SAU Community

Japanese Aftermarket Radio Conversion

R-sanichi

I'm soon to take ownership of an R34 4 door GT-T. It has a Carrozzeria TV/Sat nav and Radio tuner. Can the radio tuner be converted using one of those $15 devices? Has anyone here done this and willing to give advice?

Many thanks,

Michael.

Fm frequency expander and yes. I have the same set up. I am trying to get the HDD/DVD player to work the TV. The TV works perfect with a new arial. The Sat Nav I think will never work, although in saying that the box for the arials says that arials can be changed no problems. I am taking it in on Saturday to see what we can do.

Everything works mint, the DVD player only plays ntsc disks but apparently it can be reflashed to play PAL stuff.

So TV, check, DVD check, Sat Nav - we will change ariels and flash HDD with Aust maps on Saturday and see

Guys, you can buy a half decent local deck for $200, get that and a single DIN pocket, and your problems are solved. Never kept my Japanese head units.

That might be what I resort to. But, I like to explore the options first. $15 vs $200 is quite a few cases of beer in difference...

If is not even worth expanding the frequency, I'm not gonna be bothered doing a half-arsed job, and will just replace the unit. I hope I can still use the dvd player as it seems its physically a separate unit.

I will checek it out when I actually get the car next week. I'm so excited.

I've never had a problem with the band expanders...

I think some of the old ones had a switch that changed them from 15-20mhz frequency boost... so maybe the one dori32 has is like that and its on 15, or just not hooked up right.

If you're not aware, the unit will still show Jap frequency numbers, you just add 20 to get the desired station you want.

eg, 106.9 will show 86.9 on the Jap unit, 97.3 will show 77.3 etc etc.

Am stations are unchanged

do not get the ones that simultaneously expannd 12 and 20. they are crap and are probably why you get bad reception. you want one that only shifts 18mhz. that is the best solution. trust me. having owned dozens of cars with jap stereos and tried heaps of different band expanders, the only one worth having is the 18mhz one (well in nsw at least could be different in other states).

I have a GTT with the TV/Cassette player too and I'd get a new deck but the facia on this thing is V shaped so a standard deck will leave a gap on atleast one side. Is there any simple way to fill this gap that doesn't look dodgy?

• 3 months later...