SAU Community

Aftermarket Radiators On S2's C34's

pyro-ns

just helped GreenGhost fit a new rad to his S2 the other day... I believe it was a cooling pro, but pm him and verify: he got it from justjap. I can tell you that the fan shroud fitted perfectly, as did the radiator itself: very impressed with the quality, and it's a massive improvement over the stock item (looks shiny too!)...

Hi all,

So i f**ked the mrs radiator top tank today. replaced oem clamp with normal hoseclamp, overtightened not thinking that i was tightening on to plastic, and of course, coolant started pissing out everywhere. Broke the neck into 5 or 6 different pieces.

Just wanting to find out what other people have upgraded to? I know 2/3 of stuff all about radiators. I know there's some with more cores than others (which apparently cools better?), with different thicknesses, but aside from that, i'm a noob.

Gotta go wash the coolant off my hands and face now. Cat's desperately trying to lick me.

Cheers guys ;)

josh

Edited by pyro-ns

is ur car manual or auto if its auto there are trans cooler lines that run in the bottom of the radiator u can either just connect the back to each other or u can add and aftermarket trans cooler as i have done go to supa cheap auto and buy a davis graig trans cooler kit they are only $139 and run pwr core transcooler comes with lines and fittings i have after market turbo so my auto cops a flogging so i added a seconded cooler

pm me or ring me if u need help

myles 0432355971

I also would like one of these little beauties, anyone know if radiator support for S2 (is) same as S1?

Yep S1 and S2 radiators are the same.

I have a R33 GTR ISC 52mm rad in mine, fitted perfect.

R33/34 rads are the same as far as i know, R32 slightly diff.

cheers for the replies guys :)

ahh, so you got this triple core i take it? what were your temp drops like?

woops :) on on the over tighten!! plus plastic tanks were probably very brittle if that makes your heavy hand feel better. Big alloy radiator is very nice but you will not achieve temp drops as the the thermostat controls the engine operating temps. where your larger alloy radiator will be an advantage will be under extreme operating conditions such as track work ,hard driving , extreme hot weather,reduced air flow for example fitments of large front mount. high boost etc thats when a larger alloy radiator will be beneficial.If you do fit ally cooler and your stag is auto dont cheap out and bypass first trans cooler as some one suggested as this will just put more stress on trans and you dont want to have to fix trans way more painful than fixing radiator. buy the the best trans cooler you can afford!!Otherwise you are just taking a step backwards!!One negative of the alloy cooler is they are not easy to remove tanks to clean core tubes as aluminium welding is not cheap!! so radiator is basically throw away. plastic tanks are crimped on with a large o ring seal. so easy to clean and remove.summing up you have work out what you are using the car for track/ hard beatings / front mount or just missus daily with the occasional squirt if the latter just drop the radiator off tommorow for new tank and and clean as stated b4 $150 bang back on road tomorrow night.+1 misses is happy :wub: Use a good quality coolant and make sure bleed cooling system and check for other crappy hoses that might be on the way out. Just trying save stag owners money :D by passing on many yrs of performance motoring experience :no:

woops :rofl: on on the over tighten!! plus plastic tanks were probably very brittle if that makes your heavy hand feel better. Big alloy radiator is very nice but you will not achieve temp drops as the the thermostat controls the engine operating temps. where your larger alloy radiator will be an advantage will be under extreme operating conditions such as track work ,hard driving , extreme hot weather,reduced air flow for example fitments of large front mount. high boost etc thats when a larger alloy radiator will be beneficial.If you do fit ally cooler and your stag is auto dont cheap out and bypass first trans cooler as some one suggested as this will just put more stress on trans and you dont want to have to fix trans way more painful than fixing radiator. buy the the best trans cooler you can afford!!Otherwise you are just taking a step backwards!!One negative of the alloy cooler is they are not easy to remove tanks to clean core tubes as aluminium welding is not cheap!! so radiator is basically throw away. plastic tanks are crimped on with a large o ring seal. so easy to clean and remove.summing up you have work out what you are using the car for track/ hard beatings / front mount or just missus daily with the occasional squirt if the latter just drop the radiator off tommorow for new tank and and clean as stated b4 $150 bang back on road tomorrow night.+1 misses is happy :wub: Use a good quality coolant and make sure bleed cooling system and check for other crappy hoses that might be on the way out. Just trying save stag owners money :) by passing on many yrs of performance motoring experience :O

^^^ Hi there, good info & needs some thought before parting out with the dosh. Thanks.

Yep S1 and S2 radiators are the same.

I have a R33 GTR ISC 52mm rad in mine, fitted perfect.

R33/34 rads are the same as far as i know, R32 slightly diff.

