SAU Community

How To Get Rid Of Hard Water Marks From Windows

Kujotk

So i've got the same issue.. mine are very stubborn water marks, have tried just about everything, made no difference at all!

Windex

Autosol

Metho

Acetone

Toothpaste

Dish washing detergant

Paint stripper

Any other suggestions?

Try an aluminium wheel cleaner that has hydrofluoric acid in it. A small amount only (less than 2%). High concentrations can be very harmful, even lethal. But you are very unlikely to find that in retail products.

Wash it straight off after cleaning your windows, if you leave it on it will etch or damage the glass. For removing bore stains there is nothing better. High concentrations cannot be stored in glass because of the reaction with it.

Try an aluminium wheel cleaner that has hydrofluoric acid in it. A small amount only (less than 2%). High concentrations can be very harmful, even lethal. But you are very unlikely to find that in retail products.

Wash it straight off after cleaning your windows, if you leave it on it will etch or damage the glass. For removing bore stains there is nothing better. High concentrations cannot be stored in glass because of the reaction with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Gumption worked for me after nothing else would.

So i've got the same issue.. mine are very stubborn water marks, have tried just about everything, made no difference at all!

Windex

Autosol

Metho

Acetone

Toothpaste

Dish washing detergant

Paint stripper

Any other suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Windex

Autosol

Metho

Acetone

Toothpaste

Dish washing detergant

Paint stripper

Any other suggestions?

I pretty much tried all those things mentioned above after lots of research. None worked and was the biggest waste of time :rant:

And then I came across this Zaino Z12: http://www.zainobros.com.au/prod15.htm

It just works, its freakin magic. It took me a couple hours to do all my windows, but it was worth it and they look brand new now.

some of these things will melt the rubber around the windows or even etch the glass. and harm paint, or scratch the glass worse .

and extremely flamable after the fact in rags

if somethng like vineger and mircrofiber rag , the try megs Scratch X if that doesnt take it off then

use a commercial glass polish mine had osaka acid rain on it from the docks fixed it first try . just tape off the rubber to keep it black.

Im a spray painter and in the trade we use steelwool and windex. Windows always come up a treat. Do inside and outside then clean it like usual.

Its one of the first things i do to a car when i clean it up after purchase, its amazing how clean windows can make a car look so much neater.

You can also use razor blades to scrape up and down on a window, but just use heaps of windex while your scraping and spray more as you scrape. Steelwool should do the trick though.

Cheers.

Im a spray painter and in the trade we use steelwool and windex. Windows always come up a treat. Do inside and outside then clean it like usual.

Its one of the first things i do to a car when i clean it up after purchase, its amazing how clean windows can make a car look so much neater.

You can also use razor blades to scrape up and down on a window, but just use heaps of windex while your scraping and spray more as you scrape. Steelwool should do the trick though.

Cheers

we do a similar thing where i work .... to remove any old glue from stickers or when doing a brand new car the paint on the windows ..

it seems to work okay but im not too sure on the whole "safety" and stuff of it .. personally wouldnt try it on my car

a point to note though is if the car has tinting DO NOT use windex on the interior glass

warm water with a good microfibre is much better, or something like stoners invisible glass - make sure its safe on tint!!!

we do a similar thing where i work .... to remove any old glue from stickers or when doing a brand new car the paint on the windows ..

it seems to work okay but im not too sure on the whole "safety" and stuff of it .. personally wouldnt try it on my car

a point to note though is if the car has tinting DO NOT use windex on the interior glass

warm water with a good microfibre is much better, or something like stoners invisible glass - make sure its safe on tint!!!

Oh yeah i did forget to say not to use steelwool on the inside if it is tinted... But i have used windex on tint before without a problem? Just out of curiosity, why dont you use it, can it make the tint lift?? Wouldn't mind knowing more.

Cheers

its hard to explain but it basically looks like its peeling and stuff in spots?

i think thats what happened anyway, cos the tint on the familys XC90 was peeling and flaking off in places and when we showed it to tint a car their first reaction was - windex?

ive been told by people who install tinting and final inspection and other good detailers its just unsafe on tint

the people who installed the security tint/film on my house glass also told me not to use windex anymore - microfibre and warm water

the stuff we use to clean windows at my work seems like windex though - and it hasnt caused any damage and ive done more than a 100 cars with it ...

i just wouldnt risk it on any of my cars with so many professionals warning me against it

much cheaper in the long run to just buy a good MF and a good auto glass cleaning solution than to just use windex and find out one day in the future that it buggers up your tint imo

if someone with more knowledge could clear up exactly what it does to tint that would be great cheers.gif

Hi guys,

I'm a professional glass restorer and am constantly removing hard-water stains from car/boat windows, shower screens etc...

For stage 1 glass corrosion (95% of windows will have at least some of this), I use a product called Winsol Crystal Clear 550 (CC550). This usually removes most of the stains with ease. It works by dissolving the mineral build-up and is the quickest and least messy way of completing the job.

For more stubborn water spots (you can do it this way for light stains too), I use cerium oxide powder which is mixed with demineralised water to form a slurry. I then use a felt pad and polishing tool to polish the stains out. My polishing tool is worth over $1500 but for the DIY guys, you can use a felt pad (purchased from your local hardware store) attached to your household drill and remove the stains this way. It's a lot quicker than polishing by hand but if you have to go down that road, use Superfine Steel Wool (0000 gauge). This is abrasive enough to remove the stains but will not scratch the glass. I get all my supplies from these guys as they are the cheapest around http://fcwc.com.au/shop

Once the glass is restored, I apply a product called Sani-Shield which offers a lasting protection for up to 12 months from the hard-water stains forming again. A cheaper option is RainX

To clean the glass/window/shower screen, simply use soapy solution. You don't want to use anything too harsh otherwise you may compromise the protective sealant.

NEW WEBSITE HERE: http://onlinecleaningsolutions.com.au

Winsol Crystal Clear 550 here: http://onlinecleanin...ategory&path=51