SAU Community

Rod Chose

craked

Crower/carillo/pauter...if you genuinely want to make big power & still have peace of mind about a rod not exiting the block.

Pauter do custom size rods all the time unlike many other manufacturers.

just wondering peoples chose on conrods for an rb30 set to make 1000hp ?

Based on what?

The worlds most powerfull, quickest and fastest RB30 uses Argo so they must be plenty good enough I'd say.

Not getting involved with whats better or what not but one thing i like about the carrillos when side by side to other rods ive found the equivalent carrillos were consistantly lighter..... the downside is the price :)

Edited by URAS

ive used carrillo's in speedway moters that have done 30 race meets a season and they are throw away after that . they stretch and ya can kiss a motor goodbye if you dont pull ya motor down and measure them from time to time .

ive used carrillo's in speedway moters that have done 30 race meets a season and they are throw away after that . they stretch and ya can kiss a motor goodbye if you dont pull ya motor down and measure them from time to time .

which exact model were you using? oh and engine type. We change valve springs on some v8 drag engines every few races and they are the best money can buy everything is relative to application.

Edited by URAS

Do the manufactures provde strength testing charts????? i'm guessing they don't. that would settle all reasoning.

there are plenty of independant test results around, if your really hardcore you could even send them to an AUSTRALIA NATA Accredited Laboratory for Mechanical stress Testing. I did such with a range of rods we bought out the back door of a big manufacturer that supplies a few jap and american brands. We sent the original and a "back door" special for testings to confirm they were indeed the same thing.

This said assembly line produced Scat, K1, Eagle, Brian Crower and a couple of other brands ran the same "assembly line". Some just do the finishing in house.

Carrillo

Pauter

Oliver

Argo etc are in a separate boat to the above 'assy line'.

From Carrillo;

“When considering any connecting rod, the configuration of the beam does not dictate the strength of the connecting rod. Different applications place different

requirements on a rod design, hence also suggesting different beam configurations. Deciding factors on which beam type to use include weight, clearance and actual load conditions in the engine.”

good reading; http://www.faliconcranks.com/Making%20the%20Connection.pdf

Edited by URAS

there are plenty of independant test results around, if your really hardcore you could even send them to an AUSTRALIA NATA Accredited Laboratory for Mechanical stress Testing. I did such with a range of rods we bought out the back door of a big manufacturer that supplies a few jap and american brands. We sent the original and a "back door" special for testings to confirm they were indeed the same thing.

This said assembly line produced Scat, K1, Eagle, Brian Crower and a couple of other brands ran the same "assembly line". Some just do the finishing in house.

Carrillo

Pauter

Oliver

Argo etc are in a separate boat to the above 'assy line'.

From Carrillo;

"When considering any connecting rod, the configuration of the beam does not dictate the strength of the connecting rod. Different applications place different

requirements on a rod design, hence also suggesting different beam configurations. Deciding factors on which beam type to use include weight, clearance and actual load conditions in the engine."

good reading; http://www.faliconcranks.com/Making%20the%20Connection.pdf

Very interesting. if they all published there results it would be clear which ones to buy. Generally i think they will all be of similar metalurgy which is why id be worried about lighter ones.

obviously in terms off higher RPM the thicker the cross section the higher the UTS but then as carrillo mention, other factors such as twisting could cause some issues which is why i think the I/H beam designed rods would be hard to beat???

Edited by GT-RZ

• 1 year later...

Howards is so confident in these rods that they offer a one year unconditional warranty against rod breakage (PPF6000 & PPF6000-L19). These have already become their number one selling rods!