SAU Community

6boost Steampipe Manifolds

Proximity Motorsport

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Sorry for my late reply, I flew to sydney for the weekend to help my sister move.

To answer some questions:

1: I cannot do stock position low mount manifolds for RB20/25. There is simply NO room for a manifold, if anyone has ever back to back tested those cheap stainless manifolds, they actually spool later and make same or less power in my experience. I have seen this on 2 cars, one with standard hiflow, the other GT35. The problem is room, the turbo points straight at the engine, and is about 2" from the head face. Just not doable to any decent standard. Sorry:(

2: My RB26 low mount manifolds are standard position, I have done many of them, and never had a single car have "surge issues" without a balance pipe. I don't have time to go into massive detail right now about it, but there is absolutely no need for a balance pipe. If anything, its the worst thing you could do for spool and HP. Think of a divided manifold and turbo, your trying to use pulse tuning by keeping the gasses divided all the way to the turbo, similarly to a twin turbo on a 6, front 3 runners go to one turbo, the back 3 to the other. Running a balance pipe would be like drilling a hole clean thru the divider in the split manifold. Compressor surge happens when the turbo's are trying to flow more air into the engine than it can consume at that RPM and load point. So how the hell is running a balance pipe between 2 manifolds suddenly going to make the engine flow more air so it no longer compressor surges?? It can't, and won't, and if anything, IMO would actually make it worse due to poorer pulse tuning.

If anyone has back to back tested them and found the opposite, I'd love to hear from you. Otherwise my point remains. Another thing is that the other manufacturers don't use merge collectors. While you might think they look all neat and free flowing, we did a manifold for Rob Baraks Evo3, which had a VERY similar design manifold to those low mount 26 manifolds, and by changing to my manifold, picked up 380rpm of spool (huge) and 31kw at all 4. The air hits the turbine so efficiently and with such velocity with a merge collector that I would find it hard for the air from one turbo to effect the other.

3: All my manifolds are designed to suit 3 litre bottom ends. Regardless of what you order, be it RB20 or 25, it will still sit low enough that if you went to a 3 litre bottom end you would have ample bonnet clearance. I own a R32 skyline myself with a 26/30 in it and this was used to jig up most manifolds. We can fit anything from a T28 all the way up to a GT55 under the bonnet, with anything in between.

If anyone has any specific questions, please email me directly at [email protected], and I will reply in more detail there. Please make your order here with Leon tho as I appreciate his efforts to start and run the group buy and taking one payment from him for all goods will make life a lot easier.

Kind regards,

Kyle

6boost.com

0410 730 598

Edited by 6BOOST

Forget balance pipes, guys, and whatever you do, don't compare a properly designed merge-collector manifold to a chinese P.O.S. in stainless.

If you need to know what a poorly designed manifold can do to your engine, ask me to send you through the bill for my engine rebuild.

And everybody in the group buy needs to tell me what turbo and gate they are running, not just high/external, as I could build everything from a T28 high mount with a 38mm gate for a RB26 up to a GT55 high mount with 60mm gate. So please give Leon details of what flange/turbo you want to run and what size gate. I recommend minimum 44mm and if you haven't purchased a gate yet, the new turbosmart 50mm. If you need gates with manifold contact Leon about arranging one with your manifold from me at cost price.

Regards.........................6BOOST

Thanks Kyle for that info. Again here is the bank details.... Ill send out a group PM to everyone who was already put down a deposit and another one to the fellows who are waiting on answers, just to let you know that kyle is now available to help, as im just a customer not a manifold expert :P

If interested full payment is needed by FRIDAY so i can get the moneys off to kyle to get there babies ordered

National Australia Bank

Acc Name: Leon Minic

BSB: 084-792

Acc Number 79-164-3300

I'm out, sorry.

Stock position would be nice (and cheap), but just out of interest, how much would a custom dump and front pipe be?

Cheers

-Reece

Could possible still use standard dump just might need custom front pipe. But may also need to modify cooler hoses and intake pipe. Maximum $500 from my local mechanic... dont know about yours though

Kyle, a few questions

1) What is the largest turbo you can run for a low mount RB25/30? im not worried about keeping factory location, only want low mount.

2) I run a 3L bottom end, but the block wasnt ground flat on the exhaust side where it bolts to the head, so my standard manifold fouled (ended up having to grind 5-10mm off the flange) Will your manifolds bolt up without any problems?

Edited by MintR33