SAU Community

Finding Work In Japan

direct

hi guys...

i'm interested in looking for work over in japan, i'd hate to just pack up and fly over to find out its hard for an aussie to pick up decent work over there.

so yeah, where do you look?

is it hard for non japanese speaking aussies to pick up decent work over there?

hi guys...

i'm interested in looking for work over in japan, i'd hate to just pack up and fly over to find out its hard for an aussie to pick up decent work over there.

so yeah, where do you look?

is it hard for non japanese speaking aussies to pick up decent work over there?

Hi mate,

you would only have luck teaching english over there and you would need to gain the TEFL certification, see http://www.tefl.com/.

Its difficult at best trying to find a job there, accomodation and you need a sponor. Plus the pay isnt great $2500-2800 USD a month...FOR 40+hour weeks.

They say the easiest route to go down is to travel there and approach english teaching schools in person, but be sure to have your certification, heaps of money, and references lined up.

I had a friend that tought there for years, you would also need to pick up the basics of the language if you want to stand any chance of getting hired.

That said, its an awesome place, great people, so dont let anything stand in your way, just be as prepared as possible.

first of all. what do you do in australia? what experience do you have? and what qualifications do you have? and how old are you? (approximate if you want). and what kind of work do you want?

these things are gonig to determine how hard it's going to be and what kind of job you're going to be able to get.

not speaking the native language of course is going to be a big problem. what do you think a persons employment prospects would be if they came to australia looking for work and could not read or speak any english? pretty limited.

The difference being Richard is that there are 11ty million Japanese people wanting to speak English... so the possiblities of getting halfway decent work in Japan can't be compared to a non-English speaker seeking employment in Australia.

direct: you need to tell us the answers to Beer Baron's questions before we can suggest anything.

For a start, have a look at this: http://jobs.kfm.to/jobs (it says Kansai but the jobs listed are national). If you find anything in there that you think you might have a chance at getting then let us know with the other info requested and we might be able to help out in a meaningful way.

One last thing, Japan isn't everyones cup of tea, what may seem like a good long-term relocation idea while in Australia may very well vanish as soon as you arrive... it's happened to many people I've known over the years.

Edited by Rezz

I remember seeing some ad in a local newspaper many-many months ago for bar work, in some sort "australian run bar" (or pub?)...not sure where abouts in Japan the place was situated, but it would've been ideal for those on little holidays looking for some mmmmmoney!

I personally see Japan as a place for a holiday...to have fun...and go to if I had lots of spare dollars, not somewhere I'd be prepared to move to, stuff re-locating unless you know for sure it will work!

Edited by gnki'vlct

heh had a look at the jobs out of curiosity...

"Technical Support Engineer " no worries, i'm a unix sysadmin this will be a walk...

requirements.

Fluent jap, written and spoken

business level Korean

Ok back to the drawing board.

on a related note. I've heard that if you want a snow balls chance of work in japan you need a degree, is this correct.

Also does anyone know what the IT market is like in Jap? Its pretty easy for me to find work in aus, language skills aside, is it similar in japan?

^

lol fluent Korean??? hahahahaha

I consider "business" difficult level, so it's "fluent"...

If you don't have a degree (or qualification) you find it hard to get a job anywhere really, that pays well etc....no matter what country.

well...except for maybe Australia :)

If you don't have a degree (or qualification) you find it hard to get a job anywhere really, that pays well etc....no matter what country.

well...except for maybe Australia :)

heh kick in the guts truely noted..... basterd!

:)

Basically you need a degree to teach english and get work visa. Yep there are some dodgey ways around it but its getter harder and harder.

As of April 2010 immigration will have a country wide database instead of local city immigration office so its gunna get real tough to try pull the wool over their eyes. Seriously they are cracking down majorly and wanna know everything about foreigners!!

You wanna think seriously about taking the english teacher path as if you end up here for awhile and then return home it doesnt look real hot on the resume unless you want to go work ina language school.

As for the 11ty million that want to learn english, well shit load of em are broke, and most only do it for a short time. It used to be good.

The pay for english teacher nowdays is crap. 250,000yen a month if your lucky and you wont be saving much if your living in the big cities.

If your after good list of altrnative work e.g IT etc then suss www.gaijinpot.com

Also if you have half a brain theres plenty of opportunity to strat your own business here and make some decent coin just have to put the hard yards in.

Fark this guy has made millions... http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_winter_2006_brian_tannura

If ya wanna just come for holiday and make what your going to spend thenteaching is the go. If you want to come for a carreer change and make some money then do some research and start studying your ping pong because most companies will want you to be bilinguall.

excuse my spelling as still coming off a nasty bender

Edited by elrodeo666

hmmmm

speaking of having your own business....

wonder how hard it would be to be an exporter?

you know...those people who stay in Japan and send over all the car parts to Australia for "sh*tloads* of dollars (this may include cars, half cuts, parts off yahoo auctions etc etc)

what skill requirement is there, would having a japanese friend suffice (so they can help you with translation, lol) :)

• 3 weeks later...
As for the 11ty million that want to learn english, well shit load of em are broke, and most only do it for a short time. It used to be good.

Ok maybe not 11ty million, maybe just 1ty million. It was just to illustrate the difference between working as a non-Japanese speaker in Japan to a non-English speaking worker in Australia. In Japan it can be done and work isn't reliant on you Japanese ability.

hmmmm

speaking of having your own business....

wonder how hard it would be to be an exporter?

you know...those people who stay in Japan and send over all the car parts to Australia for "sh*tloads* of dollars (this may include cars, half cuts, parts off yahoo auctions etc etc)

what skill requirement is there, would having a japanese friend suffice (so they can help you with translation, lol) :)

more difficult than you could ever know, the stress, the hours, the scammers. :)

Ive been doing it for 5 years, Im 34 and own a smashed s13 and a 660cc van, rent a shoe box of a house and have no days off... sounding good? come join me I need help packing boxes. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
more difficult than you could ever know, the stress, the hours, the scammers. :D

Ive been doing it for 5 years, Im 34 and own a smashed s13 and a 660cc van, rent a shoe box of a house and have no days off... sounding good? come join me I need help packing boxes. :)

My brother will gladly come and help. Has some engineering qualifications so he should be able to operate a sticky tape dispenser. PM me if you are serious. He is over there now somewhere near Tokyo.

Problem with foreigners in Japan is that they get paid good money for teaching english so expect good money for packing boxes. Ive offered 1000yen an hour for packing which is realistically pretty bloody good money but because they can get 3000yen an hour for private lessons teaching english it seems really bad. So I have to stick with Japanese uni students etc. If he is bored and wants to come to Osaka to pack boxes for 1000yen an hour let me know :huh: Would be only part time.

The point of my post is that ppl think exporting is easy money, when infact out of the countless jobs Ive had its probably one of the most difficult and stressful.

• 4 months later...