SAU Community

Nsw:-hr31 Gts Vh45de Twin Turbo In Build

This is my own vehicle/project.

I am building it as an all rounder.

It will be driven every day.

It will run on Liquid injected LPG.

It will start life as an Auto with a paddle shift setup. until the box goes bang.

It will be replacing my BA XR6 Turbo (nice car=boring)

CIMG4564.jpg

CIMG4563.jpg

CIMG4566.jpg

CIMG4560.jpg

CIMG4561.jpg

CIMG4552.jpg

CIMG4555.jpg

CIMG4557.jpg

It has a new aussie front bar.

Don't need cut-out for factory cooler anymore.

So not painted as may need trimming.

The rear end is R33 GTS-4 with R32 GTR diff, driveshafts and hubs.

Should be beefcake enough.

Will be running an Autronic SM4 ecu with Liquid Injected LPG.

The auto is unknown for torque handling yet.

If it blows then a Z32 VG30DETT manual box goes in.

Coil overs are S14 front, R33 rear, BC from wholesale suspension 7kg front springs 6kg rear. Adjustable height and damper settings.

Boost will be 7psi low in rev range increasing to 15psi at 7200rpm. To give the auto some sort of chance.

Wheels are Lenso 18 x 8in 235/40/18 45offset. Khumo Ecsta Sports tyres.

Brakes are R32 GTR front disc and calipers DS2500 Ferodo track pads. Rear are R33 GTS-t DS2500 as well.

No Hicus.

Aiming for 400rwkW.

Any more info just ask.

Thanks.

Came very very close to building the exact same thing in my old hr31 gts 4door a few years back - even had the vh45 organised.

Be interesting to see how yours turns out - there was a guy over here with a single turbo vh45 in a z31 many years ago, factory auto making around 400rwhp, I wanted to make considerably more but we werent sure how the motor would cope.

i notice you went to rta castle hill, hope i can see the final product (assuming your a hills boy and may be lucky enough to see this thing driving around soon)

correct me if im wrong but arnt those cheap and nasty ebay spec t3/t4 turbos....

These turbos are 440hp each from Hypergear in Melbourne

They have chinese housings, garrett exhaust wheel with full 360deg thrust bearings modified twin oil feed passages and garrett full floating bearings and balanced in Australia.

Internal gates plated up and Turbosmart 50mm external gates now fitted.

I've used these turbos before on conversions with no problems, and run 20psi.

Hypergear have optimised these turbos for high performance use.

Hi there , we've been there (IRS conversion) in a Bluebird years ago but luckily for me my mentor (one of them) has been doing rally car fab work most of his adult life and used to run Road and Rally Center .

I'm curious as to how you fitted the rear cross member mounting pins .

In Aust Bluebirds (910's) the holes are there but that section is double skinned and the inner skin is not a through hole .

What AJ did was to remove the hopeless 4 link body mounts and offer up the bare x member to chek mount hole alignment - mainly because we were fitting a DR30 R200 long nose rear end .

R30's usually have the mount pins welded to strengthening plates inside the rear rails but to make ours fit I chopped the taper mount tubes out of 280ZX wrecks from Pick and Payless . I think the tapered pins were 1600 Datsun .

Anyway as I'm sure you'd know the crade has to be very securely mounted to the shell .

One really easy mod we did was to fill the air holes in the X member bushes up with Stikaflex , takes two days because a fair bit was used and a full day to let it set was needed each side . R30's have soft bushings and IRS R31's are even worse - particularly the "rear steer" ones .

If I had the time I'd remove the pineapples from my R33 and stickaflex it too . Best of luck , cheers A .

check out nico club for a wealth of information on the vh45de (and +tt projects)

as far as i can recall, the vh45de auto box is the same auto box (internal wise) as the 300zx vg30dett auto box, so it should be good for a fair bit of torque. a rebuild kit or a transmission cooler would be good if you're looking to keep it alive at 400rwkw.

fitting a manual box will require some custom fabrication or an adaptor plate for the 300zx manual box. these are available from mazworx in the US. check out their site for details and pricing.

there is a user on nico club running your exact setup (vh45dett and lpg injection). running about the same power levels as well. except his engine is in a SUV of some sort, i think it's a nissan patrol.

i dont think the tranny or the differential will be stressed too much, you'll probably lose traction before being able to put too much torque through the drivetrain to break anything. hopefully anyway

this wouldnt be mark from mrc by anychance?

Yes,

Mark from MRC.

Ive done heaps of research on these engine/gearboxes.

I don't know however the torque handling of this standard unopened 2nd hand box.

I have an adapter plate for VH45 to VG30dett manual box.

All going well so far with build.

Exhaust system attacking next week. Catco twin 3in Race cats(706.2cfm each) and twin 3in system. 3 mufflers.

New metal backed guides, tensioners, waterpump, thermostat and crank seal fitted as major service items.

Cheers guys for input.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...