SAU Community

Help. Screaming Noise When Spooling

MUZT3K

hey guys like the title says, it just started happening yesterday, when i chuck it on high boost (12 psi) and i start hitting boost, insted of the spooling sound its like a sorta high pitched screaming sound...any idea would be very helpful thankyou in advance

this happened on my silvia when i went from 12psi std ecu to 16psi with a power fc... ended up being that my intake hose was cracked and sucking air in because it was collapsing in on itself.

i replaced it and its fine... dunno if thats your problem or not.

yeah intake or boost leak,,higher boost can pop hoses off as well,re check everything

*EDIT* but then again, wen i did put my car past 12 psi, the turbo screams more coz it spools up more, but it doesnt really at low boost, depends how much i let it spin. are you losing power?

Some small leaks in the vacuum system, or some small and spiky materials on front of the turbo vibrating. If the sound do gets louder, none above issues were found and you are experiencing lose of power then that would likely be a turbo issue.

i had the same problem with mine. it turns out it was a pin hole in a silicon hose on the fmic. this took a lot of time to find. And it only did it when it was above 12 psi,best way to find a vacumm leak is to spray some soap water on all the joins and see if it bubbles.

mine did it on the odd occasion too. had a manual boost controller and think something got stuck in the pressure outlet nipple. sounded like someone was dying under my bonnet. lol. this was on ~13psi. its gone now that i have electronic boost controller set on 13/14. it has a pressure outlet nipple too but its not makin the sound.

Edited by SLY-25T

yer it mainly happens only on high boost, and usually when i start it up so im wondering if its the turbo coz mayb it only does it when its cold..anyway im going to take it to R E and see what they say...hopefully nothing major

hey guys like the title says, it just started happening yesterday, when i chuck it on high boost (12 psi) and i start hitting boost, insted of the spooling sound its like a sorta high pitched screaming sound...any idea would be very helpful thankyou in advance

Put a gag on the passenger, that should stop the screaming

ok guys took my car to the mechanics and results are the turbo is fckd..well not completly..he says the fin might have alil chip or somthing. but now i need a new turbo or someone who can fix my turbo..please guys if yous have anyone in melb who can fix stock turbos or if you have any ideas of which turbo i can buy that will fit straight on please tell me thanks.

ok guys took my car to the mechanics and results are the turbo is fckd..well not completly..he says the fin might have alil chip or somthing. but now i need a new turbo or someone who can fix my turbo..please guys if yous have anyone in melb who can fix stock turbos or if you have any ideas of which turbo i can buy that will fit straight on please tell me thanks.

He said it "might" have a chip? Did he look or just guess?

Wtf? didnt u just buy your car a while ago? thats fkd man..sorry to hear. Did they say u actually need a new turbo? are any pieces of the wheel missing? and did the mechs think the turbo was fkd for a long time(before u upped the boost level)?

I'd say just look in the for sale section, there should b some rb25 turbo's..or if u got money, just upgrade.

But if i was you, and i had about 800 to a grand to spend, i'd get the turbo u got highflowed..i got a highflowed turbo and its held strong even wen i ran 15psi on it..depends if changing the wheel will fix it and there isnt major damage done.. good luck man

Ben

yer got the car 3 months ago, it happend recently when i hit 200km. its my dads mate so he wouldnt be talking shit to make a quick buck..but yer he is certain its the turbo...so you reckon get the stock turbo i have highflowed? will i get more power and will i be able to boost it more?

yer got the car 3 months ago, it happend recently when i hit 200km. its my dads mate so he wouldnt be talking shit to make a quick buck..but yer he is certain its the turbo...so you reckon get the stock turbo i have highflowed? will i get more power and will i be able to boost it more?

It happened wen u hit 200km/h or 200,000km mileage? anyways, well, with a highflow, they change the wheels from ceramic to steel and i think make the rear housing bigger, so i wouldnt really run 12psi on a stock turbo. It wont add power jus by itself but will allow you to run more boost,,i beleive they can handle 20psi, but obviously ur car needs to be able to handle that much lol.

so yeh, more boost, more power, but u wont be able to run more than 12 if u still got the stock ecu.

Maybe do a little reasearch - you cant simply whack a bigger turbo on and wind the boost up for more power...

You need to support the addtional power i.e. Fuel pump, injectors etc etc Also your standard ECU will have a freak out session if its pushed too far.

I would recommend going to speak with your tuner and getting his/her advice. Best to decide on what you want also.

If your only after around 200kw then just get a 2nd hand rb25 turbo for the time being and wait till your ready to upgrade properly - dont half ass it, it will cost you twice as much in the long run.

My 2 cents

Put a gag on the passenger, that should stop the screaming

That doesn't work, I've tried it. You'd be surprised how much girls can scream through their nose.

If the sound goes away when you run low boost again then it may not be a stuffed turbo, particularly if it is performing as normal. Check the shaft play of the thing...

The exhaust manifold studs on these engines are weak as shit, always snap...can create an exhaust leak but it's not the likely culprit. You could have a boost/exhaust leak anywhere. When I put a stainless steel dump pipe on my turbo it was significantly louder.

+1,,its no use trying to take short cuts when modding these cars or it can end badly, male sure u make the right decision, even if it means u dnt drive ur car for a while