SAU Community

Holset Hx35w Installation In Standard Low Mount Position

my holset rebuild kit arrived yesterday. it contains new bearings, thrust bearing o rings and oil seal plate, slinger and a new set of clips.

i am going to attempt to rebuild the turbo myself. I will keep this updated with my progress.

the whole kit cost $80 delivered so if i bugger it up its no big loss.

my holset rebuild kit arrived yesterday. it contains new bearings, thrust bearing o rings and oil seal plate, slinger and a new set of clips.

i am going to attempt to rebuild the turbo myself. I will keep this updated with my progress.

the whole kit cost $80 delivered so if i bugger it up its no big loss.

80 bux! nice thats great. after rebuilding, whats needed to be done in the way of balancing?

thanks adriano :) good find.

i have jsut pulled the turbo down and the rear bearing was all choked up and full of burnt oil. also the oil seals were so loose they fell off the shaft when i pulled it out! the new parts all went on fine and I went to reassemble it and as soon as i tighten the compressor wheel down the turbo siezes and will not spin.

i have measured all the parts and they are all the same, thrust bearing, oil slinger, bearings, c clips, the lot... the assembly spins perfectly when the nut is finger tight but as soon as you torque it down it siezes!!!

I think the shaft has worn on the oil seal fitting c channel due to the old seal blowing and the turbo being used and thrust pulling the assembly towards the compressor. the thrust bearing was worn about 0.2mm

my optoins are to loctite the compressor nut in place and run it like it is. I am sure it will be fine as they is no in out play and no side to side play with the rebuild kit in the turbo and the play before was quite bad.

I have to do some more thinking... but its a good learning excercise. if it all gets too hard i will just buy another holset :(

I have finished the turbo and managed to get zero shaft play using a combination of old and new bits... pretty sure it was the new thrust washer causing problems. but it now all together and i will put it back on the car this week.

both front and rear oil seals were shot and my cooler piping is full of oil its going to need a good clean before it goes back on and my afm was FULL of oil!!! no wonder the damn thing was running rough and smoking.

fingers crossed the new seals do their job :dry:

hey adriano,

I would be guessing an HX35 with the small rear housing. probably the same as the one i have. 12cm2 or even 10cm2

I may be able to get a few of these over the coming months. they will be a bit more but still well worth it. they will be coming from a turck spares place near where i work. and i will be able to get them for about $500 if anyone wants them.

Adrian, are you thinking what I'm thinking?

With a bit of work on the wastegate flapper it should hold 10-15 psi? N you reckon a Toshi remap will run this thing ok?

Hmm.. $500 ay...

Edited by Yeedogga

hehe.. jokes :banana:

mine is running on an r32 ecu i remapped and goes well. the wastegate flap on mine is unmodded and holds boost fine. what sort of mods were you thinking of doing to it? and would it be in an effort so stop creep or hold boost?

actually there is a nice hx40 for sale on ebay at the moment. 17cm^ rear housing is Huge!!! and its a t4 flange but for a bigger engine or insane build it would be great! good for a hipo rb30. its brand new and only $500 at the moment.

Ah, so are you running a NIStune on an r32 ecu? What injectors are you running?

Yeah I have done a bit of reading about Holsets on Volvo forums, alot of guys are running them in the states on B230 motors (2.3L 4 cyl). They seem to think that they have difficulty holding steady boost due to the flapper being far too small to allow sufficient flow around the turbine, Apparently enlarging the hole and using a larger flapper has solved the problem for some- i know of one guy who used the head of a valve to make a larger flapper.

I tuned the stock ecu myself.

my setup is

rb25vct head from r33

rb30 bottom end

r32 ecu, z32 afm, 800cc side feed injectors that are standard RB25 ones modified to flow 800cc!!!

r32 gtr fuel pump, 3" custom exhaust intercooler yada yada yada...

I map tracing via consult and adjust the maps on pc using oldschool but very reliable tuning software. pre nistune by years... then burn the finished chie to an eprom and put it back in the ecu.

nistune is fantastic, i just dont have it.

Hmmmm...

boost control issues, I will have to do some more testing on mine once it is back on the road but yep the standard gate hole is small. but i guess the rb30 swallows up most of what the turbo can deliver so the small gate is big enough.

Sounds like a neat way of doing it! Back in the thread you said it made 246 rear on 10psi- was this before the bigger injectors/ afm went in? I'm really curious as to whether the holset is a feasible alternative to a GCG highflow/ 3071, running the holset at ~10psi on std injectors with a remapped ecu. May not have the same kind of response, but it would certainly work out cheaper if I do the dirty work.

Edited by Yeedogga

it would be a lot cheaper,

but not sure if it would be a good result you could try a hx30. they are supposed to be the ducks guts on 2 litre engines... it will push those numbers at a bit more boost. if you have a 25 you could get away with stock injectors and afm and just get a remap and bolt one of these on and go for it.

or you could get one of the op6 rear housings and get hypergear to do a hiflow for you for about $800 by the time you make up all the bits the hiflow would be cheaper and will flow 240rwkw so for those sorts of power levels you could go either way...

it would be cool to see what a hx30 is capable of on a rb25.

I've rebuilt a few holsets and made a few mixes of them, i've never had any problems with them going back together.

I made an hx35/40 for myself using an hx35 turbine, 60mm 6 blade hx40 compressor and an hx35 14cm turbine housing.

This is on a 2.5L subaru but rwd for dynoing. Was happy with the result. Good turbo !

DSCF5003.jpg