SAU Community

Vipec Yes Or No

thanks fellas i was just curious because i havent found to many people using them in the track cars round perth... there all using power FC but yes i will be puting in the vipec as soon as i do my turbo upgrade

haay for u guys who know ecus i currently have a Apexi FAFC2 but i understand its useless once i haave the new ecu in but i would like to keep it wired in so i can use its Knock sensor feature to moniter engine... is it possible

i use a Ruzic engine monitor...it plugs straight into the vi-pec...monitors every imaginable engine perameter and is fully programable with shift lights warning lights buzzer etc.Comes with full instructions and software...great add on feature to the vi-pec.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirt,im very interested in the vipec..i was considering getting a haltech e11v2 but from what i have been reading so far the v88 seems like what im leaning towards now.

Are you a distributor of it ?

correct me if im wrong but isnt the v88 available as a plug in for a r32 gtr?...is this what you are still using.

I recommend a Vi-PEC V88, twin M&W Drag 6 igniters and M&W coils...ive done 2 of these instals since ive been up here on both the Wedlock car and a drag VL thats soon to debut.

Hey Paul could u please send me a PM with a breakdown of price on this setup, i am in the market for an ecu/ignition setup and keen on vipec i just dont want to have annoying spark issues with big power (650rwhp+) like i have been having with a previous setup and cdi unit. Are the motec/mercury coils any good to use with the setup (they are cdi coils so i assume maybe not)? i got 6 of em lying around i only bought a while ago, so if they are good enough i will just remain with them, i also have an Autronic CDI unit ready to go but its only a 3 channel and would prefer to not to run a wasted spark setup if i can help it.

I will be seeing you guys on the weekend if your racing at winternats and have a chat about it if your not too busy.

Edited by unique1

i know this is a vipec thread for fcuks sake, though i have one question

since the masters of ecu's are here

what is the difference between the "LINK" and "Vipec" ecu

the after sales support and stickers mainly.

Dirt,im very interested in the vipec..i was considering getting a haltech e11v2 but from what i have been reading so far the v88 seems like what im leaning towards now.

Are you a distributor of it ?

correct me if im wrong but isnt the v88 available as a plug in for a r32 gtr?...is this what you are still using.

Contrary to popular belief...no im not a distributor of this product...its just a damn fine unit. Like the other products i find excellent...HKS turbo's, VP fuels, Hypertune plenums etc...if i find something is a proven product i sing its praises and some people get most upset at this and assume there is some kickback involved...most of these people are a supplier or dealer of a rival product. The full dealer list can be found here http://www.vi-pec.com/ please contact the dealer in your state for pricing etc.

I run a V88 with an adaptor board which then makes it simply plug in...easy!

Brad...come and look at my set-up or the set-up on the Wedlock car over the weekend and we will work out the best solution for your application.

Edited by DiRTgarage

but you cant say a motec is a bad ecu.I haven't seen V8 supercars change to a Vipec yet. vipec might be a good ecu but dont mean every other ecu is bad. And they are a LINK and supported by LINK.

and i dont think you will see them change any time soon to LINK/ViPec as I dont think they have the data logging setup like motec

and LINK ecu's have been easy to use for many years back in 02' the dyno shop in mt isa loved them they were so easy to use

possum bourne was involved with link too

and i dont think you will see them change any time soon to LINK/ViPec as I dont think they have the data logging setup like motec

and LINK ecu's have been easy to use for many years back in 02' the dyno shop in mt isa loved them they were so easy to use

possum bourne was involved with link too

Another poorly researched statement...Vi-PEC has four times the logging capabilities of the MoTeC M800. Vi-PEC has it as a standard feature...MoTeC its a option that costs even more $$ and its only 1MB vs 4MB. A quick look at the spec sheet will tell you that. V8 Supercars are not the be all and end all...they use lots of old outdated technology...pushrod V8's anyone?

MoTeC is not a bad ecu...but we have found the Vi-PEC has won the pepsi challenge against it.

If you dont know...dont post please.

Edited by DiRTgarage

Another poorly researched statement...Vi-PEC has four times the logging capabilities of the MoTeC M800. Vi-PEC has it as a standard feature...MoTeC its a option that costs even more $$ and its only 1MB vs 4MB. A quick look at the spec sheet will tell you that. V8 Supercars are not the be all and end all...they use lots of old outdated technology...pushrod V8's anyone?

MoTeC is not a bad ecu...but we have found the Vi-PEC has won the pepsi challenge against it.

do they run track mapping ???? gps based ?

V8 supertaxi's dont run M800's any way, they run M48's

and use ACL's for logging ???

vipec seems to be an aust. product & it sounds like a great ecu.

like most things these days that come out of aust: i.e. pfitzner, ppg, motec etc...better keeping the money here than o'seas IMO :(

it actually surprises me when i see the japanese population run aussie equipment in their own cars :D

At the end of the day any ecu is only as good as the guy that is punching in the numbers and that is fact can not be disputed. The best ecu in the hands of a shite tuner will give a poor result when compared to lets say a lower spec ecu with a really good tuner.

I by no means know enough about ecu's to comment on this one is better than that one etc I personally run a motec m800 in my own car and have no intentions of changeing it as my tuner has a lot of experiance with them and that is what he prefers to use and i am happy with the results that i get. I still personally believe that the motec is the premium option in aftermarket ecu's as its reputation is based on years of high end motorsport use and has proven itself at the top level time and time again.

As far as having 4 times the data logging capacity most poeple will never make full use of the logging available anyway. I am by no means taking a shot at the vipec as it does seem like excellent value for money and it is a bit rich that everything with a motec is an option that will cost you extra but they seem to be able to get away with that due to their reputaion that has been built up over years of development.

My main point that does not seem to have been covered to extensivly in this thread is that no matter what ecu you choose it is only as good as the tuner and in my opinion there are a lot more capable ecu's out there than there are capable tuners.

The reason no v8 supercars run vipec's is because they aren't allowed, just like they aren't allowed to run autronics anymore.

there the control ecu just like dunlop control tyre's

what is the pepsi challenge ??? some sort of ray hall fanboi club ?

also if im setting up a car and i want to run

1 dash

1 multi stage shift light

1 warning light

1 cdi unit

12 injectors

7 EGT's

2 lambda sensors

2 linear potentiometers on the rear shocks

3 wheel speed sensors

5 pressure sensors oil, fuel, map, nos,exhaust manifold

5 temp sensors oil, engine,before cooler, after cooler, gearbox

1 g force sensor

2 sensors crank reference sensor ,cam sync sensor

and nos control for trans brake and the run

will the vipec run this setup ????

ALSO what array of sensors does wedlock's car run for logging ??? if it's not a secret ?

also

V8 Supercars are not the be all and end all...they use lots of old outdated technology...pushrod V8's anyone?

I never expected that out of you Dirt, since you seem to know everything about engines and what not.

The reason I didn't expect it, is that DOHC and what not, are actually OLDER technology then pushrods.