SAU Community

Gt-r Leather Quality

Yep agree with INVERTD. You may be able to chase it up via TPA...section 53 i think..

- '(aa) falsely represent that services are of a particular standard, quality, value or grade'

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep agree with INVERTD. You may be able to chase it up via TPA...section 53 i think..

- '(aa) falsely represent that services are of a particular standard, quality, value or grade'

And what does Nissan say about the "Quality of the Leather" on the R35?

Even a $66K WRX STi is advertised as having "high quality Alcantara leather"

I think I have the solution, find 200-300k cash (what you might have saved on a Porsche turbo or Ferrari) and either spend it on getting the car where you want it standards wise or buy something nice for your misses, you might get lucky and relax a little!

Just kiddin buddy. I too have noticed the difference in fit and finish to my 540i, the car more than makes up for it in bang for your buck though. You are paying for R and D, techno wizardry and not paying much for it compared to it's competitors. Go track the car so you and it can bond a little

You are probably right. I have an E55 AMG with beautiful Nappa leather and gorgeous birds' eye maple interior and now want to repeat the experience. Silly me.

I am very happy with 95% of the GT-R interior as exactly what I expected, if only they hadn't inserted that freaking off cut where I can see it!

You are not wrong with the 997 Turbo either. I actually walked away from buying one at the last minute to get this monster! That 250K saved is very nice, thank you Nissan.

I will be tracking this baby just as soon as I get my first service done next week and the Ozicozi clear film goes on the front. Those flying pebbles at Eastern Creek can really sand-blast the paint.

We will bond for sure. Thanks, mate.

Edited by GT-Ricer

• 2 weeks later...

that does look pretty average. the 3 jdm cars I had were no where near that bad. 1 07 model and 2 early 08 models. maybe they are less worried about small export markets than their own domestic customers... the adm cars I've looked closely at were not as bad as yours either. I'm sure even if their average is not exactly ferrari grade they can still do better than what you have and should definitely provide you with 2 new front seat covers at their expense.

it's also a bit odd how in their email they say that being a natural product it has blemishes, defects etc. then in the next paragraph they state that is has no defects...which is it?

that does look pretty average. the 3 jdm cars I had were no where near that bad. 1 07 model and 2 early 08 models. maybe they are less worried about small export markets than their own domestic customers... the adm cars I've looked closely at were not as bad as yours either. I'm sure even if their average is not exactly ferrari grade they can still do better than what you have and should definitely provide you with 2 new front seat covers at their expense.

it's also a bit odd how in their email they say that being a natural product it has blemishes, defects etc. then in the next paragraph they state that is has no defects...which is it?

Some people think that saving face means not admitting they've made a mistake. On the contrary, dealing quickly with this festering sore will give them a lot more credibility than pretending the problem

does not exist. I am not going to just fade away, am I?

As to natural products, there are many natural products out there but few of them are fit to be used in high-end sports cars interiors.The statement is patronising to say the least, as if I hadn't had leather seats, all of them of better quality, in every car I've owned in the past 25 years.

I would be pissed about this. As has been said, there are Fords and Holdens with better quality leather. Judging by your photos, this is what I imagine pleather must look like after 10 years of wear. Please continue fighting this!

I do feel, however, that the expectation is there. I'm surprised we haven't heard more complaints about the quality of materials etc. used in the R35. Afterall, this car was meant to be the "affordable" supercar and you can be sure that every cost cut possible (bar the engineering side of things) would have been made in its production to make the car viable. Regardless, any car costing 170k should not have seats with a material that would make you consider vinyl as a better alternative :P

P.S. In the patronising manner it is written, it wouldn't surprise me if the customer service reply you got came straight from a template/mail-merge with your name inserted in the fields. Standard, typical, hope-you-go-away-after-reading-this response.

Edited by Birds

What I don't get is, the difference in quality between the 2 panels where you have your thumb pressed down.. They should be identical..

This is obvious to everybody except Nissan Australia and Nissan Japan... it is a natural product, you know...! :)

And LOL @ natural product. So I guess they just dug the rest of the R35 out of the ground too. Is "natural product" the new word for not covered by warranty? Perhaps they were aiming for that "imperfection is perfection" philosophy?

I can tell you for certain none of the R35s i imported had leather looking anything like that. they were all fine.

Yes, but they were all JDM, not the stripped down ADR versions. Maybe the Japanese consumers are more demanding and not as gaga-eyed over the GT-R as Nissan presumed the Australian buyers would be after all these years in the wilderness since the last GT-R disappeared from our market?

Well as i said from day 1, we were gonna get detuned versions of the GTR and the warranty and service from Nissan wont be worth spit but i got shot down by a few guys for saying it.Looks like i was 100% correct

GT-Ricer :Mate i would seek immediate advice from a solicitor and dont bother talking direct to Nissan, you have to start acting like a flamin mongrel about this for anything to happen, Good luck, i hope you get it repaired at Nissan AUS expense.

edit:(LOL i didnt use flamin mongrel i used the C word, thanks SAU swear detector)

Why does the R35 sound so much like a used car?

:P

New from Nissan in 2010...the "Previously Owned" (dodgy-dealership, worth-less-than-the-paper-it's-written-on-warranty included).

The internet is a wonderful place. A couple of complaints on an aussie forum and suddenly all the thousands of owners have been spoken for worldwide and the car is deemed worthless.

Don't worry Birds, the car is awesome.

Finding a defect on my 175k Nissan doesn't hurt as bad as a 450k Lambo owner breaking a cheap plastic dash switch for the first time.

lots of theories here. Just a bad batch of leather. At the end of the day to retrim outer edge of the seat in leather will cost at MOST $2,000?. When I was selling cars you could retrim 4 seats in some very nice Howe leather for that kind of money. $2K in leather can save a WHOLE LOT of headache for all involved. You wonder why, on a flagship car Nissan couldn't just bite the bullet. A local motor trimmer can do a great job with great leather at what amounts to as a drop in the ocean for a big company.