SAU Community

Top Gear Oz

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..not only was he pussyfooting the GT Ph3 he goes on to say it's "re-inforced the legend" I thought the legend was shattered. He said the car has trecherous handling on the limit and then the Stig took it around in 1.22min...that's barely quicker than the Proton Satria...and the knob who spent $750K on a souped up XY Fairmont, needs brain surgery.

If i wanted to spend that kind of money on a nostalgic performance/super car that could rarely be driven and never left un-attended (unless locked in a high security fortress), I 'd be buying a Ferrari F40!

Although, still much better than watching Glenn Ridge drive a Camry , or some other dross at 40km/h talking about freakin airbags on "The Car Show". Or watching them edit a 1min 30 lap at calder in a decent modified older car down to 30 sec, to fit the end credits!

But honestly, wetting down a corner at Oran, doing a couple of puny skidz is hardly a definitive test of ANY car. OOOH! Treacherous handling! :P

..not only was he pussyfooting the GT Ph3 he goes on to say it's "re-inforced the legend" I thought the legend was shattered. He said the car has trecherous handling on the limit and then the Stig took it around in 1.22min...that's barely quicker than the Proton Satria...and the knob who spent $750K on a souped up XY Fairmont, needs brain surgery.

If i wanted to spend that kind of money on a nostalgic performance/super car that could rarely be driven and never left un-attended (unless locked in a high security fortress), I 'd be buying a Ferrari F40!

I had exactly the same feeling watching that segment, you get the feeling these old codgers with too much cash are making mountains out of molehills when they spend 500,000+ on an original 'aussie muscle car'that feature 351 cubic inches of boat anchor style performance. Then last weekend i went and watched the shannons sponsered muscle car series at QR and they answer became clear...... if you love old touring cars that feature a 8 cylinder soundtrack and you have that much dosh you would be cazy not to just buy a old race car and get some real bang for your bucks at the track.

Dunno about the F40, maybe a winfield GTR for me.

Read something recently, apparently a GTHO phase 3 owner walked into prestige dealer to swap his car for a new Lambo, "cos it's worth $750,000", the dealer didn't take him up on the offer...

Read something recently, apparently a GTHO phase 3 owner walked into prestige dealer to swap his car for a new Lambo, "cos it's worth $750,000", the dealer didn't take him up on the offer...

Very interesting. In any case the dealer would want at least $100,000 mark up to cover themselves. so there would never be a staright swap. Would be interesting to know what changover price was suggested, let me guess $700,000?

I reckon these crazy Musclecar prices are just a reflection on how good Australia's economy was during the Howard years with blue collar industries such as mining, transport and building experiencing unpreecedented boom. I doubt that any European or Japanese supercar would appear on their radar.

Another example was the HRT 427 Show Car that sold to a builder in Queensland (in 2007) by the name of 'Chooka' for $950,000! $950K for a 2 door VT Commodore and a hot, off the shelf Chevy 7.0l V8! and a race style interior! :rofl:

I would of laughed at him if i was the Dealer, then politely tell him to leave the premises.

Just because the guy decided to pay $750,000 for it doesn't mean its worth that, i reckon in todays market he would be lucky to fetch $350,000- $400,000 IF it sells.

Its sad to say but he may as well throw it off a cliff if he needs the cash, because he'll get more from a insurance payout.

I would of laughed at him if i was the Dealer, then politely tell him to leave the premises.

Just because the guy decided to pay $750,000 for it doesn't mean its worth that, i reckon in todays market he would be lucky to fetch $350,000- $400,000 IF it sells.

Its sad to say but he may as well throw it off a cliff if he needs the cash, because he'll get more from a insurance payout.

Like all collectors items, the value is nothing to do with the car, but with the buyers emotional attachment to what the car represents. It might as well be a red cardboard box they're selling/buying.

Like all collectors items, the value is nothing to do with the car, but with the buyers emotional attachment to what the car represents. It might as well be a red cardboard box they're selling/buying.

I agree. Very true indeed

Just watched the UK Top Gears' season 13 episode 2 and all is forgiven to the Oz version. I can put up with our povo version as long it's followed by Richard Hammond driving McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron and Murcie SV all in one episode on closed off streets of Abu Dabi.

There is God

Just watched the UK Top Gears' season 13 episode 2 and all is forgiven to the Oz version. I can put up with our povo version as long it's followed by Richard Hammond driving McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron and Murcie SV all in one episode on closed off streets of Abu Dabi.

There is God

QFT!

There's nothing better than the UK version, nothing

Yes there is finally proof there is a god.

According to the australian who ran this article.

SBS ponders 3rd Gear

The second series of Top Gear Oz has lost more than 200,000 viewers during the course of it's eight episodes, with the final on monday garnering just 487,000, the first time viewer numbers have fallen below 500,000. Support has fallen every week since the first episode of the second series screened in May to 689,000 viewers. By comparison, the first series peaked above 900,000. SBS says it has yet to make a decision on whether it will proceed with another series. Meanwhile, SBS will show six-year-old reruns of the original english program starting on Monday.

Please oh please don't make anymore. Just let the show die.

I agree TG Australia isnt the best, but surely it's better than nothing?

I reckon they should deviate from the homogenized franchise formula (with the characters and sets) and do some unique stuff, make it their own. The problem is people watch the contrived/copied sets and (poorly executed) scripted joke segments, it just doesnt work. Make it more aussie!

I agree TG Australia isnt the best, but surely it's better than nothing?

I reckon they should deviate from the homogenized franchise formula (with the characters and sets) and do some unique stuff, make it their own. The problem is people watch the contrived/copied sets and (poorly executed) scripted joke segments, it just doesnt work. Make it more aussie!

If they were serious about it they would have put on some no name people. I thought that was the whole idea from the start. I think I remember something about the ads to begin with. Didn't SBS originally run the idea that normal everyday people with a love for cars should submit there own entries to be presenters? Then when the show started they had three wankers from a car show, and two journalist? (correct me if i am wrong of which i possibly am) Who also looked very similar to the UK top gear. In my mind if SBS was serious in giving Top Gear Oz a red hot crack from the start I believe they should have at least had one of the entrants, even if he/she wasnt that good on the show as a presenter to give it that aussie feel.

I think i feel ill I'm actually trying to make this show better :-\

I think the falling ratings were always going to happen no matter which host. The honeynoon & novelty is well and truely over. Time for some new schtick! But the nature of the TG "franchise" perhaps means they are stuck where they are. To be frank it looks like a repackaged "Hey Hey It's Saturday" pretending to be a car show (playing soccer with cars, drag racing jet planes etc etc) have they dressed up as women yet, does it have plukka duck? Even the UK show suffers from this variety show disease. Anyway i guess they need to cater to non-car people for ratings, especially in our tiny market. Car people think it's lame, non-car people quickly lose interest.

Edited by LSX-438