SAU Community

R35 Fuel Consumption

70RTY

I have been asked a few times how much fuel the GTR uses, so I am going to post the fuel consumption figures for my 2008 JDM GTR every so often.

Since my last fill up I have concentrated on conserving fuel and driving fairly efficiently and therefore left the car in auto mode most of the time. The driving consisted mainly of inner city bumper to bumper traffic and some suburban driving. However, I did have some self restraint issues and floored it a few times.

Over 380km the car used 49.09L of V power. i.e. 12.9L/100km.

I think this could easily be improved in less dense traffic and more highway driving, however drivng in a fuel efficient fashion is not the way to gain the most enjoyment from this car.

I am installing a midpipe this Friday so it will be interesting to see how that effects fuel consumption (if at all).

It would be great to see what fuel consumption others are achieving - don't be shy, post up your stats!

I am getting about 18l/100km around town (50:50 stop start / cruising) and down to about 10l/100km on the open freeway.

On the track, the thing drinks fuel like there is no tomorrow! I have to take jerry cans.

It drinks more fuel then my 438cube V8 Monaro did (not that i really care) :D

Open road I get about 11L per 100km. City and random driving I get 17.8 or thereabouts.

Track days I have done on average 2.3km per Litre. The worst fuel consumption I have measured was 1.95km per litre over 1/2 a tank.

From 60 litres I get about 130km on the track, plus enough to get me to the nearest servo.

Not sure about per tank, I remember on my drive back from Melb my fuel consuption screen said I was getting about 9.5 km's per Litre. With normal highway driving.

Thats with a Cobb access port installed, boosting hp by 50-60hp though that sure won't help fuel consumption LOL

We are looking at developing 'in flight' re-fuelling for the GTR....they are very thirsty, however a custom AP Tune can tone down their thirst at the track. Commanded lambda at WOT ranges around 0.72 which is around 10.6:1 AFR in the old money. Cleaning them up when we tune them sees several extra laps before pouring another $100 of 98 down its thirsty little filler neck :)

A friend also owns an ADM R35. 3 weeks ago we set out to compare fuel consumption on highway driving in M mode. For the same 40km, I could only manage 7.3km/L and he amazed me to achieve 9.3km/L.

Anyway, my last refuel was 56.74L for 400km of V power, that was about 7.05km/L or 14.2L/100km of mainly highway driving. My worst fuel consumption was 5.9km/L during break-in schedule at the first 2000km.

We are looking at developing 'in flight' re-fuelling for the GTR....they are very thirsty, however a custom AP Tune can tone down their thirst at the track. Commanded lambda at WOT ranges around 0.72 which is around 10.6:1 AFR in the old money. Cleaning them up when we tune them sees several extra laps before pouring another $100 of 98 down its thirsty little filler neck :)

"In flight?" re-fueling?

That wouldnt be related to the 12 hr would it? Some CAMS people tell me the $$ rules are about the change which should see some GTR's return to the mountain. Speaking of which, you might sell a truckload of coolers Martin! (or another truckload)....

It would be interesting to compare fuel consumption with GT-R's supercar competitors, ie Gallardo LP560-4, Murcielago LP640, Porsche 911 GT2, 911 Turbo, Aston Martin DBS, Ferrari F430, 599GTB etc. In that company it may not be that bad at all! In city traffic my mate was averaging 16l/100km in his VZ Clubsport, so 17l/100km around town is high, but not sooo bad for a sub 4 second 0-100km/h 300km/h+ AWD supercar.

For the performance levels this car achieves, I think the fuel consumption is quite good. Sure, it uses heaps of petrol when you are pushing hard but that is the case with any fast car. We are lucky that if you choose to drive conservatively, reasonable fuel consumption can be gained.

For the performance levels this car achieves, I think the fuel consumption is quite good. Sure, it uses heaps of petrol when you are pushing hard but that is the case with any fast car. We are lucky that if you choose to drive conservatively, reasonable fuel consumption can be gained.

Drive to the Beach most w/ends on back roads......have done this with many Cars and the R35

can be good on juice even when still going very quick....one just has to be smooth on the Pedal.

Cayman S would use only a little less going similar speeds...(requires more Pedal... :D )

Exige SuperCharged can also use a fair bit of juice.........(when using the PEDAL..more Pedal required to be as quick..)

I am happy with it's fuel Consumption........ :thumbsup: ........but I don't get much traffic/start-stop here.........

The GTR for me uses less fuel than an RX-8 I had a couple of years back. On the track the RX-8 got about 3km/l and was nowhere near as fast, on the road the RX-8 was a bit worse.

That being said, if you need to worry about the cost of fuel then you should not be buying the GTR....or any car over about $60k.

Cheers

Normal outer suburban driving (40% 70kph+ roads, 2 km typical traffic light separation) averages between 12.0 and 13.0 l/100km with approx a full throttle blast to 100kph every 10 km.

Inner city stop start traffic gets me about 15 l/100km.

Open road at 110 kph is around 11 l/100km.

Taking a mate for a blast around suburban streets showing him what it can do in that environment......20+ l/100 km.

Oh and my fuel consumption readout reads between 0.5 and 0.9 l/100 km better than what the consumption really is. Can this be recalibrated using any aftermarket device or perhaps would Nissan be able to do it? Just needs a tweak of around 7%.

David

I am getting around 23L/100km with my modified R33 GTR so last couple of tanks around 17L/100km in the R35 seems alright to me (considering I love my midpipe so much & love to hear its tune!)

Will check it out now I have new Cobb tune & see if average changes. The Cobb tune feels much more linear & definately feels stronger. Will put it on 4WD dyno before do any other mods to see where it is at. I am looking at dump pipes & forge actuators next.

"In flight?" re-fueling?

That wouldnt be related to the 12 hr would it? Some CAMS people tell me the $$ rules are about the change which should see some GTR's return to the mountain. Speaking of which, you might sell a truckload of coolers Martin! (or another truckload)....

lol, I'm fairly sure the inflight refuelling was a joke. :P

they are thirsty, but as pointed out my 32 GTR would get as bad as 23L/100km when being pushed around on the street a bit.. ;) on the track... nuts. hell even my old V8 lexus was a thirsty beast, in city driving it was up near 18L/100km. nasty. so given the power it makes, and the fact that most of us can't resist the odd jab on the pedal I think they are doing pretty well.

Note: I'm too scared to even measure the consumption of the RX7, but at a guess I'd say 25L/100+ :D:)

lol, I'm fairly sure the inflight refuelling was a joke. :P

they are thirsty, but as pointed out my 32 GTR would get as bad as 23L/100km when being pushed around on the street a bit.. ;) on the track... nuts. hell even my old V8 lexus was a thirsty beast, in city driving it was up near 18L/100km. nasty. so given the power it makes, and the fact that most of us can't resist the odd jab on the pedal I think they are doing pretty well.

Note: I'm too scared to even measure the consumption of the RX7, but at a guess I'd say 25L/100+ :D:)

Ahh ok, i thought Mr Tuna was perhaps installing a new/bigger tank. I do wonder how the R35's will go around the mountain, three laps, then in for a refuel! :)