SAU Community

What Do You Like Best About Your Rb30det

Guilt-Toy

Need a bigger turbo. :)

I find the GT30 to be really tractable. Part throttle the boost moves up with more throttle i give it. Its easy to have it just hanging on the limit so to speak.

If I don't feel like playing with the throttle - 80km/h in fourth still pulls plenty hard and will start to break traction at around 110km/h with half throttle in the wet :)

I need a bigger one? Nah, I'd much prefer a smaller one...

Running a modified T04R/66 is the best way I remember to explain it...

I wouldn't mind going to a GT35 spec turbo... From the little research I've done it should spool quicker, and give just as much top end...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a bigger one? Nah, I'd much prefer a smaller one...

Running a modified T04R/66 is the best way I remember to explain it...

I wouldn't mind going to a GT35 spec turbo... From the little research I've done it should spool quicker, and give just as much top end...

lol well thats not the problem then lol.

The GT35's are very progressive on the 3ltrs and provide even better throttle control than my GT30.

So yours lags a tad then comes on like a sledge hammer?

With regards to suspension setup. Pushing in 12mm of cradle rake make a massive difference.

lol well thats not the problem then lol.

The GT35's are very progressive on the 3ltrs and provide even better throttle control than my GT30.

So yours lags a tad then comes on like a sledge hammer?

With regards to suspension setup. Pushing in 12mm of cradle rake make a massive difference.

Ha ha ha... Yeah, it's pretty much well how you describe it...

Builds around 5PSi at around 3700 - 3800 with foot buried to the floor...

it sort sticks at 5PSi until you get to around 4200RPM and then just smashes to full (Currently 14PSi) in a matter of around 10RPM... :D

In the wet, it was just a matter of, get it in 5th as soon as possible and don't try to accelerate at all...

That's with both my bald 255s on the rear, or the really good, 90% tread 235s...

It just starts to really torque up around 3500RPM...

Sounds frustrating/fun. :D

Get some 16's on it with a MT ET street that will fix your problems. :D

or for a reasonable price some of those Toyo R1R's in a 17" 255-265 with some decent sidewall.

Will still suck in the wet though lol. :(

Start on water as you do at the drags. Sitting on the limiter good clutch and drop it. 300rwkw car no doubt would be able too.

Thing is would you want to do that to your car? :D

I know I couldn't lol.

Less of a challenge to keep it straight? maybe in the low revs :D

Turbo isn't going on till after Xmas :( got a track day mid-December and also need car going for Boxing Day Burnouts so not going to starting pulling things apart till after then.. trying to get things done for events usually ends in tears :D Will be putting a High Energy Pro-circuit sump on along with an oil return from the head and a new radiator before the track day (also just put a new waterpump and thermostat in ready for summer+burnouts).

Sounds frustrating/fun. :/

Get some 16's on it with a MT ET street that will fix your problems. :D

or for a reasonable price some of those Toyo R1R's in a 17" 255-265 with some decent sidewall.

Will still suck in the wet though lol. :)

What's worse is, it isn't even fully tuned... :) Rev limit kicks in at 5000RPM... :P

But I need new tyres, and at the moment it's a matter of finding some bloody good ones...

Are the Toyo tyres a semi, or a normal tyre? As I do a few, hard driven kays, and I don't want to wear out a set of semis doing road driving...

And you mentioned 15mm of rake? Explain?

As to the wet... It's always going to suck... Even in these "whales" :P

But still... As you pull past someone trying to be "tough" in their "done up" car, and you're 45 degrees sideways and doing about 100km/h... It does get fun, but VERY hairy...

And I know I can get 3rd gear going on the roll... Haven't yet attempted to snap 4th once it's spinning... But I reckon on the brake, start her off in 1st gear spinning, and it'd easily take 4th gear once you work up the gears...

I like the fact that I can load my Skyline full of stuff / people and drive around like I was in it by myself... oh oh oh, I also love the fact that I need to scream at the drive through attendant at Maccas in order to put my order through :/

As to the wet... It's always going to suck... Even in these "whales" :)

But still... As you pull past someone trying to be "tough" in their "done up" car, and you're 45 degrees sideways and doing about 100km/h... It does get fun, but VERY hairy...

And I know I can get 3rd gear going on the roll... Haven't yet attempted to snap 4th once it's spinning... But I reckon on the brake, start her off in 1st gear spinning, and it'd easily take 4th gear once you work up the gears...

One day I wanted to see if I could spin in the wet and shift up quickly through the gears.. made to 4th gear before I decided it was too silly and shut her down :) (that's with only 250rwhp and sticky tyres.. TORQUE FTW!)

P.S. ceffie, what sort of revs are you dialing in to take off in 5th? I definately wouldn't be able to do that with my 3.9:1 diff gears :/

Edited by bubba

One day I wanted to see if I could spin in the wet and shift up quickly through the gears.. made to 4th gear before I decided it was too silly and shut her down :) (that's with only 250rwhp and sticky tyres.. TORQUE FTW!)

P.S. ceffie, what sort of revs are you dialing in to take off in 5th? I definately wouldn't be able to do that with my 3.9:1 diff gears :/

I've bounced the limiter in 4th by mashing it once in secondand working up the gears in the wet. Not game for 4th in the dry...

