SAU Community

Advice On Tyres

Can anyone give me feedback on Nankang tyres for a V35 - wear rate, noise wet performance? Any other tyre types I should consider? I need 2 rears 275x35x18's

Are you looking at Nankang NS-II ? If so here is my own experience on Nankang NS-II 245 & 275 on my V35:

IMHO nankang is only worth it if you don't want to spend $800+ on a pair of other good tyres, especially at those huge sizes they can cost a bit.

they're cheap for a start, like I got mine for about $500 a pair.

being wide at 275 they give a better grip but it is only average, as I still manage to break traction in it when turning.

caught me unguarded as I was under the impression it won't break traction so it was a pretty crap experience.

I had dunlop SP3000 on my old R33 turbo with size 235 only and I could belt it in the pouring rain. I don't think I have the same confidence

with my Nankang 275 at the rear as I did with the dunlops.

it's also noisier than average tyre, especially contributed by the aggressive tread pattern and wider tyre width makes a lot more noise on the road.

Wear rate is good. I was told even there are people who has done 50,000km in them and they still looks new.

but that just gives away one fact - that its grip are crap. sticky tyre wears out faster, that is general rule. the longer the tyre wear rate is, you can imagine it'll probably only be as sticky as a post it note.

Overall, if you're strapped for cash, go for Nankang, but don't expect it will "shine' on the road.

If you can afford to spend on a proper good tyres, then spend it and GET A PROPER TYRE - that is my suggestion.

i had some on my old r34, found them to be okay for wear

scary in the wet, even babying it from the lights in moderate rain would induce wheel spin and this was when tread was around 85%

moderate speed maneouvres in the wet were okay but once you reached the limit they went haywire

in the dry they were acceptable for daily driving, if you want to do some track work i'd suggest better tyres

only reason I had them was they were already on the rims I bought, if it was me personally I'd fork out that little bit extra for better tyres

As above had the nsII on my s13 lasted me close to 50000kms and was still roadworthy lol. Don't expect much in the form of grip or performance. They will get you from a to b if you drive sedately.

For around $500 per pair try federal 595ss or kumho ku36 or falken fk452s. I'm on my 3rd set of Falkens and they have a good balance of performance and wear for the price.

Yep im also running nankangs. They came on the car when i got it.

The rears are 275/30/20. Grip is worse than expected, too easy to spin the tyres in the wet. They are noisy as hell too.

Cant wait to get rid of them.

I had Nankangs on my old R33 and they were terrible in the wet. One time in the rain I was going down a moderate hill towards a roundabout and the tyres completely let go of the road.. pretty scary stuff. Other times when not so dangerous I was able to have a lot of fun with them. In the dry they were fine, just don't drive them in the wet.

I suggest checking out Maxxis tyres. I haven't put them on a Skyline before (am about to put them on in the next couple of weeks as I need new tyres), but I have had them on other cars and for the price, they are exceptional value and last well.

Do your homework on tyres, even the big brands - don't just trust that because it is a big name brand that the particular tyre model is good.. do a review search on Google.

I had Nankangs on my old R33 and they were terrible in the wet. One time in the rain I was going down a moderate hill towards a roundabout and the tyres completely let go of the road.. pretty scary stuff. Other times when not so dangerous I was able to have a lot of fun with them. In the dry they were fine, just don't drive them in the wet.

I suggest checking out Maxxis tyres. I haven't put them on a Skyline before (am about to put them on in the next couple of weeks as I need new tyres), but I have had them on other cars and for the price, they are exceptional value and last well.

Do your homework on tyres, even the big brands - don't just trust that because it is a big name brand that the particular tyre model is good.. do a review search on Google.

[/quote

Thanks guys for your good advice

anyone had any experience on Bridgestone 050 or 050A in the wet?

i'm thinking to go back to OEM spec 225 & 245 - I don't care if they wear out after 20,000km as long as they grip well.

the previous "OEM" compliance tyres they put on mine (Kenda brand) was even worse in the wet.

Nankangs are shit. I've got them on my stock 17" wheels for track/skid duties, and on the girlfriend's MX-5, and they're only good if you want to do skids. We've done 3 track days each on our tyres, with no signs of wear.

I'm going to bin hers since they're her daily tyre, and in the wet they're dangerous. You should not be able to rip seconds in a stock auto MX-5 but, on Nankangs in the wet, you can light them up.

If you're looking for tyres to go on a wide V35 aftermarket wheel, get Falken FK452s. I find them a good touring tyre. A bit noisy, but they work well wet or dry and come in a big range of sizes.

anyone had any experience on Bridgestone 050 or 050A in the wet?

i'm thinking to go back to OEM spec 225 & 245 - I don't care if they wear out after 20,000km as long as they grip well.

the previous "OEM" compliance tyres they put on mine (Kenda brand) was even worse in the wet.

I have RE050 at my current V35. 257 and 245. Good at dry and wet. but really noisey............

Nankangs are shit. I've got them on my stock 17" wheels for track/skid duties, and on the girlfriend's MX-5, and they're only good if you want to do skids. We've done 3 track days each on our tyres, with no signs of wear.

I'm going to bin hers since they're her daily tyre, and in the wet they're dangerous. You should not be able to rip seconds in a stock auto MX-5 but, on Nankangs in the wet, you can light them up.

If you're looking for tyres to go on a wide V35 aftermarket wheel, get Falken FK452s. I find them a good touring tyre. A bit noisy, but they work well wet or dry and come in a big range of sizes.

+1

I had Nankangs on my stock M35 wheels.

In the wet, slight incline roundabout, turn the wheel to the right and the damn thing just plowed straight ahead and up the gutter.

That is on an AWD 1700kg wagon.

Never had an issue with my Kenda Kaisers which stick to a wet road at any legal speed.

I thought Kenda is just as crap, that's why I flog it with the whole set of old rims... I broke traction on Kenda starting from the light with VDC on, can you imagine that...