SAU Community

Surge Tank In Engine Bay ?

smok74

We have all seen an external surge tank / pump setup installed in the boot of a car....we've also all heard of it being canaried..... My question is, why can't we install the surge tank in the engine bay if we can find the room ? like behind the drivers side headlight, Ive seen people mount their breather tank there, so why not a surge tank ?

Heat could be a concern, but that can be controlled with insulation.

I wanna heard your feedbacks on this idea.... Like the technical pros n cons.

Cheers guys.

i tihnk you'd want to store this as far inboard as possible. the idea of having a metal can full of petrol mounted to the inside of a front guard makes me a little uneasy...

Think about worst case scenario, you rear end, t-bone, head on whatever and the tank ruptures then you now have fuel splashed around a hot engine bay.... problems...

i think the reason most are boot mounted is because it can be mounted away from the edge of the car, it has no direct exposure to the engine and its not inside the cabin.

I've seen race cars with the fuel cell and surge tank inside the cabin, but never one inside the engine bay, i fugure thats for a good reason.

Edited by Messiah

the main problem with engine bay mounting is the heat. you want to keep the fuel as cool as possible, and having a surge tank in the engine bay wont help with that. also, you have a big length of line then for your lift pump to send the fuel through the reach the surge tank. it's not impossible, but it's one of those things that if there was a big benefit to doing it, everyone would be. the other thing is a decent tank, fittings, mounting, pump and wiring all adds up to a fair bit of weight, and having that in the nose of the car which is traditionally already overweight is not a winner for weight distribution.

Well, how about having the surge tank in the boot, then the Bosch 044 in the engine bay ? That way, the pump wouldnt have to work extra hard to pressurise the entire length from the boot to the engine bay but rather just a short distance from the pump to the rail both of which are located close together. There wouldnt be any air in the line as the surge tank would make sure of that and everything would still work the same.

Y change the wheel...

In the boot works fine...

An other reason for not having the surge tank in the engine bay is the expansion of fuel in heat... think when you leave a can of fuel out in the sun...

omg heat!

its hot under the bonnet of a car! the pump will get hot! then heat the fuel! the petrol coming from the tube under the car is nice and cool and that is how it enters the rail.

no the pump doesnt work 'extra hard' to pump it all the way from the boot, its the same thing. do some physics.

the pump will have to suck the fuel all the way from the surge tank in the boot, you will get airation in the fuel then BANG.

just give up.

I was looking into this aswell because it would mean I wouldn't have to worry about damaging it when I have stuff in the boot, or having to seal it off etc but it just isn't practicle to have it in the engine bay.

The only other reasonable alternative would be mounting it underneath the floor of the boot (outside the car) next to the fuel tank.

Well, how about having the surge tank in the boot, then the Bosch 044 in the engine bay ? That way, the pump wouldnt have to work extra hard to pressurise the entire length from the boot to the engine bay but rather just a short distance from the pump to the rail both of which are located close together. There wouldnt be any air in the line as the surge tank would make sure of that and everything would still work the same.

Try it, die in a fire and then come tell us how you went.

Seriously though, all a fuel pump cares about is pressure and flow, the length of the line doesn't matter because ultimately it's pushing against the fuel pressure reg. If your lines are undersized you will have a problem but you need to have HUGE horsepower before this becomes a problem.

Storing any amount of fuel in the end of the car you usually hit hardest if you're going to have an accident... not smart!

The only other reasonable alternative would be mounting it underneath the floor of the boot (outside the car) next to the fuel tank.

now we are talking.

have a look at the undercar setup with swirl pot and twin 044s that risking put together for n1gtr. there are pics on here somewhere

now we are talking.

have a look at the undercar setup with swirl pot and twin 044s that risking put together for n1gtr. there are pics on here somewhere

They were in the NSW members section so I'll post them here.

post-40368-1242203119_thumb.jpg

post-40368-1242203131_thumb.jpg

How would it survive for arguments sake say a speed hump, I've always wanted to mount underneath to avoid canaries etc, but thought in a street car situation it may get damaged easily. Speed humps, driveways, rocks and other unexpected hazards, also there's 3 speed humps in a strathfield car park that are huge I always scrape no matter what, how would one survive against a long slow scrape LOL if that makes sense

well they are above the rear cradle so if you get around to hitting that setup on the ground you have other issues lol. It goes in the space under the rear seat where the aus delivered GTR had the diff cooler.

• 2 weeks later...
We have all seen an external surge tank / pump setup installed in the boot of a car....we've also all heard of it being canaried..... My question is, why can't we install the surge tank in the engine bay if we can find the room ? like behind the drivers side headlight, Ive seen people mount their breather tank there, so why not a surge tank ?

Heat could be a concern, but that can be controlled with insulation.

I wanna heard your feedbacks on this idea.... Like the technical pros n cons.

Cheers guys.

I think its a good idea. you should do it. then i will laugh at you as ur car explodes. OMFG read the topic title out loud to yourself and then see if you want to it. I you still do then sell your car cause your stupid. imo.