SAU Community

Sqeaky Clutch

Hey guys, I just have a couple of questions so i'll just bunch them up in the one post.

1. My clutch has developed a sqeak. I've never had a car have a sqeaky clutch before so whats the cause, and possible solution to my problem here? It only sqeaks when I depress/release the clutch.

2. After having the airconditioner on, and then switching too just the fan, there is a really bad smell (sorta smells like stagnant or stale water). It goes away after a while or when you put the aircon back on. Possible cause and solution (apart from buying an airfreshner :D)?

Its a 95 r33 gts-t by the way.

Any help will be muchly appriciated :D

thanks for the replies. i thought it might be the pedal at first, but thought i'd get some opinions on what else it could be.

don't smoke, so thats not the problem (re: aircon) both my cars do it, the skyline is worse than my liberty though. i will have a search for the spray stuff

any idea on what it was called?

thanks for the replies.  i thought it might be the pedal at first, but thought i'd get some opinions on what else it could be.

don't smoke, so thats not the problem (re: aircon)  both my cars do it, the skyline is worse than my liberty though.  i will have a search for the spray stuff

any idea on what it was called?

Turn the air con on and get some air freshener and spray it down under the dash somewhere near the air intakes it sucks the spray through the system.Presto nice smelly air.

Don't know what it's called, but it's been covered at least once on these forums - so if you search for it it should come up.

I also read a while back that a squeak coming from under the car when you press the clutch in could be either the slave cylinder, the arm / fork thing, or the thrust bearing. I get it myself, and my thrust bearing squeaks and whirrs, and I figure the only real way to check that and the rest of the things that could be wrong is to drop the gearbox and do a proper job. Which is exactly why I'll not be worried about it until I need a new clutch :) I'm a little concerned about spraying WD40 anywhere around my slave cylinder / bellhousing sort of area.

Thanks for all the help. I went to the local aircon place and purchased a bottle of anti baterial spray with 'special trade secret blend' lol cost $16 and its made by a company called 'earth innovas', if anyone is interested.

just spray it in your intake vents. too easy...car now smells like a hospital, but at least it doesn't stink lol

just another question that arised whilst spraying this stuff into my intake vents...any ideas on why the drivers side vent is fully open, yet the passenger side vent only has tiny holes and is mostly covered????? (these are the vents at the bottom of your windshield under your wipers.)

because i looked on my liberty and it has symetric vents, just seemed odd to me to have one side open and the other with little holes.

Thanks for all the help.  I went to the local aircon place and purchased a bottle of anti baterial spray with 'special trade secret blend' lol  cost $16 and its made by a company called 'earth innovas', if anyone is interested.

just spray it in your intake vents.  too easy...car now smells like a hospital, but at least it doesn't stink lol

just another question that arised whilst spraying this stuff into my intake vents...any ideas on why the drivers side vent is fully open, yet the passenger side vent only has tiny holes and is mostly covered????? (these are the vents at the bottom of your windshield under your wipers.)

because i looked on my liberty and it has symetric vents, just seemed odd to me to have one side open and the other with little holes.

It could have something to do with the demister.

i dont know the technicalities of it but i had a squeaky clutch also and it wasn't the pedal. I had my car at nissan for a service and asked them to look at it.

They said it was a known problem and somehow adjusted it and got rid of the sqeak and did it for no charge.

sorry for being so vague!

this is the throw out bearing, dont worry about it much it just becomes annoying.

as for the other squeaks most of them are you pedals, like mentioned spraying wd40 on the springs and hindges usually works

I was under the car the other day, and the noise is comming from, i think it is the slave cyclinder. The little metal thing on the bottom of the box... When i hold the leaver thing the noise goes away.. I sprayed it with wd40 but it didnt do nethn.. i think i need grease..

Least i know now its not realy harmful.

the noise is actually coming from the bearing that is attached to the metal arm that is coming out of the bell housing. its a bearing that sits against your clutch and as the clutch spins so does the bearing, sometimes they get noisy but nothing to worry about. you could replace it but its not worth it unless your going to change your clutch because the whole gearbox will have to come out

the slave clyinder is the part that pushes the arm that disingages your cluch

so if your clutch is pressed in (disingaged the clutch) the bearing wont spin hence it wont make a noises

Had this problem myself and was fairly easy to fix.

Get under the car and position yourself near the slave cylinder.

Undo the two bolts holding the Slave Cyl on and remove remove it from the bellhousing. Then remove the rubber seal that the clutch fork protrudes thru. Peer into the hole with a small torch and you will see the pivot post at the rear of the clutch fork a few centimeters inside the cavity.

Next just gently push the fork away from the pivot post (it's held in place by a spring) and gently spray some spray grease into the pivot joint using an extension nozzle (i used white lithium spray grease).

Put it all back together.

The squeaky clutch and that rattle at idle will be cured!