SAU Community

Gearbox Gearset Group Buy

N1GTR

Hi guys,

Ill be very straight to the point :P

This is a GB for gearsets from P.A.R. Engineering, the gearsets can be ordered in a number of different specs. You can choose ratios, straight cut, helical cut etc

P.A.R. have heaps of gearsets available for the Skyline (and other make of course) so if you've got a different make/model thats fine this group buy pricing may still apply to you, just let me know what you've got and what sort of box you want

Start date: 1.11.08

End date: 1.3.09

Delivery date: Due mid to late March

Supplier:

Precision Automation and Robotics (P.A.R.) Engineering

19 Saggart Field Road

Minto

NSW, 2566

Whats on offer: Up to 10% off the price for gearsets (see below) and like normal, the more people the more discount etc

When do we pay by?: You can pay and collect at the end of the GB (so everyone has the time to get the money ready) or if you need the gearset in a rush something can be worked out very easily

What do we get? Here it is straight from P.A.R.;

The Nissan FS5R30A transmission is fitted to a number of performance RWD and 4WD vehicles including the BNR32 and BCNR33 Skyline GTR and non-performance high torque applications in vehicles such as the Patrol/Safari and Pathfinder.

A number of changes have been made throughout the transmission life by Nissan, mainly multiple revisions of the 4th gear synchronizer baulk ring and hub assembly to facilitate better shift feel and minimize grinding under fast shifts. Although the FS5R30A has a very high torque capacity, 3rd gear is the weakest link and tends to fail in vehicles with alot of horsepower and performance clutches.

Available off the shelf is PAR's renown fully synchronized straight cut gearset for the extremely tough RB/VG power vehicles. These are a direct fit with the very latest Nissan OEM synchronizer revisions incorporated for ease of use and refinement.

Features:

- Tooth profiles that reduce noise, wear and load forces on the standard OEM transmission housing

- Multiple piece layshaft for ease of assembly, strength and ratio changes

- Shift retaining rings incorporated into design to eliminate over selection and synchronizer baulking

- 4th gear designed to fit latest revision Nissan OEM synchronizer baulk ring and hub/slider assembly for the best performance

- Retension of OEM 5th gear assembly provides OEM NVH levels during cruise and freeway driving

- Straight cut gears (1st~3rd) for maximum power transmission and minimal losses

- No cost helical gears option

Ratios:

- 1st: 3.1

- 2nd: 1.93

- 3rd: 1.31

- 4th: 1.0

- 5th: 0.7 (Optional)

Applications:

- Skyline BNR32 GTR

- BCNR33 GTR

- ECR33 GTS-25t

- ER33 GTS

- ENR33 GTS-4

- ER34 25GT-T

- ENR34 25GT-Four

- Fairlady/300ZX Z32

Technical note: Upgrade parts may be needed for early model boxes, these are included in the fitting cost

Note stock ratios for R32 GTR are;

1st: 3.214:1

2nd: 1.925:1

3rd: 1.302:1

4th: 1.000:1

5th: 0.752:1

...so you can see they're changed slightly. You can choose between PAR's ratios, stock ratios, or your own ratios!

Now for pricing this is where it gets really good!

Here's a quick comparison of PAR to OSGiken

(Based on current exchange rates)

OS Giken

OS Giken gearset with billet input shaft (helical gears only): $4700 (JustJap)

R33 Series 3 upgrade parts: Approx $650 (Nissan, price varies where you go)

R & R from a gearbox shop: $700 (Award Diff and Gearbox at Ryde, Sydney)

Total: $6050

PAR

PAR 1,2,3,4 gearset with billet input shaft (helical or straight gears, can be a mix): $3800 (Billet 5th gear is $640 if required, can be helical or straight)

R & R + Upgrade parts + Oil: $1083

RRP Total: $4883

Group Buy Total: $4503

Please note: $4503 is a driveaway price, so drop off your car to PAR, come back two weeks later and drive home!

So, you can have your own ratios, helical or straight cut gears with all upgrade parts and worn parts replaced for less than JUST the OS gears. Thats great value in anyone's books!!!

