SAU Community

R33 Mods And Problem With Rwkw

Wilkie

Just to introduce myself my name is Andrew and I am new to this website so if i have upset someone by making a new thread and one already exists im sorry..... I bought my R33 about 4 months ago and have spent over 4 thousand on it already but I am getting no where quick... There car already had the following mods on it;

Highflow turbo

exhaust 3"

740cc injectors

greddy front mount intercooler

apexi power fc ecu

bosch o44 fuel pump

pod filter

malpassi fuel regulator

Now after getting my car back from the shop which i will not mention because they shouldn't even be allowed to touch a car !! and spending over 2 thousand on it the dyno reading says i get 175.6 RWKW at 8 psi but when i boost it out of the shop it only reads 6 psi and doesn't go any further. And the car missfires and carrys on. So i took it to GT Autogarage !! Awsome place and very helpful. put it on there dyno and it read the same but the problem is when the other shop put the coil packs and spark plugs back in they didn't gap the spark plugs and thats why it was causing it to missfire. So after coming out of GT Autogarage the car purrs like a kitten but is still only tuned to 8 psi.

What is everyones opinion on the RWKW i am getting with the mods i have listed ? Have i done something wrong ? and does anyone have the same mods reading higher RWKW ? any help would be appreaciated

post-58154-1237758381_thumb.jpg

at 8psi it sounds about right.. why arent you running 18 psi ?? If the turbo is highflowed and steelwheeled, 16-18psi is fine. What form of boost control do you have ? Sounds like you need a decent one of those and a retune should see you hit 230rwkw

WHY 720cc injector's that is massive and WHY a malpussy reg?????????

Why not a malpassi?

And why not 720cc? (standard injectors are 330cc yeah? looking at double the horsepower, and maybe a engine rebuild down the track for even more horsepower, seems to be planning ahead?)

Agreed 720cc injectors are over kill...

and yes you can buy too big, as the duty cycle in percentages means greater graduation between settings...

But yeah 8psi is not going to give you much more then 170rwkw... Does not matter what else you have done, thats pretty much stock boost...

You want a big difference you need to give it a face full of charged air...

Take it back to GT Auto, give them the car and wind up the boost a bit more and re-tune it... You will probablly need quite a few more bits and pieces to get to the 260-270rwkw area but its hard to say without knowing what else the car has and needs... Best off getting some advice once you know what you want...

What i mean to say and we can all help, but what power level do you expect???

Are you ok with a bit of lag?

Whats the budget and time line from here?

Most importantly, what is the car for?

The car is my daily and as for Track/drift/ or street im going to have to go with street atm as i haven't been on a track but would love to down the track once i know the car is fully A+ and where i want it. Im only looking at making 320 - 350rwhp as the engine with stock internals will not allow for much more before breaking later on down the track... Later on forgies will be put in and the highflow gone and maybe move to a top mount turbo.... but even with the forgies in i still don't really wanna go over the 450 rwhp as it is my daily.

And yes i will be taking it back to GT Auto in about 2 weeks to get a tune done to it and see what it puts out but if it doesn't make over atleast 280 rwhp i will be starting all over from scratch and replacing everything that needs to be replaced to get it over that 300 mark.

But before going to GT Auto to get a tune done im thinking a proper boost controller would be a very needed thing to get it there.

And as for the Malpassi fuel regulator i have heard many different opinions on them most tuners and mechanics swear by them but more say they are un reliable and that a Sard fuel regulator would be a better option for a steadier and more reliable reading on the dyno.

I will update in about 2 weeks hopefully with the outcome of the tune. And thanks everyone for there input the advice is very helpful as I am still learning about this car.

Cheers Wilkie.

Look to be honest I personally have had two Malpassi's before and both worked a treat...

However Ive worked on cars with them that have nothing but dramas, easy to see with a basic autometer pressure gauge under the bonnet...

But yeah a good electronic boost controller is a bit of a must have and you want the boost pressures to stay constant and not spike and carry on etc...

Aim for one of the HKS EBC or Blitz SBC systems, make sure its a dual solinoid model like the SBC-ID-III or Spec R...

The ignition system probablly needs a once over if you want to make a realiable 350hp+ on stock internals...

One or two little ignition failures at this level could render an entire engine usless...

As for street useage, well 320-250hp is perfect... Dont get caught up in HP heros try setups... Lag sucks when you wanta go from 0 to something...

Malpassi is fine. I have an eBoost 2 and it is fantastic. 5 boost settings and overboost protection.

Daily with over 350rwhp is going to be fun, but expensive to run. Even the hi-flow turbos are running out of puff at those levels. Your internals are not far from history at those levels. Start saving for the rebuild now and think twice what they quote you. I have never seen a rebuild go to plan...

what boost controller are you running now?

Just a home made job using a shifter to turn it up and down. Been advised by the tuner to get a HKS EVC 5.

take it back and get a tune on 18psi u should see 240rwkw you would think, but some high flows run out of puff with that kind of power just the comp/exhaust is way 2 small.

Just to introduce myself my name is Andrew and I am new to this website so if i have upset someone by making a new thread and one already exists im sorry..... I bought my R33 about 4 months ago and have spent over 4 thousand on it already but I am getting no where quick... There car already had the following mods on it;

Highflow turbo

exhaust 3"

740cc injectors

greddy front mount intercooler

apexi power fc ecu

bosch o44 fuel pump

pod filter

malpassi fuel regulator

Now after getting my car back from the shop which i will not mention because they shouldn't even be allowed to touch a car !! and spending over 2 thousand on it the dyno reading says i get 175.6 RWKW at 8 psi but when i boost it out of the shop it only reads 6 psi and doesn't go any further. And the car missfires and carrys on. So i took it to GT Autogarage !! Awsome place and very helpful. put it on there dyno and it read the same but the problem is when the other shop put the coil packs and spark plugs back in they didn't gap the spark plugs and thats why it was causing it to missfire. So after coming out of GT Autogarage the car purrs like a kitten but is still only tuned to 8 psi.

What is everyones opinion on the RWKW i am getting with the mods i have listed ? Have i done something wrong ? and does anyone have the same mods reading higher RWKW ? any help would be appreaciated

1: You shouldn't have to gap any plugs if you are running 8psi. Buy BCPR6EY-11 and dont gap you should be fine. I have never gaped any plugs and as far I know never has the tuner who tuned mine.

2: Run 15psi minimum.

3: I have a mechanical bleed valve, does the job isnt the best on the market but cost $30.

4: Malpassi is a good way to go.

5: Those jectors are massive for size turbo. I am using stock injectors for 350+ bhp.

6: What coil packs are you running? You may need to look at new ones.

7: 320ish hp on stock internals should last you a long time. As Rhino says budget for twice what people quote you in a build.

Good luck