SAU Community

R33 Antenna Always Up With New Headunit

Ryan12

I just bought a new headunit for my r33, its a Pioneer 7050BT - Now when i was wiring it up it didnt appear to have an antenna wire of any sort, so its basically just wired up now when the ignition comes on the antenna pops up.

Is there anyway of wiring up this unit so that it only pops up when i turn on the radio rather than having it up all the time? My previous $80 headunit had this antenna feature but not this $500 unit.

If there is someway i can do it that would be great!

I just bought a new headunit for my r33, its a Pioneer 7050BT - Now when i was wiring it up it didnt appear to have an antenna wire of any sort, so its basically just wired up now when the ignition comes on the antenna pops up.

Is there anyway of wiring up this unit so that it only pops up when i turn on the radio rather than having it up all the time? My previous $80 headunit had this antenna feature but not this $500 unit.

If there is someway i can do it that would be great!

Pioneer has a remote wire which is blue with a white stripe. This is what you use to trigger your antenna, it will pop your antenna up when ever the stereo is on.

Hope that helps..

Pioneer has a remote wire which is blue with a white stripe. This is what you use to trigger your antenna, it will pop your antenna up when ever the stereo is on.

Hope that helps..

Thanks mate

Will the antenna pop up every time the stereo is 'on'... Or only when radio is activated on the headunit?

My 9850BT did not have an antenna wire, i had to hook it up to the amp remote which means its up when ever the head unit is on, my antenna broke recently so i put it down and cut the wire, i actually get better radio reception with the antenna down than with it up.

Also dont get too excited about the BT, the most mine would hold a connection for is 5mins, asked a mate that works at pioneer and they are blaming nokia for the problem, i have an old blue ant hands free and that does not have a problem but a $1000 head unit does..........

Pioneer only does it when the radio is on.

really? I have a pioneer deck in my silvia. and it puts up the antena whenever the stereo is on, not just for the radio. it's annoying, I only want it up when the radio is on. maybe I can just wire in a switch or something.

really? I have a pioneer deck in my silvia. and it puts up the antena whenever the stereo is on, not just for the radio. it's annoying, I only want it up when the radio is on. maybe I can just wire in a switch or something.

That's what i did with my Pioneer unit. Wired the antenna to the amp trigger wire and then put an override switch, so that i could manually put the antenna up if i am listening to the radio.

My 9850BT did not have an antenna wire, i had to hook it up to the amp remote which means its up when ever the head unit is on, my antenna broke recently so i put it down and cut the wire, i actually get better radio reception with the antenna down than with it up.

Also dont get too excited about the BT, the most mine would hold a connection for is 5mins, asked a mate that works at pioneer and they are blaming nokia for the problem, i have an old blue ant hands free and that does not have a problem but a $1000 head unit does..........

Ah yes my bluetooth did the exact same thing. There is a fix however. You download it from the pioneer website (http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/support/..._bt_update.html) and save it to your phone and bluetooth it across to the head unit and use the head unit to update its firmware. And now my BT works perfect.

And i think im going to have to make a switch or something, i can't see any way else around it.

That's what i did with my Pioneer unit. Wired the antenna to the amp trigger wire and then put an override switch, so that i could manually put the antenna up if i am listening to the radio.

thanks Al, switch will be the go for me too. it's farken annoying having it up all the time. since whenever i'm in the thing a CD is playing means the arial is up 90% of the time. and if I turn the car off without turning off the stereo first it stays up. plus since the car is so long it looks like i'm driving a go kart with a little flag pole on it so big trucks wont run over me... :P

thanks Al, switch will be the go for me too. it's farken annoying having it up all the time. since whenever i'm in the thing a CD is playing means the arial is up 90% of the time. and if I turn the car off without turning off the stereo first it stays up. plus since the car is so long it looks like i'm driving a go kart with a little flag pole on it so big trucks wont run over me... :)

If i turn the car off, while i am listening to the radio, my antenna goes down automatically. Don't know why yours stays up :)

• 2 weeks later...

funny eh...alot of u guys not <500 dollar head units... and the antenna stays up..

mine is i think 120 dollar ken wood unit and it my antenna only goes up if the radio is turned on. And if i turn of the car suddenly with the radio on it will still bring down the antenna.

go kenwood!! haha :laugh:

• 4 months later...

Hey mate maybe you can help me with this... I have a 9800BT decided to give your soltuion a go... I cut the blue and white striped wire, then powered up the unit. The antenna did not go up, but I had no audio at all (no menu beeps, no radio or cd player audio). I connected the blue / white striped wire again which restored audio.

Perhaps I've got my blue/white wire wired up wrong?

Anyone else have these symptoms?

alpine has 2, so does clarion ;)

when i had my pioneer my antenna only went up once i had my radio on , when i listened to cd it was down , i would check your wiring to see if its done right

It's very annoying i just cut the antenna wire, so now i just dont listen to the radio because i hated having a 6 foot long antenna poking out the back of my car