SAU Community

Secondary Oil Filter For Turbo

Rekin

Hey,

Purchased a turbo and getting it rebuilt.

When it was pulled apart the cause of the problem was oil contamination. Dirt got into the bearings and created a tiny flat spot causing the bearings to sound really loud etc.

The turbo rebuilder suggested to fit a secondary oil filter adapter between the turbo and the block to prevent anything like this happening.

(note it wasnt my car which rooted the turbo)

Has anyone heard of placing an inline oil filter to the turbo? Is it overkill when my oil+filter are changed every 5000km? Turbo rebuilder doesnt want to see me returning with the same problem hence why he suggested this just to be safe.

He quoted me $150 for the adapter (it basically looks like a remote oil filter kit)

Would like to hear what the pro's recommend :P

Should i buy the turbo oil filter adaptor or not?

Cheers

we run a peterson fuel filter inline with the -4 line to the turbo as an oil filter. They are accessible so you can open it and clean it out and put it back together instead of throwing away filter and replacing it. Easier to inspect exactly what its catching. I think its a 40 micron element from memory.

Other bonus is its alot smaller then another oil filter and remote block. Would only be 1" in diameter and maybe 3" tall.

i run similar to Michael - inline filter on turbo oil feed line - $150 isnt too bad, but these things are cleanable and still small.

read of too many of these bearing issues wo ran teh filter.

For a stock setup, as long as you service the car and change the filter - it shouldnt be a problem.

Most of the guys posting here so far are running big $$$ setups which isnt the same as your average streeter :)

IMO you dont need one, ive never run one and never had a problem as have many 10's of 1000's of people :(

cheers all for the information. Interesting to hear that some people do run a similar setup.

Decided not to get one for my car, as it sounds a bit overkill for a daily.

If only the previous owner had one or used some clean oil, then i wouldnt have had to repair his mistakes :)

The risks of buying secondhand from yahoo auctions :(

• 5 months later...

Dont know about the powersteering filter, But i schould work fine... But i just want to know a good place to order the peterson -4 inline filter? if there still is someone who use one reding this thread :P

//Anton, Sweden

Ps, sorry for some bad english

Dont know about the powersteering filter, But i schould work fine... But i just want to know a good place to order the peterson -4 inline filter? if there still is someone who use one reding this thread :happy:

//Anton, Sweden

Ps, sorry for some bad english

http://www.petersonfluidsys.com/dealer_intl.html

Do not use a small Micro in line filter. It doesn't do much. Its a filter that looked like a oil relocate kit with a engine oil filter. So you just change that filter every time you do service. This is a common filter used in Trucks and earth moving equipments.

Do not use a small Micro in line filter. It doesn't do much. Its a filter that looked like a oil relocate kit with a engine oil filter. So you just change that filter every time you do service. This is a common filter used in Trucks and earth moving equipments.

Funny you should say that, ive seen them save many turbos. Saying they dont do much is really just plain stupidity/ignorance. Having a filter, regardless if its a 15 micron oil filter or a 45 micron fuel filter is better then having nothing. If you blow your motor up, or you somehow get a large about of foreign particles in the oil, atleast you will save the turbo.

At the end of the day, either option is viable.

Ok. Here is a filter of a Micro filter. I've placed it on a 5 Cents Coin. Understand what cause XR6 Turbo's turbo to seize up now?

103_0006.JPG

Here's proper in line oil filter which we use on Trucks and CAT turbos.

103_0001.JPG

103_0004.JPG

Incase you don't get it The GT30 turbos in BA fails due to oil starvation as the tinny filter gets blocked by dirt.

Always something to learn , so the Fords have a std turbo feed filter do they or is it aftermarket ones that trap crud and block up ?

I probably shouldn't ask buy why do the Ford engines have crud in them to start with or is that self explanatory .

Also does anyone have a pic of the Peterson -4 filter .

Cheers A .

filt_spryfilt.jpg

Valve Train Spraybar Filter

Peterson introduces our new spraybar oil filter. It features -4 AN male end caps with a 60 micron stainless screen filter element. Billet aluminum construction throughout.

09-0730 Spraybar Oil Filter -4 AN 60 Micron

Disco - thats the only -4an oil filter I could find on pertersons website