The price, like any GB is dependant on numbers, the above pricing is based on 5 sets, so more people means more discount and i will sort out the exact price with PAR once we get over 5 sets

Im doing this GB for a few reasons;

-I need a stronger gearbox

-Japanese based options are getting quite pricey due to the exchange rate

-Im sick of hearing about how much some traders are charging for new gearboxes (Eg JustJap sell standard boxes for $3200 +delivery), you would be crazy to not spend the extra $1303 and have it fully built

-Doing a reco on an old box just isnt a good way to spend money as you'll break it again without beefing up the internals (this can cost a fair amount and all you get is a stock box again!)

Oh one last thing: If you dont have the money right now and want one, i suggest you put away about $230 each week between now and then :P

So thats pretty much it guys, post up your questions and interest :(

Cheers

-Steve

1. N1GTR (R32 GTR) Full gearset/PAR ratios/Straight cut 1,2,3 helical 5th/fitting and R&R

Steve, Awesome price!

Do they supply new synchros,bearings,forks and fit the new gear into your gearbox for $4503??

(GTST)

Hell yeah! :D

Yes absolutley mate, thats a supply/replace/fit price. So they'll supply all the upgrade parts, replace worn parts, fit it all, then get it on the car ready to be driven home

out of interest, would they just sell the parts to build the box? if so, how much for all the go gear?

I'm in perth so im not going to drive all the way to NSW :(

:D

For sure thats easy! Yeah its not exactly a drive to the shops :D

The kit is $3800 plus postage to you (of course that depends on where you live etc). If there's other people over there who are keen i guess you could combine shipping

Or you can send your box over here to be built then mailed back - another option, albeit could be costly

Steve,

I have my gearbox out now, if i just take it down there ( they are around the corner form me) and they go to work on it, ill pick it up and put it in the car myself what would it cost me?

This is what i want done:

1,2,3,4 new helical gears

New synchros

New bearings

New input shaft

Does the kit come with new selector forks?

I'll give these gear sets a go as my R33 GTR needs a better box. I'm in Alice Springs but I'll be able to pull the box out and send it away.

I'm looking at the Straight cut gear set with the stock 5th. This price includes full series 3 upgrade right ?, as mine is a series 1 and will need the better sychros. Maybe even go the OS giken tall 1st ratio with the PAR gears.

I'm in for sure so let me know more about the specifics.

Cheers

I called P.A.R this morning, this is the run down:

PAR Gearset $3800+GST

Pull down and inspection on gearbox components $450+GST

Only damaged or worn parts will be replaced.

Helical gears wont be available until Feb next year, so there is some time to save :D

I also called Nissan this morning and they are getting back to me with synchro and ball racer prices.

EDIT: Racers and all syncros are $1000 (fark thats expensive)

So average price for the kit i guess will be around 6k

I'll give these gear sets a go as my R33 GTR needs a better box. I'm in Alice Springs but I'll be able to pull the box out and send it away.

I'm looking at the Straight cut gear set with the stock 5th. This price includes full series 3 upgrade right ?, as mine is a series 1 and will need the better sychros. Maybe even go the OS giken tall 1st ratio with the PAR gears.

I'm in for sure so let me know more about the specifics.

Cheers

No probs at all. Just read your sig, you've got a lot of power there! T88?

After Daves post above i will have to double confirm it includes all parts, but at this stage yes. You've got heaps of time to decide on ratios, the important thing is just that you're keen and what sort of set you want.

So would the below be ok for you?

2. BK (R33 GTR, series 1) All gears except 5th/OSGiken 1st, rest are PAR ratios/Straight cut, stock 5th/R&R

If thats right ill update the list :)

Also for payments ill be sorting that out in the next few months so there's plenty of time

I called P.A.R this morning, this is the run down:

PAR Gearset $3800+GST

Pull down and inspection on gearbox components $450+GST

Only damaged or worn parts will be replaced.

Helical gears wont be available until Feb next year, so there is some time to save :)

I also called Nissan this morning and they are getting back to me with synchro and ball racer prices.

