SAU Community

Help! Hicas Light On, Power-steering Gone!

Stitch

hey no power steering family. im with ya. mine is caused by the speedo having a doggy connection ( just throwing my 5 cents in). have had no powersteering for weeks, for some reason its easier to control when drifting :s

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Im also in the same boat.

There has been many threads, with many different fixes. All of which I have tried one way or another. All exept for swapping out the ECU. because I have had no one that will let me use their working one, to test with.

other than that, I have

visited many fixes such as.

2 plugs on fuse box (they were dirty as hell, cleaned up like new with cr26 but still not work)

Pwr Steer pressure sensor near oil cooler, clean .

steering position sensor, testd and cleaned all ok there.

all sensors on both the front, and rear racks.

found resisters leaking on board of hicas ecu, had them repaired/replaced and tested the board, still not fixed.

Removed and serviced power steering pump. replaced lines. hose clamps omg. u name it.

still not resolved...

Edited by SilverECR33

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just thought i'd share!

Ive experienced HICAS problems twice in the 11 years ive owned my series 1 R33 gts-t.

First time the hicas light was flicking on and off while driving the car around making the power steering kick on and off with it. I replaced the hicas cast unit (the thingy the rear steering arms go into) sorry about my lack of technical wording! That fixed that problem for years.....

Now im looking for a solution to my hicas light/no power steering again. This problem is completely different to my first hicas problem so im thinking its not in the cast unit.

My problem this time is that the hicas light comes on accompanied with no power steering after the car has been turned off and started again. So after my first run of the day i have no power steering and the hicas light is on usually the remainder of the day. Although sometimes it seems to have a mind of its own and comes and goes as it pleases upon turning car on again, wet and humid wheather seems to affects it. Because this hicas problem seems so different from my first im thinking its connected to the hicas ecu unit. Just been looking thorough the tutorials and about to have a look at the ecu. Thanks guys! Love this site for DIY's saved so much money doing things myself thanks to the sau peoples. :yes:

Hi guys,

That is perfect Sinista32, I wish i had that y onks ago.

After 3 or so years, last week I have resolved my Hicas issue after first start and runin of my new engine, however I can not say 100% what the issue was unfortunently. But I am pretty sure its related to the pump and or pressure control valve, as my previous post stated I did infact swap out my pump but didnt resolve it, however after the engine came out, i spent time checking and cleaning every sensor in teh system, one in particular which i didnt properly service last time was the pressure control valve near the alternator (drivers side). this time both thatsensor/valve and pump was the new additions and after first start of the new engine.. my issue has been resolved.

Unfortunently I had to do things in this order due to the engine built which is not helpful in pinpointing the cause of this issue, and in my situation it seems that maybe both the pressure control valve and pump were issues. (possibly)

Hopefully that picture sinista32 has posted is of use to assisting others resolving this same issue.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried everything, replaced hicas ecu with a working s1 ecu, replaced power steering pump,tried new hicas rack. Tried using a nisan scanner to diagnose the hicas light. Nothing...

Then i found a post about putting a S2 hicas ecu in. Thought it couldnt be that easy. Bought one for $30 and plugged it in. BAM!!!!! WORKS PERFECT!!!!! Ive been suffering with no power steering once the car is restarted for 2 years and now its perfect. I feel like crying lol :,)

• 2 years later...

it has a white retainer thing. It pivots in the middle, you have to pull it on the side of the plug so it should end up being a the back of the plug if that makes sense

Then it will pull out

Thank you ^

Just an update incase someone else out there stumbles upon this thread. I was having an issue with my s1 gtst r33 where if I would turn my car off and then on again (usually when the car is warm) the powersteering would be gone.

I plugged in a s2 hicas ecu instead from another r33 GTST and so far it seems to have fixed the problem. Thank you guys!