SAU Community

Roof Bars Maximum Load Capacity?

MyStag260

G'day pals,

I have just manage to aquire a rubby duckie zodiac boat! its a sweet fun little thing that im planning on strapping to the roof bars of my stag with the Ryno roof racks i have, i just have a slight concern with the weight on the roof and if the bars can handle it. Id say the weight of the boat is probably about 60kgs or so... opinions?

:D add one more use to the already huge list for the stag... its a boat trailer!!

post-40810-1236127732_thumb.jpgpost-40810-1236127876_thumb.jpg

post-40810-1236127884_thumb.jpg

The bars are very solid and heavy, 60kg is nothing spread over both bars, considering there are 6 mounting points. I would have no hesitation putting 2-3 times this on the roof.

The bars are very solid and heavy, 60kg is nothing spread over both bars, considering there are 6 mounting points. I would have no hesitation putting 2-3 times this on the roof.
Yep I have had excessive amounts of particle board and timber on my roof - at least 300kg...makes it sway a bit on the corners!

I dont know what the load rating on those bars are.....but Kiwi, all i can say to that is OMG thats alot!

Yep I have had excessive amounts of particle board and timber on my roof - at least 300kg...makes it sway a bit on the corners!

rb26stagea here: I'm on a mate's computer... I have removed the roof bars from my car, and I can tell you they are extremely solid: they are steel underneath the plastic coating - you should have no issues with a small inflatable on them. I estimate they weigh at least 15kg each. worst case, if you were to bend them (VERY unlikely), I have a set sitting here that I am willing to part with. That said, you should not have any issues at all...

rb26stagea here: I'm on a mate's computer... I have removed the roof bars from my car, and I can tell you they are extremely solid: they are steel underneath the plastic coating - you should have no issues with a small inflatable on them. I estimate they weigh at least 15kg each. worst case, if you were to bend them (VERY unlikely), I have a set sitting here that I am willing to part with. That said, you should not have any issues at all...

i'd dare say he'd be more concerned with distorting the roof etc with excessive loads than bending bars

I've had lots of building material on mine- timber, cement sheets, villaboard etc easily 200kg without a problem.

I think you will be limited to the safe loading capacity of the ROOF RACKS that you attach onto the roof bars than the roof bars themselves.

.......I have removed the roof bars from my car.........

Hey Green Ghost,

Have you replaced the gaps left by removing the r.racks with something?

I've heard people talk about getting a plastic molded strip or something thats

made for the stags...you got something like this???

I would mind removing mine, don't use them.

Pete

Excellent! thanks for the replies all, Shoudln't be a problem

I will let you all now when i have had it woopin down the freeway at 100 how it feels etc.

Cheers