SAU Community

Should you buy a Skyline for a first car?

skyline was my first car..

r32 gts4.. the 4wd saved me a few times too..

i didnt get insurance.. risky i guess

pulled over by cops once in 11 months

i was 18 when i got it.

were you making a conscious effort to be safe?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

r32 gts4.. the 4wd saved me a few times too..

i didnt get insurance.. risky i guess

what were you doing to be saved by the 4wd? and didn't you even have 3rd party ?

Spend a max of 5 grand on a manual R31 and limited mods, and drive that for a couple of years. Solid car, quick enough to be some fun and not too bad down the twisties. They're well equipped and reasonably cheap to insure.

Bank the rest of your money

Have fun and learn in that, THEN step up to a turbo R33

If you really want to get a R33 or R32 turbo now instead, ask yourself why you want it... if its because they're fast, you'll probably crash it. If its because you can then be a l33t drifter, you'll probably crash it. If its to impress your mates, grow up.

Actually, I can't think of any good reasons to get one... you'll get reamed by insurance, picked on by cops, and there is always the possibility that you'll run out of road.

I could have gotten my car years ago, but I waited until I knew I was responsible enough to handle it... went through a heap of other cars (some quick, some not, but all with redeeming qualities) then got the 'line I'd always wanted. Because I like the way it looks, its heritage, and it will be fun at mallala when I get the time to start sprinting again.

I did the time driving crap boxes till i could afford the skyline.. its paid off in many ways.

And cop will barely look under the bonnet once you're over the age of 25 as long as you're not acting like a dickhead, or talking like a dickhead to the cop when you get pulled over. All I can say, is keep your mods sensible, and keep them removable.. And I guess most importantly, learn how to take them on and off yourself for when/if the time comes.

"4WD " in the GTR, or any other GTR is no fail safe. In fact many times 4WD sports car drivers become unstuck as the car doesn't always glue itself to the road and its that time it just *doesn't* that gets you.

At least with a RWD you know it needs to be driven with a bit of respect at all times.

i had a s3 trx bluebird, then bought dat 1600 with z18et now still got the 16 and bought a 4 door skyzy 5sp turbs,

i remember first driving the 16 after my bluey bb clutch i was shaking love that car haha thats why i havent sold it plus getting hard to by in decent condition aswell!!!