SAU Community

Diff b/w gtr and gts-t turbos

Chief

Hi Guys, am asking more specifically about r33 gtr and gts-t turbos. Can anyone tell me differences between the two.

Are they similar in specs (ie.. are internals the same or similar between the two). I know for a fact that the housing lines (I think thats what the're called) are different, but are there any other major differences between the two.

From what I've read recently it sounds like the turbos on the GTR's are smaller units.

Reason I ask is that when I first got my 'line turbo started to go and I got my mech. friend to get me a hi flowed r33 unit. To cut a long story short, he ends up fitting a high flowed GTR unit instead of a GTS-t type one. I'm just wondering if Ive been disadvantaged in any ways with this one (eg.. less airflow).

Any help appreciated.

T28? so Im assuming then the turbos internals are similar in size, this is the same size of the internals found in the GTST turbos is it not. Thanks for the reply Busky2k.

Does anyone else know if things like compressors and housing are actually smaller?

I stock GTR turbo is small than a gts-t turbo and is rated at less power. U will be going backwards if u installed 1 GTR turbo into your gts-t. Highflowed depends on what they actually changed inside and if the housing has been machined etc.

Thanks for the replies guys, although this has kinda got me bit depressed. Better talk to my friend and see what 'high flowed' exactly means in regards to my unit.

Hopefully my turbos internals (housing and compressor) have been upsized.

Yeh Roy it needed a fair bit of work to hook it up, It needed custom braided/housing lines (cant quite remember what the're called, Im a newb to this) to fit. Dont ask me why he got this turbo for me, although I did specify to him that I wanted a turbo with minimal lag/ good midrange response.

I did specify a gtst hiflow but perhaps he didnt realise till he got it and tried to fit it that gtr turbos arnt the same (he's a guru with soarers, but not as knowledgable with skylines).

Heres to hoping that he isnt going to charge you a mint because he ordered the wrong turbo.

Hi-flowed GTST turbos bolt straight on just as they bolt off...so all the new lines and labour cost money which i hope you dont end up paying for.

It was done a while ago, bout 6 months now. If it was just done I would have told him to get it replaced with a gtst one. Im a bit disappointed by the whole incident, and yes, he did charge me for the braided lines, a couple of hundred if I recall correct. He's fairly genuine though so I dont think he tried to rip me off.

Pity it has taken me this long to realize this though.

I read what you had to say and immediately went to the garage and looked at my two standard T28's i pulled off my R32 GTR and here is how to identify them:

They are stamped as GARRETT on the compressor side with a A/R 42 aspect ratio. They have a two bolt inlet flange and two bolt outlet flange.

The core tag has the Nissan part number 14411-05U20.

The exhaust housing was a little harder to identify, but looked like it was stamped with A/R 48 near the T2 inlet flange.

They are a small compressor based on the T25 series, hope that helps.

it would be very hard to figure out if the original compressor housing or exhaust housing have been fitted with different trim wheels. An easy way would be to see whether the inlet snout has been machined out further than standard to accept a larger compressor wheel and usually when turbo builders do a proper "high-flow" they also get rid of the failure-prone ceramic exhaust turbine wheels for steel ones. (which will let you make more boost with higher shaft speed, without getting what i call "shaftus-disintegratous") :)

So measure the diameter of the inlet of the compressor and give the exhaust wheel a flick with your fingernail to see if it is steel. you'd have to take the dump pipe off of course...

if you measure it, i'll post up the diameter of my standard ones.