In the wet for some reason as long as when I mash it, I'm straight, I have no issues keeping in a straight line... In the dry though, second gear usually means 45 degrees sideways, grab 3rd and it's normally fishtail 4 lanes of traffic...

Edit: As for taking off in 5th... Bugger that...

I always take off in second gear in the truck, or work ute, occasionally I've accidentally done it in the Skyline, I very quickly actually shift down into 1st, and let the clutch back out...

Mind you, button clutches don't like being slipped to take off with the torque required for 5th... And the light weight flywheel doesn't help it either...

Edited by MBS206

What's worse is, it isn't even fully tuned... :ninja: Rev limit kicks in at 5000RPM... :down:

But I need new tyres, and at the moment it's a matter of finding some bloody good ones...

Are the Toyo tyres a semi, or a normal tyre? As I do a few, hard driven kays, and I don't want to wear out a set of semis doing road driving...

And you mentioned 15mm of rake? Explain?

As to the wet... It's always going to suck... Even in these "whales" :(

Rake is how much the front of the cradle is spaced down. I.e the pineapple traction setting.

Mine is spaced down as much as the amount of thread allows. So ~12mm. The arse end now noticeably sits down and gets weight over the rear.

Before the cradle rake it would spin and dance around on the spot now it feels like it spins and shoots off down the road. It won't just spin and not increase road speed. It will now spin a bit but with road speed not far behind. Can be a little dangerous if the wheel alignment is not setup right (i.e not running any toe in on the rear) and you over correct as it quickly wants to shoot you off the road.

Running a little toe in and its fairly fool proof. It tends to slightly sit off to the left or right and just sit there swaying slightly. Without toe in its all over the place. :S

Mash the throttle in third at 60km/h. By 80km/h its swaying the rear ever so gently, providing I don't ease off it and keep it mashed it will continue to sway until I grab fourth at ~150km/h.

Rolling on the throttle weight gets over the rears and it will generally hook up well.

Second gear yeah just spins so I almost never really mash it. If I want to give it a little I'll usually bring second up so it just spins ~50-60km/h and then grab third where it will light up and then its hold on. :D

One of the broken rb20det gearbox's I had to drive home in fourth. Traffic light starts, driving up to the shed/pit. That clutch didn't last too long after that. :(

The R1R's are not quite a semi but damn close. Tread wear of 140 vs the R888 of 100.

I still run 225/50 16's. Don't knock it until you see how well it hooks up. :P

I've ran 245 and 265 in 18's with a low profile tyre and they just didn't hook up in a straight line. Noticeable improvement around corners though.

The R1R's in 225/50 16's are $230 each so not so bad.

I plan on racing my car at the drags quite a bit this year (fingers crossed everything gets sorted on it beforehand) so ill have to try out the ET Streets + 4th gear burnout start.

Still a bit skeptical but ill sure try. Normal street tyres would do it easy but RIPS do them on ET Streets piece of piss.

Rake is how much the front of the cradle is spaced down. I.e the pineapple traction setting.

Mine is spaced down as much as the amount of thread allows. So ~12mm. The arse end now noticeably sits down and gets weight over the rear.

Before the cradle rake it would spin and dance around on the spot now it feels like it spins and shoots off down the road. It won't just spin and not increase road speed. It will now spin a bit but with road speed not far behind. Can be a little dangerous if the wheel alignment is not setup right (i.e not running any toe in on the rear) and you over correct as it quickly wants to shoot you off the road.

Running a little toe in and its fairly fool proof. It tends to slightly sit off to the left or right and just sit there swaying slightly. Without toe in its all over the place. :S

Mash the throttle in third at 60km/h. By 80km/h its swaying the rear ever so gently, providing I don't ease off it and keep it mashed it will continue to sway until I grab fourth at ~150km/h.

Rolling on the throttle weight gets over the rears and it will generally hook up well.

Second gear yeah just spins so I almost never really mash it. If I want to give it a little I'll usually bring second up so it just spins ~50-60km/h and then grab third where it will light up and then its hold on. :down:

One of the broken rb20det gearbox's I had to drive home in fourth. Traffic light starts, driving up to the shed/pit. That clutch didn't last too long after that. :P

The R1R's are not quite a semi but damn close. Tread wear of 140 vs the R888 of 100.

I still run 225/50 16's. Don't knock it until you see how well it hooks up. :ninja:

I've ran 245 and 265 in 18's with a low profile tyre and they just didn't hook up in a straight line. Noticeable improvement around corners though.

The R1R's in 225/50 16's are $230 each so not so bad.

Looks like I now know what tyres are going on my stockies... :D

I've always looked at the 17s running 255/40 on the rear as not having enough sidewall flex for straight lining it (Excellent in corners though!) and now that I'm going for more out right straight line then bothering with corners... I'll go to a smaller rim, larger sidewall.. :(

Edit: What's it like to launch in 1st gear? Is the setup good for a drag run at WSID, or still massive amounts of wanting to spin up in 1st and second?

Edited by MBS206