SAU Community

Dump Pipe Wont Make A Difference?

ive just started putting a few go fast bits on my R32 GTST.

so far .. FMIC, POD, Power FC, 040 fuel pump, and zorst.

my mechanic is putting all of this together and was telling me that my car wont go any different if i changed the dump pipe or not.

is this true?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my mechanic is putting all of this together and was telling me that my car wont go any different if i changed the dump pipe or not.

is this true?

i got a better idea for you get a new mechanic then hit the search button.

The stock bellmouth type on the 20/25 is more efficient than those supposed 'high flow' dump pipes. Not only can the high-flow ones sometimes stop the wastegate penny opening properly, but in some cases you can experience overboosting because the gases can't get out quick enough.

Edited by Mark_McQ

The stock bellmouth type on the 20/25 is more efficient than those supposed 'high flow' dump pipes. Not only can the high-flow ones sometimes stop the wastegate penny opening properly, but in some cases you can experience overboosting because the gases can't get out quick enough.

Utter Crap ! Have you actually taken a factory dump pipe off and had a look inside of it ? You will find that the wastegate dumps the Gas straight into a flat surface which is not even tapered toward the rest of the pipe. Open Bellmouth type worked just fine on my RB20. Boost came on earlier, ramped up to max Boost faster and top end power increased also

^^ exactly right. Stock dump pipes are garbage. You will notice that your turbo spools up a bit quicker too and the wastegate flap only has the potential to get stuck if you have a split dump pipe. Go bellmouth.

is this true?

Are you the same mechanic?!?! My god, what utter rubbish.

Get a good bellmouth, all in one, dump pipe or a well known split pipe (yes there are cases where the wastegate hits the dump pipe, but this is usually an issue with aftermarket internal gate turbos, not a stock one.)

TRUST me, it will make a difference. However you should have done it before you got the power FC tuned, as the stock dump is a restriction and you wouldn't have had the best gains when you got the FC tuned.

Edited by PM-R33

Are you the same mechanic?!?! My god, what utter rubbish.

Get a good bellmouth, all in one, dump pipe or a well known split pipe (yes there are cases where the wastegate hits the dump pipe, but this is usually an issue with aftermarket internal gate turbos, not a stock one.)

TRUST me, it will make a difference. However you should have done it before you got the power FC tuned, as the stock dump is a restriction and you wouldn't have had the best gains when you got the FC tuned.

I got a JJR stainless BELLMOUTH dump/front... Threw the stocky out, forgot to take a photo, but it is pretty much flat over the wastegate half :banana:

best mod i ever did was that with a catco 3" cat(already had a catback), so much more responsive, rolls for longer when i lift off etc, and heaps better economy!

Yesterday my brother put a new DUMP pipe on his Stagea Wagon. He had cat back exhaust before hand. He said its the Best money he could ever spend, he said it sounded good before, now it sounds like a car possessed, not to mention much better spool up and mid range.

I got one on my R33, its a BATMBL dump, love it to bits.

I know its not an R32 like yours, but the difference will blow you away.

U will definately notice a differnce. I did the same things as you.....FMIC catback pod but no dump pipe and i could feel it was restricted

After i installed a split dump pipe the turbo would spool harder and faster....it was like it always wanted to spool. I should have got the dump pipe before anything else

U'll love it

+20 for new mechanic ;)

Don't give your car to a tosspot who thinks that the stock dump pipe is a quality item.

The next thing you know, you'll be parked on the side of the road with a 500m long oil slick in your wake, with parts of the engine scattered all over the place because he thought you could advance your timing 40 degrees with 35 lbs of boost on regular unleaded whilst using the quality stock injectors.

Dude, really......................... Find someone else.