SAU Community

Tyre Set-ups On Big Power Set-ups

Just finalising the last few touches for the car, tyres came up..

Car;

power & delivery (snappy - progressive?);

tires (street choice, track choice?);

how you rate them;

GTS-T owners are welcomed to post to, could serve as a good key referance

cheers

Edited by Tomek

well i guess it comes down to how much u wanna spend and how much u can fit under ur guards. any modification to ur guards? whats ur budget?

Il spend what Il need to spend, but would prefer going down a cheaper path. That's why id like to see what people are running..

Rims in choice are 33 gtr wheel 9' wide, so have approximately 255's to play with.

I put some Toyo T1R's on recently in 245/40 on R34 18x9s - were not too bad at the start.

My suspension was shot so fixed all that up rear cradle off new bushes everywhere, new arms, bars etc and all the camber caster etc set up.

Still wasn't overly impressed with them - but just over the past few weeks they have really started to get better and better as they have worn in.

They are now freaking amazing in the wet - I think they grip better than when it's dry!! Went up out the back of Healsville yesterday through a good 10km of 80km/h tight twisty rally esque back road and they did not skip a beat on wet, sometimes raining road. Put the 300 odd kw down without a question.

In the dry they are still reasonable, but the rubber is quite firm so they are not going to be overly impressive - will last longer though so fit in with a limited budget. Great mid-performance tyre for the price.

Edited by paulR32gtr

what use are you talking about? circuit racing? casual circuit days with some street use? all street use with the odd track day? drag racing? casual drag days with mostly street? or just high performance road tyres? this makes a big difference to what is suitable or not.

Such a hard question to answer as BB mentioned.

For example i had 255/45/17 semi comps on and with a laggy"ish" big single turned them hard in the dry when it came on full song. But then with twins, 30more kw atw and a more linear delivery of torque and power, 235/45/17 chaiwanese crap were doing very well in a straight line. Corners were a whole new story with them though....

what use are you talking about? circuit racing? casual circuit days with some street use? all street use with the odd track day? drag racing? casual drag days with mostly street? or just high performance road tyres? this makes a big difference to what is suitable or not.

what ever category you fall into, rather then just leaching area specific information for myself this could be a valuable reference to people. The stickied thread doesn't exactly cover all the variable's; power & application, Buying the wrong set of tire's for your car can be a costly mistake.

But being more to the point, I want some rubber which will fit on a 9' rim which will handle the car on the street through it's run in period, dyno tune's & street duties (T04z).. probably a bit ahead of myself if a 255/265 will handle a rwd dyno.

I put some Toyo T1R's on recently in 245/40 on R34 18x9s - were not too bad at the start.

My suspension was shot so fixed all that up rear cradle off new bushes everywhere, new arms, bars etc and all the camber caster etc set up.

Still wasn't overly impressed with them - but just over the past few weeks they have really started to get better and better as they have worn in.

They are now freaking amazing in the wet - I think they grip better than when it's dry!! Went up out the back of Healsville yesterday through a good 10km of 80km/h tight twisty rally esque back road and they did not skip a beat on wet, sometimes raining road. Put the 300 odd kw down without a question.

In the dry they are still reasonable, but the rubber is quite firm so they are not going to be overly impressive - will last longer though so fit in with a limited budget. Great mid-performance tyre for the price.

Yeah the toyo range are a great tire, used to take my t1r kitted gtr with 225's to the track .. lol.. Got 2nd in my class, mind you on a stock-ish gtr. Not sure how they would handle more power thought.

Yeah definitely not a great track tire... Maybe some R888's or RA1's

Do you have two sets of rims?

This is something I need to tackle soonish, another set of 18x9's and some tarmac rally rubber.

Have tried the Bridgestone RE55s SR2 (I think - slightly older tread pattern than the current model) at ~300rwkw and they were fantastic, but barely lasted through targa - really noticed a big drop off in grip by day 4. They were around $500 a corner I think.

Edited by paulR32gtr

Yeah definitely not a great track tire... Maybe some R888's or RA1's

Do you have two sets of rims?

This is something I need to tackle soonish, another set of 18x9's and some tarmac rally rubber.

Have tried the Bridgestone RE55s SR2 (I think - slightly older tread pattern than the current model) at ~300rwkw and they were fantastic, but barely lasted through targa - really noticed a big drop off in grip by day 4. They were around $500 a corner I think.

yeah 2 sets, 32 and 33gtr rims... 32 wheels are useless to me 8' and only 16' doesn't leave much room for brake upgrade's..

i had gtr with t04z and 575rwhp

had 235/45/17 nangkang ns2 on 17x9 buddy clubs

handled the power and put it down well, not the greatest tyre in the world but very cheap... more than enough grip around the corners on the street to loose your licence

suspension work plays a huge part... wind camber out of the rear and get some angle in your subframe and it will work wonders!

at a mild output of 220kwrw i've been happy enough with the Federal RS semi slicks (595's?) 255*35ZR*18 on the rear and 225 on the front - RWD. they seem to stay put if there's no clutch tappin'' but break free nicely with a little juice in the wet ...

Re; Nankangs - use Mr Searchy to find other peoples opinions, but from what I remember, NS1s are scary dangerous with no grip, NS2s are only a little better. Other cheapish stuff like federal 595SS or falken 452 were rated much better grip wise.

excellent argument...

were you in the debate team in high school?

it's pretty simple, you dont run cheapy tyres on a car with a lot of power if ur after grip. lol thought that one was a given.