SAU Community

R32 costs? they vary alot

How much for a 92 or above r32 gts or gtst under 100 000km's in good condition??

Ive seen prices vary from 8k for a 120 000 k 92 gts in NZ classifieds, then ive seen almost identical cars selling for 20grand

After how many kms is the engine likely to screw up??? I dont know anything about engiens and i dont want to buy a skyline which needs replacing in 6 months, is there a way to check if its in good condition?? If the previous owners thrashed it i dobut hes gonna tell me

As there are so many with such a diverse range of mods then its hard to give a definite answer. Myself i would be looking at a car that has already had an Australian owner, and around 15k.

They come cheaper and dearer, and only because someone is asking a certain price dosent mean its condition is reflected in the pricing.

Also i wouldnt be too worried when looking at kms, go on the condition of the car, using kms as an indicator. Noone wants my 92 R32 because it has 159,000kms, but thats fine, i know its a better car then many apparent 80,000km cars. They handle kms well, just as they handle hard driving well a long as the servicing has been looked after.

I recently bought a R32 GTSt in Melbourne and found good cars few and far between. Saw a few good ones, but many more dodgy cars.

Eg. cars with no compliance plates but somehow registered, dealers not wanting me to get the car tested then when they finally agreed found the car had been a major accident -10L dint in fuel tank, missing aircon compressor and fan, changed instrument panel.

Expect to spend at least a month looking then about $14-17k with roadworthy. Probably not worth buying a car without roadworthy if ur not really into engines, it could cost a lot more than uthink to get it on the road.

Finally, depending on ur age, make sure u have at least $2k extra for insurance.

Im only experienced with local prices. I paid 16k for my car by personally importing it myself. Back then you couldnt get a 32 under 21 thousand in Perth and they were rare as rocking horse shit.

Now you can personally import a 15 year old car for 10k-ish, but to be honest ive only seen one or two in decent nick. The rest have been really rough.

Hard to say what theyre worth, some owners might be looking at the "15 year" cars and dropping the value based on that. Others might not even know you can pick one up so cheap so they keep their price high.

Very difficult to judge.

As for insurance, not sure what its like in NZ with its copious amounts of imports, but I pay 700 bucks a year.

Red17

Always buy a car with a RWC, even if it's not roadworthy you can try screwing the mechanic that signed it buy getting them to repair it to save their testing license. I've been stung before by bargaining cars down without RWC, yet having to spend $2k getting a RWC for it myself. It's probably even better to get a RACV check, and better yet, get a mechanic to check the mechanical condition outside roadworthyness, (compression etc) to get a better idea of the engine itself.