Quote msports180 ~ More good info, rational decision time. Damn.

GW

I just ordered a custom PWR rad, with inbuilt p/s cooler and oil cooler. I intend to track the car on occasion, and my standard rad is on the way out anyway, so I thought what the hell... Rational is overrated... But not overheated! (haha not very funny! :rofl: )

Part of the reason for the auto fluid going through the radiator is that helps bring the auto up to optimum operating temp more quickly esp for short trips. . In NZ i just go to radiator shop and they pick out a generic core from their supplier with the same fittings but thicker, delivered same day.

Part of the reason for the auto fluid going through the radiator is that helps bring the auto up to optimum operating temp more quickly esp for short trips. . In NZ i just go to radiator shop and they pick out a generic core from their supplier with the same fittings but thicker, delivered same day.
+ 1 kiwi rs4 yes bigger core in stock radiator good idea as it can be cleaned properly. I also purchased a radiator sock from radiator guy ( like mesh) and it stops any crap going in new radiator it lasts for 12000Km.and sits in top hose .would be a good idea on those using an alloy radiator as well( as not easy to clean)Good peace of mind. Stay cool ;) stag doods : :)

woops :) on on the over tighten!! plus plastic tanks were probably very brittle if that makes your heavy hand feel better. Big alloy radiator is very nice but you will not achieve temp drops as the the thermostat controls the engine operating temps. where your larger alloy radiator will be an advantage will be under extreme operating conditions such as track work ,hard driving , extreme hot weather,reduced air flow for example fitments of large front mount. high boost etc thats when a larger alloy radiator will be beneficial.If you do fit ally cooler and your stag is auto dont cheap out and bypass first trans cooler as some one suggested as this will just put more stress on trans and you dont want to have to fix trans way more painful than fixing radiator. buy the the best trans cooler you can afford!!Otherwise you are just taking a step backwards!!One negative of the alloy cooler is they are not easy to remove tanks to clean core tubes as aluminium welding is not cheap!! so radiator is basically throw away. plastic tanks are crimped on with a large o ring seal. so easy to clean and remove.summing up you have work out what you are using the car for track/ hard beatings / front mount or just missus daily with the occasional squirt if the latter just drop the radiator off tommorow for new tank and and clean as stated b4 $150 bang back on road tomorrow night.+1 misses is happy :rofl: Use a good quality coolant and make sure bleed cooling system and check for other crappy hoses that might be on the way out. Just trying save stag owners money ;) by passing on many yrs of performance motoring experience ;)

yeah, they were quite brittle. i showed the girl and she snapped a piece off with her hands...

i understand the science behind thermostats in cooling systems, the reason i asked the question was because i wanted to find out if the stock rad was able to cool the system back down to the thermostat level, thus giving me a gauge in efficiency of stock setup.

but don't worry, the stag will be getting an fmic and 3" exhaust some time in the not too distant future (unless i break other things first, haha). i also have plans for a big farcough tranny cooler too :P

cheers for your reply :(

Edited by pyro-ns

i ran a stock stagea radiator on a 600rwhp setup and never ever had issues on dyno or anything, only once did it get abit hot and that was doing a standstill burnout for a minute or two at full rpm on the spot which would heat up any radiator really. Dont waste your money and get another stock one second hand, plus they wont make it run any cooler as per the other post mentioning the thermostat controls the temps. I doubt u will get the thing hot enough unless you are doing serious track work at high rpm, etc.

I have noticed to there is 2 different thickness stock radiator's, my autech was a snow spec model with the heated mirror's, windscreen etc etc and it had a tiny radiator, like S13 thickness, the RS4 rad was twice as thick, more GTR size, actually come to think of it it didnt have a trans cooler in it, it had a 2nd one on the A/C condensor, probly was a GTR one? or a manual one at least?

I still have the radiator from it in teh shed, i can measure it up to compare?

orright! it's under way!

quick question, does anyone know if all s2 stageas have standard tranny coolers?

All I know is the S2 has as standard one almost as big as the aftermarket one i used for the S1. See picture for small S1 on left and aftermarket on right:

TransCoolerComparisonSmall.jpg

All I know is the S2 has as standard one almost as big as the aftermarket one i used for the S1. See picture for small S1 on left and aftermarket on right:

TransCoolerComparisonSmall.jpg yeah stock tran cooler not 2 bad considering so many auto cars only only use radiator type!!Most manufactures recommend upgrade of trans cooler before towing a trailer. You will find the cooling lines tee off into radiator cooler and go into stock cooler located in front of radiator left hand side. Glad to see all wheels in motion as i hate it when my stag is off road. :( Nice after market cooler kiwi rs4 :) good too see peole thinking about reliability not just power/ boost. Stag on :)