SAU Community

Should you buy a Skyline for a first car?

my first car is the one i have had for 18 months now. was a 1.8 litre turbo, had no balls, put the 25det in. and today i got pulled over, and done up the arse, for power to weight, and a bunch of other stuff.

$300 fine, and now not being allowed to drive the car, only got to drive it for about 3 weeks.....

was only doing 60 in a 60 zone, but the copper got jealous, and wanted to know why his ford was no good... i paid the price i guess.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im a big believer in starting off with a shit car

skylines are too expesnisve to fix little scratches and dings (which most peopel have when they first start driving)

id be caining some shit box around for a few years, then grab a skyline when insurance is more affordable and you konw what you are doing behind the wheel

i started off in a 79 civic, moved to a mirage and now to my skyline

no accidents yet! (touch wood)

im just 18, just got my r33 gts-t, but i wanted to have some experiance under my belt so my old man gave a 4clyliner front wheeler. u need that time in a shi*fighter b4 u get in animal rear wheel drive cars, that just loveeee to step out :D

definatly wouldnt get a good car for a first car, even if you have the dollars. Most of my mates on their P's have had an accident, most of them, luckily, not major... but if someones egging u on to rip it up outside a party, you will, don't kid yourself, ive seen this sort of thing go horribly wrong.

definatly wouldnt get a good car for a first car, even if you have the dollars. Most of my mates on their P's have had an accident, most of them, luckily, not major... but if someones egging u on to rip it up outside a party, you will, don't kid yourself, ive seen this sort of thing go horribly wrong.

Originally posted by Daz

Is his plates 'PPLATER'. There is a really nice white R34 Gt-t, I always see it parked on Rooks Road near Kamikazee.

nah he has different plates and lives round tullamarine, got a gtr kit on it, dabigdolf i thought that thepower to weight ratio bs was only when it came out of factory as they cant prove if its over the limit accuratly wifout a dyno. so wat happens if u get caught again?

some ppl speed. some ppl dont.

its his first car. get a toyota echo. comes with drivers airbag. front wheel drive. cost arnd the same as a 'line.

will save his life "SHOULD" he be the irresponsible type.

Should he not, then it wouldnt matter anyways but is it a risk you would be takin to find out if he is the responsible type or not?

when u find out, it'll be too late.

go with the echo i think.

my 2 c.

I think im a responsible driver now that im 23. But if anyone wants me to fang it a bit.... i still get tempted, im not game to take on skylines yet (need more mods :)). Im just lucky I have 4wd, although not as fun as hanging the rear end out in my falcon (hehe my bogan days) it is sooooo sure footed. The skylines have a reputation for snapping around on you, especially in the wet, and especially again if you don't understand the powercurve.

Thats said, there are also exceptions to the rule. There will be some kid out there with an r34 gtr with 500kw who never put a scratch on it. And there will be some dude who goes through 5 shitboxes with 35kw.

Some of it is being in the wrong place at the wrong time, some of it is down to the driver AND their experience.

As a few have already said, its the maturity of the driver that matters, he/she should know not to push the car more than they can control.

Im only 19 and the first car i learnt on was an 86 telstar, by the time i hit 17 i was driving mate's 180's and skylines and learnt slowly how to handle something alot more powerful.

When 18, i bought my 180SX and drove that without any problems (and as two40 knows, i enjoy alot of sideways action).

Now i work for a company that imports alot of skylines, including big horsepower GTR's, ive had the privelage of driving some of these cars, and havnt even scrathed one of em.

If this is his first powerful car that he will drive, and is quite the dare devil, then go to a few track days and driving courses so he can be more confident in controlling a car such as a skyline.

But if he is a smart chap and wont do anything he knows he cant control, then go for it, and learn slowly.

cheers

another thing you gotta consider is the crap you cop with being a p plater with a skyline...

i got defected a while ago in my car (im on my green p's), the whole exercise has ended up costing me a massive amount (probably around $3000!), rego was cancelled and i have to get a blue slip and another full years rego, when i already had six months rego.

skylines are a hell of a lot of fun, but theres a downside too... looks like i lernt the hard way...

sorry everyone, this is the last skyline/import i will ever buy, way way to many dramas with this car...

Originally posted by sumfatchin

another thing you gotta consider is the crap you cop with being a p plater with a skyline...

i got defected a while ago in my car (im on my green p's), the whole exercise has ended up costing me a massive amount (probably around $3000!), rego was cancelled and i have to get a blue slip and another full years rego, when i already had six months rego.

skylines are a hell of a lot of fun, but theres a downside too... looks like i lernt the hard way...

sorry everyone, this is the last skyline/import i will ever buy, way way to many dramas with this car...

what were the defects for?

as far as im concerned, you either play by the rules - or get prepared to be burnt.

having a boost guage on the A-pillar, it got it on the way to work at 7 in the morning on a saturday. I was playing buy the rules, i think it's very ****ing unreasonable the amount of brain damage ive had to go through to fix this defect. It wasn't just a simple as removing the guage, i had to get a full inspection carried out on the car, which was a huge hassel cause i had to take time off work to get it organised. On top of that, the RTA was absolutly no help whatsoever in giving me advice. Ive been ripped off every step of the way...

• 7 months later...
having a boost guage on the A-pillar, it got it on the way to work at 7 in the morning on a saturday. I was playing buy the rules, i think it's very ****ing unreasonable the amount of brain damage ive had to go through to fix this defect. It wasn't just a simple as removing the guage, i had to get a full inspection carried out on the car, which was a huge hassel cause i had to take time off work to get it organised. On top of that, the RTA was absolutly no help whatsoever in giving me advice. Ive been ripped off every step of the way...

Couldnt agree with you more that the RTA was no help.. I only just got my first skyline a few weeks ago and even I had a minor defect. :D There are a lot of things "they" can defect you for, BOV, wing, height, exhause, even turbo timer! (yes the car yard people I no told me about it). Bottomline is if you drive a nice import you will get shafted for it. Play by the rules like someone mentioned and the chance of you getting pulled over is less, but not none.

I dont understand why people ask if they should get a skyline for a first car, personally if the person drives sensibly, can afford running cost of the car and can withstand a crash with their car (**** happens even if its not your fault). Then by all means get a skyline.

Personally if a person ask me this question in real life, I would say get something that is N/A, cheap to run, easy to maintain and save up for a nice skyline when they are more confident on the road and can afford a skyline. :P

Skyline = expensive to run (fuel, insurance,etc) , maintain and will get you into some grief with some people. Upside is that it is a very nice car to drive and gets you attention.

PS. I aint saying that young people will always crash, just most of the idiots out there that think they are top **** and do very very stupid things to impress people that ruins the reputation of young drivers.