SAU Community

Anyone Bought Tyres Recently?

God_speed

Hey,

So I've posted in the tyre forum a few months ago and nothing, so thought I would try my luck here;

Anyone recently bought some tyres on the expensive side (say around $1500+ for a set) and had them fitted to rims that you didn't want damaged, and can recommend a place please?? Pretty much anywhere within 50km of Sydney CBD. I'd rather travel further and have them looked after than go somewhere locally but risk their work being cheap and nasty.

I'm getting some BRAND NEW 18" x 10" Volks very soon which have a significant amount of polished dish on them and DO NOT want them scratched up by some amateur / apprentice / trainee...

Greatly appreciate your help guys :P

Cheers,

Matt

Bob Jane blakehurst did a good job (although the boss is a bit unique to deal with) on a set of quite expensive tyres - 1000per corner

Just make sure you say hi and have a quick chat with the guys in the work bay when you drive the car onto the ramps, they love imports and whenever im there they take really good care to not damage rims. A gentle reminder will never hurt though, mention that the guy who had the grey lambo a few weeks ago said you did a good job :) Say that to the guys in the work bay, not the boss :P

The two places whose work I've liked are:

Tyrepower Hornsby. The guy who runs it, Sujith, is a car enthusiast and so he gives a shit. When I got my new TE37s I took them to him to get shod. He made sure his guy used cloth between the tools and the stems so they didn't get scratched, and hand tightened my RAYS Duraluminium nuts.

I'll warn you now that he takes ages, but that's because he takes care.

The other is Gordon Leven Tyres in Emu Plains. Its a fair hike, but they're the official suppliers for motorsport tyres for several brands and I was in the market for semi slicks. They took a lot of care not to scratch my LM GT4s, and also hand loosened/tightened the RAYS nuts without me even needing to tell them.

• Like 1

This is important i had a brake shop use the rattle gun on mine when i was getting some work done striped two nuts and studs.

Yeah, I've taken my car to a couple of random monkeys (Bob Jane, Beaurepaires, Matthews, etc, I won't name specific stores as per the forum rules) and, since I forgot to monitor them, I found them rattling on my previous set of Duraluminium nuts.

They lasted about 3-4 changes before the nuts were unusable. Since I run staggered wheel/tyre sizes with directional tread, I have to strip/refit tyres when I rotate which meant they didn't last long.

If I can't take my car to the guys named above, I'll actually put the stock nuts back on the car before I take it to the shop.

We have some great club deals on for Federal tyres at the moment. :(

As Corinne mentioned, seeing as you're an SAU-NSW club member, you have access to the discounted rate for the Federal tyres. I've just ordered a set for myself as the pricing is VERY good, so it's a good option for you too, then you can take them to wherever you think will do the best, most careful job to get them fitted.

Spinning wheel tyres in alexandria

They deal with alot of porsche cup cars, lotus race cars, bmws, mercs, anything and everything, ive been taking my car there for ever and i cant fault them...

Speak to fulvio and tell him ed with the blue s4 sent u and youll be in good hands..

• 2 months later...
Tyrepower Hornsby. The guy who runs it, Sujith, is a car enthusiast and so he gives a shit. When I got my new TE37s I took them to him to get shod. He made sure his guy used cloth between the tools and the stems so they didn't get scratched, and hand tightened my RAYS Duraluminium nuts.

Agree with Alan, when I was living in Hornsby I used to get Sujith to work with my car. Good bloke and will take care of your car also! and take his time haha but its a good result :(

Thanks again everyone. I took my new RE30s and the GTR to Sujith at Tyrepower Hornsby to get some new Bridgestones fitted. Yeah he took his time, but he did a good job and gave me a competitive price. Exactly what I was after. I was impressed.

Would definitely recommend him to anyone else looking to buy some tyres.

Matt

• 6 years later...

The two places whose work I've liked are:

The other is Gordon Leven Tyres in Emu Plains. Its a fair hike, but they're the official suppliers for motorsport tyres for several brands and I was in the market for semi slicks. They took a lot of care not to scratch my LM GT4s, and also hand loosened/tightened the RAYS nuts without me even needing to tell them.

Sujith CEO of Hornsby Tyrepower has sold his business now to John.

I've been prepared to give him a go since Hernan the tyrefitter (as well as Sujith was), is still there.

Sujith always used rags for extra protection.

If I do decide to go to Gordon Leven, who is the contact person there?

I'd like that tyrefitter to do the same process as Sujith (or Hernan).

Thanks in advance.