SAU Community

Max Boost For Standard R34 Gtt Turbo

apparently running at 7-9psi stock... whats the most you could get from it without trouble?

Thinking of upgrading my stock 34 in stages... could i just pop a bigger turbo on there and rely on the lil side mount to do well or should i attack the intercooler first?

Cheers :)

your SMIC is good for around 290rwhp. 10 psi is safe but many people have wound it up to 11 or 12 with no problems. BUT many have and popped a turbo. need a aftermarket ecu or piggy back if you are going to do anything, and a good tuner.

apparently running at 7-9psi stock... whats the most you could get from it without trouble?

Thinking of upgrading my stock 34 in stages... could i just pop a bigger turbo on there and rely on the lil side mount to do well or should i attack the intercooler first?

Cheers :)

Stock is 5psi until 4500rpm then it bumps to 7psi.

Do your ins an outs first. Intake and Exhaust. Even without a boost controller the stock level will rise with these mods. but you can keep a peice of mind and install a boost controller so you know exactly where your boost is at. you can boost it safely to 10psi on the stock ECU (some will say higher but to be sure ill say 10). or get a aftermarket ECU and get it tuned for 12psi max, again others may say 14 but some people drive hard and dont let the car cool before switching off etc.

The stock side mount will be sufficient at this stage (dyno sheets show from 190-210rwkw). but the cooler air will compliment the mods thus far.

Hope this helps

• 2 months later...

Cheers ;)

mate that wing you have would be good for an extra 20kw wouldnt it??

• Like 2

just to add to this...

can raising the boost to say 14lbs with stock cooler on the neo damage engine/internals??

also wouldn't boost cut or RnR come in somewhere around this point?

Apart from the turbo failing and then sending bits into the motor?

Be smart, don’t run more than 10-12psi

• 1 year later...

I used to run my stock turbo up to 12.5 all day every day. The profec e01 has been decommissioned for a couple of years and I just put it back in today.

Ran up to 13.5 on a dozen test runs in first and second, and a couple of runs up to 16.5 psi (by accident, the profec momentarily overboosts when the gain is set too high).

Btw just installed a NIStune and it seems pretty excellent so far.

& Not badly priced if you're talented with a soldering iron.

R34GTt Auto

900mm intercooler

3" full exhaust, Hiflow cat

Nistune, GReddy Profec E01

Dualcore Atom, Centrafuse Auto

E-Manage blue for sale with all the R34 modules, ready made wiring loom. Pm me.

as the others have said over and over

10 to 12psi is the general acceptable limit

anything more adds more risk

the engine can fail when the turbo blows

its not guaranteed, but its a risk

for each psi extra you add in you typically gain less and less as you go out of the efficiency zone and you dial in craploads more heat. so more boost, more air, more heat, more stress

the stock SMIC is pathetic and i would not run 12psi on the stock SMIC

if you do, it will work and wont affect the turbo what-so-ever, ie a FMIC doesnt make 12psi safe on the std turbo. the intake temps will however be excessive on the SMIC as it can only heat exchange so much being a small core and low airflow. so 12psi on the SMIC is probably ok, but far from efficient, 12psi with a FMIC would be a better car

When I first got my car tuned while it still had the stock turbo my tuner tuned it to 14psi. Said it is what he runs on all standard GTT's that come through his workshop, has never had an issue with any of them. Just told me to be strict with when I service my car and make sure I keep everything healthy. I ran that for about 6-7 months before I upgraded the turbo, never had any problems. Though having looked through these forums, quite a few people have had issues over 12psi.

well its a calculated risk

if you can afford to replace the turbo

and replace the engine in case both go bang then go for it

And if you CAN aford what Paul is saying here, do the smarter thing and do the upgrades everyone is saying.. ;)

Leave it at FMIC and exhaust until you can afford to outlay for a package.

I wouldnt bother with upping the boost more than 10psi, risky POS turbo and little gain to be had from the stock ecu.

And before you think do the ecu and up the boost, may aswell highflow the turbo while your at it.

Hey guys, ive installed my defi gauges abt 2 months ago n my car was sittin on abt 9psi.. Found out that i had a blown turbo manifold gasket.. When it got fixed the boost went up to 13psi (0.9 bar)!!!! Im nt sure y its runnin soooo high!

Ive got a 3.5" turbo back exhaust, blitz sus pod n splitfire coilpacks(not that would make a diference)... I just got myself a blitz dual solenoid boost controller to turn my boost down.. But still wanted to know if any1 knew y its sooo high?

Cheers

Herbie

• 2 years later...

Always wondered how does an exhaust wheel go back inside the motor? I always assumed it would be spat out into the exhaust. Unless the wheel on the intake side somehow flicks some of the exhaust wheel pieces into the intake. Noob question I know just wanted someone to clarify.