EDIT: Racers and all syncros are $1000 (fark thats expensive)

So average price for the kit i guess will be around 6k

Yeah i got a quick update email today, was just about to post some more details but ive been out doing stuff for my gtr :/

-Yes those prices exclude GST, im pretty sure you can all figure out what to do about that.

-Worn parts will be replaced, no point replacing anything thats ok.

-These kits (as per the first post) need time to be made up, also PAR are relocating over the xmas break, so delivery dates are between mid to late March

Dave i had made sure his price included upgrade parts from Nissan and all other associated parts required?! That was confirmed on the phone

Dave i had made sure his price included upgrade parts from Nissan and all other associated parts required?! That was confirmed on the phone

Steve,

I guess they can buy the Nissan parts cheaper than i can (racers,syncros) so im going to budget 5.5k

If its cheaper, hooray to me.

they dont do anything for getrag 6 speed do they?

Dont know actually, ill find out monday and get back to you

Steve,

I guess they can buy the Nissan parts cheaper than i can (racers,syncros) so im going to budget 5.5k

If its cheaper, hooray to me.

Cool!

I might be interested in one for an R32 GTR but would like more information on the gearsets, how they compare to OS Giken and PPG. I've been doing a search on this forum and most of the feedback has not been positive. A lot of people breaking their PAR gearsets..

No probs at all. Just read your sig, you've got a lot of power there! T88?

After Daves post above i will have to double confirm it includes all parts, but at this stage yes. You've got heaps of time to decide on ratios, the important thing is just that you're keen and what sort of set you want.

So would the below be ok for you?

2. BK (R33 GTR, series 1) All gears except 5th/OSGiken 1st, rest are PAR ratios/Straight cut, stock 5th/R&R

If thats right ill update the list :laugh:

Don't know what turbo the R32 has exactly, but it's a garrett plain bearing with hks external gate. It's got a 1.00 a/r on the turbine. Been told it looks like either a TA45S or T51S but no full boost until at least 5500rpm. Going for fuel system and retune soon to 2 bar to try and get more boost response.

That right with the gearset. Stock 5th, Straight cut gears on 1st - 4th,

Ratios - 1st with 2.695, 2nd - 4th with PAR ratios

How much is this again, $6000 ?

And I'll need all the nissan stuff back that is pulled out of the box as I'll rebuild my stock R32 box with it - (need 3rd and countershaft).

Edited by BK

*anna here*

Ok did my research :)

Decision - I wants a PAR full billet 5 speed straight cut dogbox (yes they are billet forks ;), i checked it out today) .... Your pricing is for synchro-mesh ... I wants the true dog box....ie Daves PPG with out the 11K price tag :)

Be needing it soon.... my gearbox is holding together by a thread.... lol

So price on me dropping the box off and picking it back up.. we can throw it in the car ourselves :)

P.s... call me Steveo... got some interesting info ;)

Got a trust 6 speed dog in my R32 (worth around $14000). Awesome gearbox when racing, but after experiencing that for the last six months on the street, the last thing you want in a car that's driven on the street more than track is a dog box. Only go dog if you will well and truly smash a synchro setup.

Edited by BK

*anna here*

^^ thanks BK... :(

I understand whats involved and only drive 3kms to work each day.. besides there are a few spare daily's laying around for the quick jaunt to the local shops....

Daves has the PPG full monty dog box... which I have experienced... at least it drowns out the sound of his damn brakes!

There is only one synchro still in tact in my gearbox and thats 1st ..... and that's borderline..... whoops....

The PAR synchro option is only a strengthened 5th which is useless to me... and I have been told that I am rough on my gearbox anyways.. ;) (slamming into gear and not waiting for synchros - especially at the track)

The dog box will outlast the synchro option by far and the cost of replacing a synchro works out roughly the same replacing a dog gear anyways :)

And yes lots of track days planned now the car is finished .... and with Dave driving mine as well (he likes to destroy std and OS Giken boxes, granted both our cars have in excess of 350rwkw) its the only sensible option in terms of reliability and factoring in rebuild costs..