipers were the right size but i have a RWD so what would i know cause most of u guys have AWD's and the two cars just seem to be worlds apart from what fits and what doesnt. i was thinking of trying some R34 front cause they are bigger and will look better inside my 18's but if the bolts are a different diameter then i cant be stuffed as there isnt really much of a performance gain between 33 and 34 brakes.