SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

^This^ If you can't afford a proper turbo diesel then why not make do with a Falcon or somthing for a while? On a long tow drive my auto Mrbitchy Challenger CRD turbo did 11.6L/100, messing around with some old diesel clunker that has been round the clock a few times and does 18 does not make sense.

Yep i've taken the info on board... We've asked for a bigger loan for the turbo model i have found that looks ideal but am awaiting an answer... It needs to double as a cruise car that can have 3 dogs in the back and can go offroad etc hence the need for it to be a 4wd.

Having given old diesel clunkers a serve, if finances are limited then I would go petrol not diesel. A lot cheaper to buy and the engines are cheaper to maintain. For example, with some reluctance I drove a friend's manual three liter petrol Triton ute that had been round the clock a few times, for $5000 what would you expect. Anyway, it went quite well towing up Cunningham's Gap, just use the gearshift and stick around 3000rpm was all it took, 100kph no problem on the flat in 5th.

Old diesels are overpriced for what they are and don't seem to save that much in fuel over a petrol job.

Reliability + torque etc was my concern...

Maintainance isnt a major issue as it would all be done by me anyway... Was reading last night that the petrol cruiser boxes were rubbish but its all forum talk and although a LOT of good information comes from forums, sometimes you can get some bad advice too...

I agree that they seem overpriced, a GQ or 80 Series turbo Diesal is much more than most late model patrols in 3.0LTD or Petrol (I am led to believe the 3.0L TD is a time bomb though).

EFI petrols are pretty damm reliable and diesel torque is over rated for towing, as I experiened with the old Triton, see previous. A quick look on Carsales, petrol Missybitchy Pajero's under 200k clix listed at $10,000, not that I know much about them but the 3.5 liter petrol donk is apparently a step up on the old 3 liter job. Just a thought anyway, dealer's will give you test drives.

• 2 weeks later...

The choice was made! We ended up with a Turbo Diesel Landcruiser, 80 series with all the fruit! Its damn good to drive and is a good looking rig! Will let you know how it tows once i have a go....

I guess on topic, what trailers are you guys using for a full weight Skyline? Ebay spec beaver tail ones good enough or do they need more?

If you can't afford the fancy shmansy airbag trailers, just make sure the ramps are attached to the rear and just fold down. Obviously make sure it is rated for your car weight, etc, etc.

It's a pain at the end of the day rooting around with ramps when all you want to do is get out of there.

Oh yeah, somewhere to store tyres and Jerry cans would be good. Electric brakes are good but you're limited to a car that has a controller installed, so just make sure you choose the right braking system.

If you can't afford the fancy shmansy airbag trailers, just make sure the ramps are attached to the rear and just fold down. Obviously make sure it is rated for your car weight, etc, etc.

It's a pain at the end of the day rooting around with ramps when all you want to do is get out of there.

Oh yeah, somewhere to store tyres and Jerry cans would be good. Electric brakes are good but you're limited to a car that has a controller installed, so just make sure you choose the right braking system.

Thanks for the info! Due to the cost of the tow car the trailer budget is pretty low so no fancy ones for me....

The car has an electronic brake controller but i dont understand how it works on the trailer itself?

The tow car has roof cage which will help with storage too!

Looks pretty tuff mate and clean too.

We hope it was a good find! Everything checks out so far :) Lots of money spent in the right places!

That Cruiser looks like it could tow two trailers, should have no problems there.

As for trailers, buy mine http://www.my105.com/tabid/65/id/9996/default.aspx There are lots of traps in buying a cheapie, one of the most common is you get used wheels and used car tyres. Always use light truck tyres, Sunrasia wheels have heavy duty rims. Tightarse mate blew a used car tyre just the other day and has damaged rims on potholes, true story.

Thanks for the info! Due to the cost of the tow car the trailer budget is pretty low so no fancy ones for me....

The car has an electronic brake controller but i dont understand how it works on the trailer itself?

The tow car has roof cage which will help with storage too!

The controller basically sends power (activated by your brakes) to the electric trailer brakes. Depending on type they have an adjustment to vary trailer power.

That Cruiser looks like it could tow two trailers, should have no problems there.

As for trailers, buy mine http://www.my105.com/tabid/65/id/9996/default.aspx There are lots of traps in buying a cheapie, one of the most common is you get used wheels and used car tyres. Always use light truck tyres, Sunrasia wheels have heavy duty rims. Tightarse mate blew a used car tyre just the other day and has damaged rims on potholes, true story.

Nice simple lightweight trailer.

That Cruiser looks like it could tow two trailers, should have no problems there.As for trailers, buy mine http://www.my105.com/tabid/65/id/9996/default.aspx There are lots of traps in buying a cheapie, one of the most common is you get used wheels and used car tyres. Always use light truck tyres, Sunrasia wheels have heavy duty rims. Tightarse mate blew a used car tyre just the other day and has damaged rims on potholes, true story.

Awesome advice, didn't even give that a thought... Was going to use the spare GTT rims and tyres but sounds like a change of plan now!

Thanks for the offer too, I'll keep it in mind!

Hey guys, we have done around 1000kms in this thing now and love it! No towing as yet.... Sits on 110 no problem at all and is very smooth!

We have found a few bits to replace like the steering dampner, clutch slave, D rubbers and now ordered front right CV joint but in general it a a TOP truck to have!

lePotGb.jpg

• Like 1