SAU Community

1.2 Bar Boost On Stock R34 Gt-r?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats a safe boost limit to run on an R34 GT-R V-Spec II? I only have Blitz Nur cat back exhaust & the rest is completely stock. It seems that most people say that 1.2 BAR is too much even for R34 GT-R's stock ceramic turbos? Is this true? Has anyone actually shattered their stock R34 GT-R turbos from 1.2 BAR boost?

I am contemplating getting the Greddy Profec B-Spec II and bumping boost up to a max 1.2 BAR... but then again maybe not?

Thanks in advance for any info/help!

it'll work, but it will eventually go bang.

The general rule of thumb for ceramic wheeled turbos is no more than 1 bar.

I ran 17-18psi through a toyota ct20b turbo (ceramic) and it lasted a bit over a year before it spat out the "fins" on the wheel :P

doesnt the R34 run steel wheels from the factory?

if they arent ceramic, and they will hold together at this pressure, ur still talking about wringing dam near 18psi out of tiny stock turbs, not sure how efficient they are at this boost...could be fine...but worth finding out

also just adding more boost without a retune wont yield the best results, look for some aftermarket management, even a piggyback ecu is a good option if you only want mild mods

uve spent money on a nice car, dont risk doing damage by increasing power/boost without making the appropriate support mods

Okay I see. So aftermarket turbos will be a necessity!!! But having said that, then the support systems will have to match... so what about the following then:

HKS GT-SS Turbos

NISMO 600cc Injectors

NISMO fuel pump

Apexi Power FC & Hand Controller

Trust Oil Cooler

Then Trust Profec B Spec II boost controller running @ 1.2 BAR.

Should produce some decent power/reliability then eh??? Or am I missing somthing here? :P

doesnt the R34 run steel wheels from the factory?

if they arent ceramic, and they will hold together at this pressure, ur still talking about wringing dam near 18psi out of tiny stock turbs, not sure how efficient they are at this boost...could be fine...but worth finding out

also just adding more boost without a retune wont yield the best results, look for some aftermarket management, even a piggyback ecu is a good option if you only want mild mods

uve spent money on a nice car, dont risk doing damage by increasing power/boost without making the appropriate support mods

R34 GT-R's still run ceramic wheels. Its only the R34 N1 that have steel ones so unfortunately i dun have them. :P

u dont need dumps, just get front pipe and a boost controller. I run 1.2 bar for daily driving, no dramas at all as you are not on boost all the time.

If I do a cruise, putty road for example where it will be on and off boost constantly I just knock it back to 1 bar.

Ive got mine set to 1bar as those internal gates arent very good at controlling boost in the first couple of gears which can spike boost to 1.20

test your boost in 3rd on the freeway all the way till bout 7000rpm and check the highest reading; it should be 1.01 or 1.04 etc

you want some leeway to keep the spike down; if you set yours to 1.20bar im sure it'll go higher when you take off hard in 1st and full throttle 2nd.

Then they will blow!

add dumps and front pipe and you've got a winner :ermm:

Have you seen R34 GTR Dumps?

They dont need changing at all, they are easily good for over 350rwkw.

See Snowman's graph, thats with stock dumps and better than most people on here for the power.

Stock airbox

Stock dumps

Dont need a EBC really

• 2 months later...

I'd like to see where people are getting their information on R34GTR's having ceramic turbine wheels. I have information to the contrary by a reputable Garrett company and tomorrow I will have proof when I check the one I have here. Stay tuned.

Maybe the people that have killed them?

GTRGeoff purchased Snowmans old turbos (ceramic), they spat a rear wheel just like any other GTR turbo does... i think cost him a motor possibly too, again, just like ant other GTR turbo can do

Ive turned my boost down a tad, ramps to 1.05 or so in the first 2 gears, 3rd gear full load is 1.00kg/cm on da dot.

umm something in r34 gtr turbos are ceramic, nissan did it to increase torque over the r32/33; mine are holding up nicely still but i will be changing to some new garrett or hks items simply for reliability.

so R34 GTR has better dump pipes than R32 and R33 GTR ??

my car is stock at the moment apart from Fujitsubo Legalis exhaust , K&N panel filter and 100mm thick intercooler

during the day boost peaks at 1.1bar and at night 1.25bar

and i dont have a boost controller .... :happy:

what should i do ??

Edited by TuLaLiT