SAU Community

The Defected Thread...

Cubes

They check everything, a mechanic should know what needs doing for a car to be roadworthy.

yup, what he said, take it to a well known jap mech' and they know a fair bit about clearing defects..

i would think a torque splitter would be ok

don't quote my but my thoughts are its only if you change the emissions they they get funny

nah its anytime you change the manufacturers specification they dont like it

thats why aftermarket ecu's and boost controllers are also illegal, nothing to do with emissions - they simply want you to leave the car the way the manufacturer intended it as they dont trust aftermarket mods from a safety point of view - which of course we know is nonsense but thats the govt for ya really...

-D

nah its anytime you change the manufacturers specification they dont like it

thats why aftermarket ecu's and boost controllers are also illegal, nothing to do with emissions

No offence but that is quite wrong,

Changing boost and ecu's WILL change emissions from the car. If you can prove that they don't (get an engineers report with an emissions test and appropriate gear to change emissions so they're equal or less than manufacturers specifications) then regency will not pick on you for that at all. This usually involves getting a very conservative tune and fitment of 2 catalytic converters so it can get costly.

Ive gone through 4 times in the last year, have had guages, swaybars, nolathane adjustable suspension bushes, brake bits and pieces, a tightly shimmed diff etc etc all fitted to my car and have passed through with them on. Last time i went through I had 4 guys look over my car at the same time and still passed.

They check over cars and make sure they are up to road standard, has nothing to do with stock or not. First time I went through my car was a dead stock automatic granny special and i had to replace bushes, tie rods, one suspension linkage and a few hoses.

LOL are you on drugs? or..

That is what I just paid, I've got the receipt if you want to see it. Full road worthy inspection, same as a defect as far as I know.

Edited by Rolls

That is what I just paid, I've got the receipt if you want to see it. Full road worthy inspection, same as a defect as far as I know.

nah i dont think thats right as your car was from interstate

$214 for first inspection. $71 for 2nd.

Holyyy macaronyyyy!!!!! $214 for first inspection? farkk that sounds exspensive..... i used to always pay $143 for the first inspection unless the price have gone up??

nah i dont think thats right as your car was from interstate

There was a defect inspection going on next to me and it was identical, they even used the same forms. I had changed my engine and upgraded brakes though so they used the brake dyno and drove it around the block, perhaps that was what the extra cost was. I had heard the price had gone up recently though so I thought that was just the going rate for a full roadworthy, or perhaps a defect inspection is not classed as a 'full roadworthy'.

So yeah maybe it was $143 + extra? Best bet it to call and confirm, take you 5 minutes.

Edited by Rolls

No offence but that is quite wrong,

Changing boost and ecu's WILL change emissions from the car. If you can prove that they don't (get an engineers report with an emissions test and appropriate gear to change emissions so they're equal or less than manufacturers specifications) then regency will not pick on you for that at all. This usually involves getting a very conservative tune and fitment of 2 catalytic converters so it can get costly.

so you could get a bigger turbo and fit a few catalyic converters and presuming it met emissions it would be legal?

so you could get a bigger turbo and fit a few catalyic converters and presuming it met emissions it would be legal?

It needs to have a full emissions test which is expensive and often hard to meet. You also often need upgraded brakes and various other things which will need an engineers report etc.

You would be looking at a few thousand dollars to get it all signed off and road legal.

It needs to have a full emissions test which is expensive and often hard to meet. You also often need upgraded brakes and various other things which will need an engineers report etc.

You would be looking at a few thousand dollars to get it all signed off and road legal.

what he said ^^

emissions test is one thing, youll need to have en engineer hire out a test track for a day and test out the brakes etc etc.

Emissions tests are easy to get past, its the other tests that an engineer has to do that cost a lot more. Best bet is to call up a regency approved engineer and have a chat to him about it.