SAU Community

R33 Gtr Basic Trackday Prep

tigermm

Im looking at running my R round a track in a couple of weeks, what are the basic things to do before I go?

I have read about overfilling the oil for the day, but how much?

Got good brake pads and fluid.

Will check tranny level.

Anything else?

Will the stock turbos be ok with the restrictor removed or should I put it back for the day?

With ceramic turbos you want to run the least ammount of boost as possible to prolong the life of them, if you have steel wheel turbos then knock yourself out. I overfill to the kink in my dipstick, but otherwise have a read of the other trackday pre threads, also might be worth borrowing a windeband o2 sensor or getting a dyno run done to make sure the AFRs are safe.

Cheers guys.

I had a bit of a search around before I asked but couldnt find much (except the oil control thread and Im not gonna pull the engine to put an extra oil drain on it!)

I have the stock turbos so stock boost it is.

How much should I overfill the oil? I have read it should be up to the hump in the dipstick but is that when hot or cold?

yeah about there, that is generally 1lt more.

even more important is to put in good quality brake fluid like motul rbf600. totally bleed the old stuff out until you see the new stuff running through (careful not to run it dry while doing this)

check all fluid levels (might take all day, gtrs have a crazy number of fluids).

since its hot make sure you have bleed the coolant properly.

if you are going to do more track days, consider adding an oil cooler. if not keep it to 3-5 laps flat out, or 5-8 laps at 80% (which is all most people manage on their first track days)