SAU Community

Hpc Coating Turbo Rear Housing

Hey,

Just spoke to the guys at competition coatings, and they were telling me they silver coating isnt good enough for the rear housing, and they need to use the black coating, which is more expensive, and not as appealing to the eye. He said he has done a few in silver, but mainly for show cars, and if they get too hot they go grey, he said it doesnt look too bad. Just wondering if anyone has done silver, or got any pics of a silver one, thats gone grey.

cheers

Edited by choku_dori

yea normally the coating will go powdery and come off a bit but it stays a duller version of the colour you put on most the time... make sure you get it blasted or acid cleaned before you do it though otherwise its a waste of time.

personally anything that is getting a bit of surface rust like exhaust manifolds or whatever i just dip/spray it in phosphoric acid which chemically turns the surface black/gray and it stays that way.

phosphoric acid also works really well for brightening/ cleaning aluminium and is allot safer than the hydroflouric/nitroc acid mixtures.

I got mine done at Sydney's competition coatings over a year ago now.

The main areas still has a shine to it, but pretty sure it won't go dull like you see on the inside

post-36493-1244521067_thumb.jpg

post-36493-1244521081_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
yea normally the coating will go powdery and come off a bit but it stays a duller version of the colour you put on most the time... make sure you get it blasted or acid cleaned before you do it though otherwise its a waste of time.

personally anything that is getting a bit of surface rust like exhaust manifolds or whatever i just dip/spray it in phosphoric acid which chemically turns the surface black/gray and it stays that way.

phosphoric acid also works really well for brightening/ cleaning aluminium and is allot safer than the hydroflouric/nitroc acid mixtures.

just to double check that is basically what Rust Converter is right?

Well the silver Comp coatings is using is good for 1600oF - they should know well enough that they can use a special primer to raise that threshhold up to 2000oF to match the blacks rating.

couple of hints :

-clean hands and no oil on the parts before using it for the first time will ensure maximum shine

-you can repolish the chrome coating with metal polish, just remember to use methylated spirits to clean off the polish residue before starting the car up again

I use the same products that they are listed as a distributer for - Leon if you want some extra info chat me

Any idea what it would cost to do an ehaust manifold, one piece split dump and exhaust housing?

No chrome tho, just a factory looking grey or black.

Edited by W0rp3D