SAU Community

Skylines, the best cars in the world!!

Well you just post a little thread 'bout how you enjoy your car and WHAM!! Everyones arguing about which car is better and which car is not.

So here's mine.

Evo was a consideration but remembering I use this as a work car, and I therefore have to drive it daily, there was one major issue for me. Reliable power.

The EVOs as well as the STis use a 'highly tuned' 2Litre to make their claimed max power, highly tuned 'cause they're of relatively small physical capacity and are 4 Cyl. The GTR, whilst probably making the same 'claimed' power and weighing more than either of the two aforementioned cars, gets its motivation from a 'detuned' 2.6 L six cyl. keeping it from making a mess of the Jap power cap. This suggests to me the GTR is feeling alot less stressed doing what it's doing in comparison.

The Mits and Subie also felt very light wieght and almost flimsy (though I'm sure they're not), the Sky felt solid and usable.

The Mist and STi might take an R33 in a straight line, and so they should considering the wieght advantage they have over the 1.6 tonne Sky. But the owning experience is the whole driving experience, and I've a real fettish for brilliant cornering attitude.

So handling, well although I didn't drive the EVO 6 as this was $25K more than I wanted to spend, the EVO 5 felt more like a front wheel drive with its less sharp turn in and tendancy to understeer mid corner, the GTR felt very different, more like a brilliantly sorted rear wheel drive, but had 'all paw' traction on exit.

Turn in is sharp, and power oversteer is available on demand. Couldn't do this in my friends WRX.

M3, fantastic car, just struggled to get power through the rears alone. So AWD it had to be.

So there you go, all wonderfull cars for different reasons. None really better than the other, just suit different requirements and driving desires.

Diplomatic enough for everyone??

Munro... Don't see many 34 GTRs around Melb but there are a few. GT-Ts and GT-25Ts are becoming more common though, some very tidy examples getting around here. But don't see many GTRs of either R32 or R33 build either. Heaps of BMW compacts though...........Pfftt......!!

Bozz....Wandin, Isn't that where that lady swears there is a Tassie Tiger living and breeding?? No, never lived that far out, played badminton out there at the stadium a couple of times, but no, although spotting a Tassie Tiger might make it interesting. Have to make some regular visits.

Guest ylwgtr

Gumby,iam in melb i have a yellow R34 GTR Vspec.Maybe we should get together and go for a fang someday as you are obviously a good bloke(due to your thoughts on the GTR!)

Originally posted by franks

hehe...

here's a sneak preview - i'm gonna organise a showcase when it arrives in sydney... so you'll have to wait till then :D

thank you Franks!! I'm satisfied (for now) ;):D:D hehe

Did you ever find out if there are different yellows on the R34's? Even in those 3 pics the colour looks different...I think the camera plays tricks on the yellow, makes it look bright when it isn't.

ylwgtr...your turn for pics! pretty please? ;)

Thanks YLWGTR, just some honest opinions.

A fang sounds like a great idea. Any fav. routes around the area?

Where abouts are you? We'll get together and go hunting sports bikes.

Love a demanding piece of road, and driving it in a Skyline is the way to enjoy it!

Originally posted by diduc

re: yellow r34 gtt, saw one with nismo kit and eyelids doing a uturn onto Gipps Rd near the intersection to Great Western Hwy @7.45am Wed 21/7 on way to work.

does any1 here drive it?

this one???

swoop_c.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• So, after talking to Tyson at Auto Tech Engineering about my "cunning plan", he suggested to "not piss money away on stuff that the car probably doesn't need" (the max IAT at the end of the 1/4 ever only seen around 30°C, which is in no way a issue, and as such, for what I use the car for I really don't need colder IAT anyway The whole point of the "upgrades" that I thought about doing was that my IAT started creeping up from 25°C to 30°C when cruising, then drop back down, then raise back up, rinsing and repeating, it has never done that before, so after talking to FI interchillers they assumed that it was the Bosch pump starting to fail, and if I was going to replace the pump....... I would do my usual thing of "while where in there" But, Tyson said he has seen similar things happen to IAT with failing or leaking AC compressors on other cars with interchillers, and as the AC compressor is 22 years old it is probably well on the way out anyway, and if a electric water pump fails it stays failed and doesn't just speed up and slow dow, but if a AC compressor starts to fail or is leaking, it will fluctuate and give a typical result to the IAT He said he could test the compressor and see how it is functioning and pressure test the whole system, but, as I do, I've just got them to order a new compressor to install to start with, and do a AC service and see if that fixes the issue That way, if it is the compressor, I wouldn't be spending lots of coin on something that wasn't the issue, and not actually needed, as the stage 2 kit, and pump, comes in at around $2k in parts alone, not including the plumbing and other parts that will be required or labour  And apparently the Bosch pump I have is really reliable and well up to task for the flow/pressure requirements that I need to keep my intercooler and massive amounts of boost heat (7 psi LOL) under control giving a nice and cold IAT A big shout out to Tyson for this, not many people will talk a idiot out of wasting money on car modifications, and the saved car budget funding can be wasted elsewhere on things that I may, or may not, need, like a nice new leather SS interior with red stitching......maybe I can convince the Minister for War and Finances into a nice trip down to Victoria for a week away to see the sights (I'll explain that I will need a hire car once we're down there so we don't have to worry about the Commodore being parked up on the streets at night, and it just so happens there's a joint that I can store it during that time) $1680 for all of the interior trims, + installation cost (I'll ask for a quote to install the trim if the new compressor fixes the issue)   https://leatherseats.com.au/products/leather-seats-trim-skins-kit-to-fit-vt-vx-vy-ser1-ss-green-black-diy-install  
    • Anyone here know the answer?....missing since the w/e...
    • Google tells me that's a Japanese Rat Snake... 2m long? Man I think Australia has traumatised me to think all snakes are dangerous unless they're pythons. Also... "16 years later..." is that a record on SAU @PranK?
    • Yep, I really miss mine. I dont, however, miss it's understeer. Hard to find a genuine 'Sport' model these days. That sounds awesome! Good fun and great result!  I'd love to do a 1/4 in mine now that its reasonably healthy with the tune. I last did a run in my white GTR, I think it was a 12.3 and I can't remember the mph and I think the little E90 might be quicker.
    • FWIW, I made 372kW on a Mainline dyno, with a stock motor (bar head studs & usual bolt ons) on E85 (pretty timid timing in the mid range) and it blew up after a year of track use. Probably got like 5~6 Wakefield track days and 1x skid pan somewhere in between.