SAU Community

17x8 Wheels With Tires Size

Currently, I used 17X8 wheels at the front and rear

I plan to change better tires

Which tires size is good for the wheels?

Should I use different size tires for the front and rear?

Thank

Now I use 235/45 R17 for the front and rear with Toyo proxn4

What is the max tyre for 17X8? 245/45 R17?

I plan to use Federal 595-RSR~

What is the best match?

for 17x8 u can go with a 205/45r17 for a stretched look to 245/45r17 which i think is over kill.

for the rims i've had in 17x8 i tend to run 215 45 r17 always although 225 45 would be a more comfortable fit. if you have 17x8 in the rear as well i'd probably go 235/45r17 max.

215 45 17 and 235 45 17 are a more common tyre these days in the 17s which make them cheaper + more available.

Now I use 235/45 R17 for the front and rear with Toyo proxn4

What is the max tyre for 17X8? 245/45 R17?

I plan to use Federal 595-RSR~

What is the best match?

well, with those tyres, id run 225/45's providing ur not running much over stock, and ur looking for both cornering/line grip.

if ur finding its hard to put the power down currently u could go a 235/45 at the rear.

Ok~

I will try 215 at front and 235 at rear

If you have the same size wheels all round then I would recommend satying with the same size tyres all round, the reason is so that you can rotate from front to rear for longer life as the rears will normally wear quicker on a rear wheel drive car (unless your alignment is out).

Depending on what you want out of the tyres, most manufacturers will say that you can safely fit anywhere from 225/45R17 to 255/40R17 on an 8" wide wheel (although this can vary between brands).

Personally I would recommend staying with 235/45R17 all round. :blink:

yeah I would probably got a 235 all round. I used to run 235/45/17s on my 32 GTST all round on 17X8 +30 blitz wheels and they fitted fine. I personally wouldn't go wider than 235 on an 8 inch rim either.

dsc002754lx.jpg

opgpcircuitbt3.jpg

yeah I would probably got a 235 all round. I used to run 235/45/17s on my 32 GTST all round on 17X8 +30 blitz wheels and they fitted fine. I personally wouldn't go wider than 235 on an 8 inch rim either.

dsc002754lx.jpg

Looks like you had plenty of negative camber on the front in that pic... Looks very neat (I'm a little bias towards R32 GTST's) :nyaanyaa:

Baron~

How about the track performace for 235/45/R17 all around?

That depends more on the type of tyre you get rather than the size... If you get a cheap street tyre and take it to the track you probably wont be happy, but if you buy a good quality set that can handle the abuse of track work you wont regret it.

In almost all cases if you want to do track work, your best bet is to get another set of wheels and fit "track only" tyres to them... Like Bridgestone RE55's or another fairly soft compound semi-slick.

But if you just want the one set of tyres to do everything (good street traction, wet control and reliable grip / life on the track) then you should look for something along the lines of the Federal 595RS-R, Falken RT615, Toyo R1R or another intermediate level "street friendly" semi-slick.

would you believe it was completely stock suspension wise in that pic! stock arms, bushes, shocks the whole lot. so no neg other than whatever was standard. the wheels were sitting nicely flush with the front and rear guards and it had a good ride height too. they really made the look of the car. great rims.

you can see in the on track pic it's a bit lower as I'd just installed some teins.

and like you said, tyre performance on track has little to do with size and everything to do with type of tyre. a 235 semi slick will far outperform a 265 cheap road tyre. those particular tyres were pretty average falkens. :dry: but I did love those rims on that car. I actually pinched them off my soarer and then bought some volks to go on the soarer in it's place. lol it looked pretty funny on GTST wheels for a few days.

would you believe it was completely stock suspension wise in that pic! stock arms, bushes, shocks the whole lot. so no neg other than whatever was standard. the wheels were sitting nicely flush with the front and rear guards and it had a good ride height too. they really made the look of the car. great rims.

you can see in the on track pic it's a bit lower as I'd just installed some teins.

and like you said, tyre performance on track has little to do with size and everything to do with type of tyre. a 235 semi slick will far outperform a 265 cheap road tyre. those particular tyres were pretty average falkens. :( but I did love those rims on that car. I actually pinched them off my soarer and then bought some volks to go on the soarer in it's place. lol it looked pretty funny on GTST wheels for a few days.

Hmm, must be the angle of the driveway its sitting on then... Or just my eyes :sick:

I love those wheels too, they're Blitz R series 1 arent they?

I have been trying to con my mate into selling me his for ages, but he loves them because they sit perfectly in the guards and are pretty light... We just painted them black and they look awesome on a silver car...

post-17958-1242882696_thumb.jpg

yeah they are blitz, are forged, and are pretty light. not sure if they're the same as your mates. I think his are a different type of blitz wheel that was a bit more popular than the ones I have (had!). they all look good though. Blitz made some great wheels over the years.

You can run whatever size the particular tyre manufacturer recommends.

we run 17x8" wheels on the race car with 245/45/17 in yoko or khumo, but bridgestone recommended 235 only. the manufacturer knows better than the people on SAU :P

yeah they are blitz, are forged, and are pretty light. not sure if they're the same as your mates. I think his are a different type of blitz wheel that was a bit more popular than the ones I have (had!). they all look good though. Blitz made some great wheels over the years.

Im pretty sure they are the same (not that it really matters :)) this is what they used to look like before we painted them (pic attached) :)

I will go Federal 595-RSR

If I dont focus on tyres life, just on performance

The best tyres still use 235/45 R17 all wheels?

Thank all suggestions~ :)

Yes... Definitely.

You can run whatever size the particular tyre manufacturer recommends.

we run 17x8" wheels on the race car with 245/45/17 in yoko or khumo, but bridgestone recommended 235 only. the manufacturer knows better than the people on SAU ;)

Good point Duncan - I can tell you that Federal list 17x8's as the ideal fitment for 235/45R17 595RS-R's :)

post-17958-1242960985_thumb.jpg