SAU Community

Whats A Good Cool, Clean And Cheap Aftermarket Turbo For A Rb20det?

When i search JDM yard and such all i find are turbos worth $5000. I really dont want to spend that much (dont even have that much!! :D )

Whats a good turbo that will give me a decent KW/HP boost? Right now ive got a HR32 gts-t running 13psi on standard turbo with a aftermarket intercooler.

How much power do you want, do you want the engine bay to look std, Are you willing to upgrade ECU, injectors etc? There are plenty of options for a turbo less then $2000, but all the other stuff that may be required will soon add up to $5000

I was in same situation as you and if you are upgrading turbo for decent power you will probably need to spend around $3000 minimum. You will need to upgrade injectors, fuel pump, and likely go to a Z32 AFM if you are going for 220rwkw+. If this is the case then you will need to upgrade your ecu.

My breakdown has been approx:

HKS2530 + HKS wastegate actuator - $1600 +$300 because I was stupid and something must have got in the intake and chipped the compressor wheel.

GTR Injectors - $200 + cleaning and flow testing

Z32 AFM - $300 new, I got two second hand, I think one may be fake though but I will be testing this once I have the car running well.

Bosch 040 fuel pump - $210, aprox $250 new

Just Jap FMIC kit - $500

Power FC - $1000, could probably get away with a second hand emanage ultimate or a toshi remap for around $700

Boost controller - $40 Turbotech but you may like to go electronic and this could cost you $200 up

Front pipe/split dump - $180

Misc costs for gaskets, getting intake piping welded, oil + coolant - $200-$300

You could probably get away with less. I got a turbo that has heaps of response and decent power in very good condition. You could probably get away with a hi-flow from Hypergear or something for $800ish if your not worried about this and want more than 240kw. I'm also lucky in that I have a good clutchalready , I think you would be lucky to get away with the standard one not slipping at decent power levels.

cheap 2nd hand go with rb25 turbo or vg turbo

next cheapest hypergear are getting good results

otherwise 2530

up till 220 you should be right with std injectors an afm. you should all ready have other supporting mods.

cheap 2nd hand go with rb25 turbo or vg turbo

next cheapest hypergear are getting good results

otherwise 2530

up till 220 you should be right with std injectors an afm. you should all ready have other supporting mods.

220rwkw on 270cc injectors? Don't think so, Mates was hitting close to 100% on ~200rwkw. Should go for HKS GT2535, GTR pump, GTR Injectors, set of splitfires and and a remap.

• 1 month later...