SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

ps i started reading the first 2 pages and skipped to the last, probably coming in at a point i know nothing about as i havnt been following.

seems like it has gone from tools to race cars hehe

but i still think toyota is the way to go

personally i wouldnt touch a jeep, the missus wants a wrangler and i am spewing, terrible fuel economy, parts are expensive and depreciation is one of the worst on the market.

it depends though, if you only drive her once or twice a month and you dont care about fuel consumption get a 100s v8 land cruiser

$20k should get you a nice one

my cousin has been towing his 1800kg boat in his ls1 wh statesman for years and it purrs along the freeway

$5-10,000

07 v6 hilux dual cab sr

15-20.000

id take a hilux anyday of the week over a navara, triton, colorado or mazda for that matter

even a v6 territory you can have for around the 10-13k mark for a decent one

but def no jeep

Your vehicular knowledge knows no bounds.

Mate has a JK Wrangler Rubicon Petrol, returns 14lltrs per 100k's towing on 35" tyres. Most reliable 4wd in our group of tow car's.

I use a GU Patrol, awesome for it, also on 35" tyres so struggle's a little on hills, but after towing with it, i will never use anything smaller.

• 2 weeks later...

not really a tow car story

but...

Took the q7 to Stockton beach on the weekend good fun

Did it easy even on 20's and 40 psi

Front lip was in danger a few times though. many funny looks from fellow 4wd's (while ripping hellis)

image_zps8366bfbb.jpg

GPS freaked out as well

image_zpsf964d810.jpg

As long as the GPS did not direct you to drive into the sea :)

On the Challenger, looks like the auto has a dual cooling system, through the engine radiator first then to it's own radiator. Crowded in front of the engine radiator - a/c, IC and auto cooler.

FYI, Navara D22's are on sale.

Top spec STR dual cabs are rolling out at under $28k drive away with 12 months rego. Bloody good buying I reckon. The D22 is a much better thing since getting the 2.5L donk. Still some way short of a D40 to drive, but at virtually HALF the price.........

2800kg towing capacity.

http://www.nissan.com.au/Cars-Vehicles/Navara-D22/Offers

FYI, Navara D22's are on sale.

Top spec STR dual cabs are rolling out at under $28k drive away with 12 months rego. Bloody good buying I reckon. The D22 is a much better thing since getting the 2.5L donk. Still some way short of a D40 to drive, but at virtually HALF the price.........

2800kg towing capacity.

http://www.nissan.co...vara-D22/Offers

... but do they have stock? Probably... I guess that's why they are on sale.

The last time I looked at them (about 18 months ago) all I got was attitude and you " you need to wait".... at the full RRP.

... but do they have stock? Probably... I guess that's why they are on sale.

The last time I looked at them (about 18 months ago) all I got was attitude and you " you need to wait".... at the full RRP.

My local dealer has 2 in stock. Next dealer along has 3 apparently......

You not driven a Great Wall?

I'm not buying a D22, but they're much better than a China ute, and now they're priced like one.

I've heard a horror story about the Navara (not sure if D22), multiple transmissions, multiple diffs, spent most of its warrantly life in the dealership.... The guy said the arrogance and lack of care by the manufacturer scared him away from Nissans forever.

Not sure if blackrex had similar issues. Maybe its worth staying away from one?

Then again, I guess most brands will have horror stories.

Mine kept on failing in the front suspension, snapped two torsion bars (they lose their spring after about 10k k's, and the car rides on the bump stops after that) I could never keep the bolts tight in the suspension linkages, even after lockwiring the nuts/bolts in place and the engine wore out the bores after 80k k's. The car was always serviced by Nissan at the correct schedules, but it was never really reliable.

awesome to see the Q7 at Stockton! Anyone planning on going thre on Feb 2nd for the Protest?

Sounds like a worthy cause, get those polluting fourbys off the beaches and save the planet :yes:

not really a tow car story

but...

Took the q7 to Stockton beach on the weekend good fun

Did it easy even on 20's and 40 psi

Front lip was in danger a few times though. many funny looks from fellow 4wd's (while ripping hellis)

image_zps8366bfbb.jpg

GPS freaked out as well

Me old Jeep had a really easily removed front lip spoiler (no tools required).

3rd gear, low range (to fully disengage stab control), and rev limiter. :D

DSCF4050-1.jpgDSCF4047.jpg

was talking to one of the regulars at work today. his mate has a new Q7 in NZ. he had it for about 2 weeks before his missus clipped a gutter and shagged a tyre. $1300 later........... then the following week a vallet at a carpark hit a gutter or something and shagged a rim (took a big chunk out of the lip of the rim). also within the first month of having it he had the bike rack on the back and accidently hit the boot release button and it opened up into the bike rack, putting 2 dings in the boot door. i guess that's a bit of karma catching up after he won 31 million in lotto at the start of last year............

My old man has a 2004 D22 navara STR with the 3.0lt turbo diesel, manual 5 speed box, and it has been the most reliable car he has ever had. It is a work vehicle that tows 2 tonne regularly (once a week), and has done 250000 without anything major gone wrong. Perhaps it is the 2.5cr that isn't as good?, He tested both at a similar time and he said the 2.5CR (common rail) didn't "feel" as good as the 3.0. I also heard that the 2.5CR was primarily manufactured in Spain, while the 3.0 was made in Japan. Whether that has anything to do with build quality is anyone's guess.

Edited by Grimesy

was talking to one of the regulars at work today. his mate has a new Q7 in NZ. he had it for about 2 weeks before his missus clipped a gutter and shagged a tyre. $1300 later........... then the following week a vallet at a carpark hit a gutter or something and shagged a rim (took a big chunk out of the lip of the rim). also within the first month of having it he had the bike rack on the back and accidently hit the boot release button and it opened up into the bike rack, putting 2 dings in the boot door. i guess that's a bit of karma catching up after he won 31 million in lotto at the start of last year............

yea i bought a bike rack that is spaced so thats not a problem

mind you when the bikes are on the car is about the length of a football field then

marlin

have done lots of hoops in jeeps they skid hard