SAU Community

Stock Airbox Q.

kidafa

Hi All,

Was putting a Hi-Flow panel filter in the stag the other day and was wondering what the material is that is sort of clipped on to the top of the air box? The only reason i can think of for it to be their is for sound deadening? What do you guys think? Thinking if thats the only reason its going to get removed :banana:

Here it is:

post-40162-1226665272_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

my k&n filter instructions say it's a "charcoal barrier and is part of the emissions system"

i left mine on cause there's no real gain in taking it off..

k&n. can you feel the gain, is it like having no box?

reason im asking, im using a pod atm wanna go back to box

I got rid of my pod and put a Pipercross PP1128-MX in the airbox (cheaper than other brands) and put the snorkel back on. I am going to cut a hole in the front of the top half of the box and run a pipe from behind the LH headlight to add to the cold air supply.

i might pull it out then... no airbox lid feels more responsive, and no different to a pod?(filter on obviously)
Well that's right... no airbox lid will be similar to the pod in that your incoming air will be subject to the hot underbonnet temperatures. That's why you are better to leave the lid on and use the standard snorkel and/or a cold air supply system.

Well that's right... no airbox lid will be similar to the pod in that your incoming air will be subject to the hot underbonnet temperatures. That's why you are better to leave the lid on and use the standard snorkel and/or a cold air supply system.

i am aware of that, the snorkel stayed on obviously... lid has been back on for a while, was just curious ;)

how would it "deaden" any sound since the air is going in through a snorkel and a intake pipe and a filter that has no sound proofing

it would'nt just be that specific spot that would create a sound, would it?

It add's a little more response and it seems to pull a little harder than with a paper filter and it lasts a lifetime, apparently.

how would it "deaden" any sound since the air is going in through a snorkel and a intake pipe and a filter that has no sound proofing

it would'nt just be that specific spot that would create a sound, would it?

I'm guessing it has an effect on how the air circulates within the airbox, and this is what reduces the noise. Maybe it creates sound at a certain frequency which "cancels out" other noises which naturally occur at an opposite end of the frequency range. This is how sound-cancelling headphones work, so maybe this is similar.

im thinkn of replacing my stock panel with a k&n and somehow custom a larger snorkel and add a deflector. i think thatl be easiest way of improving flow and keep temp to min.

anyone done anything simalar.

oiled filter can foul the AFM, go with a dry filter such as an apex or similar panel or pod(even some cheaper brands should be fine.

im thinkn of replacing my stock panel with a k&n and somehow custom a larger snorkel and add a deflector. i think thatl be easiest way of improving flow and keep temp to min.

anyone done anything simalar.

Yep I got rid of my pod and fitted the original airbox and snorkel with a pipercross (PP1128-MX)filter. I am hoping to get an air deflector next month and I am also planning to cut a hole in the top of the airbox and run a pipe from behind the left hand headlight for an extra cold air supply. Will post up pics when done.