SAU Community

R34 - Getting all 4 rear lights working as brake lights?

Hiya all, I've never noticed it before but when my car is braking only the two outer rear lights come on and I'd like all 4 to. I've seen other R34's which have all 4 light up so it can be done but I need to know how. I'm not using the two inners as fog lights so thats not a problem.

I've had the lights apart and have found the following -

Inner lights - 2 x 5w bulbs (1 in each half) with 5w and earth to each.

Outer - A Single bulb with both 21w & 5w Filament (bulb holder has 3 wires, 21w, 5w and earth)

Can anyone help me (I'm an aircraft electrian so crimping etc shouldn't be a problem)?

Here's a quick Circuit diagram if anyone wants to have a go

lights.JPG

Here's an acutal pitcure of what I'm facing (the indicator is the tan looking bulb holder)

lightsmall.jpg

Cheers peeps.........................................................IanH

Hey Ian,

I know with a lot of Australian compliancers, they disconnect the middle 2 brake lights. I think your best bet is to follow the wires down through the boot. There will be somewhere down there where they are disconnected. Thats about all I can offer ...

Good Luck!

Christian

Damn thread! Made me run out in the dark and wet to go and check it out :D

I think they disconnect them during compliance so as not to blind the poor bastard behind when you brake.

But yeah my inside lights stay dull red

Dan

BTW - you could put a 21w/5w bulb in the 5w socket, but run a wire from the 21w filament to the 21w feed on the outer brake light...better still get hold of some proper 3 wire sockets like the outer bulb socket, and replace your inner light sockets with those....running the 21w feed as above.

BTW - you could put a 21w/5w bulb in the 5w socket, but run a wire from the 21w filament to the 21w feed on the outer brake light...better still get hold of some proper 3 wire sockets like the outer bulb socket, and replace your inner light sockets with those....running the 21w feed as above.

Thats what I want to do but there's a size difference between the inner (smaller)/outer (larger) bulb holders and you can't get 21w/5w bulbs small enough to fit the smaller inner holder...................Bugger!!

Oh and you can't buy small enough 3 pin bulb holders in the whole of the UK by the looks of it, everyone I asked just shrugged their shoulders!

I've bought a big bulb holder (outer sized) and I'm thinking of cutting a new hole in the back of the inners and putting in there, wired up as 666DAN suggested.

Pekatu - There's no 21w line to the inners to cut. On R34's there is only a 5w wire to a 5w bulb, nothing else. Otherwise It'd be fairly easy.

Cheers.....................................IANH