SAU Community

Intercooler Upgrade Suggestions

teedo

Hey guys hows things?

I've got an r33 gtst series 2 and I'm looking at upgrading my intercooler, I'd really like to just keep the smic option, I was looking into the r34 gtt cooler upgrade but actually being able to find one is hard lol anyone out there know where to get one or if there are any other smic which I could get ? Im in sydney btw ... thanks =)

hmmm very tempting but I was looking for somethin closer to home lol ... but just outta curiosity how much would you be willing to offload it for and wats the shipping price and all that if u knew? I've never purchased anythin from overseas before lol

heya guys I got around to tryin to call at a few wreckers, even tried justjap, the guys there had none either =(

I'm starting to think that I may have to go down the path of a fmic lol but before that is there any aftermarket smics out there ?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys hows things?

I've got an r33 gtst series 2 and I'm looking at upgrading my intercooler, I'd really like to just keep the smic option, I was looking into the r34 gtt cooler upgrade but actually being able to find one is hard lol anyone out there know where to get one or if there are any other smic which I could get ? Im in sydney btw ... thanks =)

try ebay ... u can get one import for pretty cheap.. comes witht he kit.. you might have to source the piping thou

:laugh:

thanks guys ... I have been lookin and still have not been able to find a side mount option sooooo looks like I'mma have to go front mount after all lol ... either way hopefully I'II be satisfied wid the results

I've got an ARC smic for my 34GTT. It's the biggest smic you can get. Works very well. No lag just responsiveness :D

It was expensive but worth it. Extremely hard to come by. Haven't come across another one. Good luck.

are you sure you've done enough research to justify installing a replacement smic?

you should do some research, it might save you some $, some time and frustration

the smic has been done to death in the past 6 months, all the useful info is there

its a pointless mod IMHO

FMIC with a proper sized core at the front or dont bother

I feel that I've done enough research ... I've heard that the r34 coolers we're good for up to 200kw am I right? I am aware that a front mount option would most likely be a better option for gains, but from what I've seen some modification had to be done to the front bar for fitment, I'm not a big fan of modifying components to fit, thats why I opted for the side mount and not the front mount, though if theres a kit out there that doesnt require any modification to my front bar then feel free to mention it and point me in the right direction yer ? thanks guys

no you have missed the point completely of smic vs fmic

the issue is not power, as covered in the dozens of threads on SMIC upgrades

the smic will make 200rwkw no problems

it could make 300rwkw no problems

but thats not the point

read the threads

The JustJap 'Cooling Pro Stealth' kits are quite good- they allow you to keep the engine bay looking completely stock standard, but give you the benefit of a decent sized front mounted core.

Ill be selling mine shortly, so if you are interested let me know.

What Paul is really saying is HEATSOAK. Feel the smic after a good drive, esp in traffic, then you will know. Because i know.

They MAYBE good fo upto xxxkw, but how will it cope with the heatsoak? Unless you have a waterspray AND a decent fan on the smic - its pointless. And by the time you have bought an upgraded smic, waterspray kit, fan, ducting, you would have spent TWICE as much as a decent fmic kit would cost, and you would have spent twice as much time as well, and you still wouldnt be happy.

There i said it!

oh yer I totally understand it now ... thanks for bringing me up to date on it all lol guess my research was a lil off, I didnt take the heatsoak into consideration just looked at the number side of things and got ahead of myself, anyways unfortunately due to it being this time of the year, christmas is burnin a massive hole in my pocket and I cant seem to free up any cash for my intercooler upgrade because its all being exhausted into solving my 2 current issues which are driving me insane lol but I've posted them up in other topics ... modifying turbos isnt as easy as I thought ... well hopefully I get all my problems sorted out with the car will get bak to you guys once I'm ready to upgrade to the fmic ... anyways once again thanks for all the info, u guys have been a big help as always, hope ya'll have a merry xmas and a happy new year =)