SAU Community

33 Gtst Builds

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, the Black street car is going on the dyno on Friday, and will probably be there for the majority of next week. My tuner is a 1 man show and can take a while to get it done. That said he does a dam fine job and I don't mind.

The Yellow race car is ready to get started on. It is getting a new motor, box diff and suspension. The motor is well underway, a 26/30. The head has been ported, 1mm oversize valves, up spec springs, short skirt buckets and HKS type 2 cams with old school HKS cam gears. I have 3 blocks and cranks to choose from. All 3 blocks will be getting basic preparation, acid bath, bore, hone, deck and bore squirter seats n holes machined. I will be Grout filling the block to the welsh plugs to help control the warp that is common with these things. They tend to split down the welsh plug line under load, about the 650-700bhp mark. Guess where I'm aiming for?

The crank is a std RB30 item. We are looking at doing some offset grinding. Knife edging, enlarged galleries, grub-screws, match grinding and balancing. I think Spool rods with ACL race series positions and bearings will be next on the shopping list. Stay tuned for pics. Might be a week or so.

So, the Black street car is going on the dyno on Friday, and will probably be there for the majority of next week. My tuner is a 1 man show and can take a while to get it done. That said he does a dam fine job and I don't mind.

The Yellow race car is ready to get started on. It is getting a new motor, box diff and suspension. The motor is well underway, a 26/30. The head has been ported, 1mm oversize valves, up spec springs, short skirt buckets and HKS type 2 cams with old school HKS cam gears. I have 3 blocks and cranks to choose from. All 3 blocks will be getting basic preparation, acid bath, bore, hone, deck and bore squirter seats n holes machined. I will be Grout filling the block to the welsh plugs to help control the warp that is common with these things. They tend to split down the welsh plug line under load, about the 650-700bhp mark. Guess where I'm aiming for?

The crank is a std RB30 item. We are looking at doing some offset grinding. Knife edging, enlarged galleries, grub-screws, match grinding and balancing. I think Spool rods with ACL race series positions and bearings will be next on the shopping list. Stay tuned for pics. Might be a week or so.

Sounds like you are getting serious with it now.

Good stuff :thumbsup:

240V or 415V?

got all the required locks etc on them to stop them dropping? been looking around a bit and that price is pretty good for a new unit for 4.5t

The new engine build sounds wild Noddy!

That hoist would help a shit load! Im super jealous.

I can give you a few ideas with the sump if you like... What sort of pump you looking at?

Edited by r33_racer

240V or 415V?

got all the required locks etc on them to stop them dropping? been looking around a bit and that price is pretty good for a new unit for 4.5t

Yes they have Chris, Dan has one as his second hoist in the workshop and they are the real deal.

Michael, I'm surprised you don't have a hoist. Will pm about pump/oil setup. I have been tooking at Cammo Hill's setup.

Chris, yes it has drop locks and arm locks that disengage when it comes down. It is 240V 10A single phase. we have used the hoist heaps already this week. Skyline, Falcon and ceilca have all had a ride or two.

I have been trying to tune the Skyline for the last couple of weeks. First issue was that the 9 pin serial cable had been damaged and need a new 1. that took a while, turns out it is not a normal straight through cable, it's a 232 null modem cable. same as an AIM dash.

A new cable in and it was just a matter of gettin on th dyno. There has been a bizarre boost issue, apart from it tailing off it would flutter around 4500 up making tuning hard. We use a live trace to identify exactly where to make changes....... it was all over th place. We data logged a ramp and found the boost pulsating from 14.8 down to the 9's and back again several times a sec. We changed map positions on the plenum a few times, even tried a different EMS ecu! went back to the original spot and it was fine????

So with the flutter mysteriously clearing up, the boost drop was still a serious issue. 14psi dropping to 8.5, why? Boost controller? By elliminating it and just running waste gate psi? still dropped 10 to 7.8 psi. Ran a ramp with a reading at the turbo\wastegate, 12psi, climbing slightly to 12.5 psi. Was there a rag left in a pipe? Short answer, no. We did just run a pipe in place of the intercooler, 11.5 psi in the plenum.

Now there is a new intercooler in and goes back to the dyno, again, tomorrow.

A hoist is something that has been argued about many times...if only we did have one!

I like how you guys go eliminating problems step by step. No guessing or mucking around.

Hopefully you get it all sorted out.

Thanks mate, we try and make sure we find the real problem before going silly fixing/improvingthe situation.

Dyno man was busy today, but Monday/Tuesday is looking good. I just want to be able to get out for a serious days testing on Wed at Morgan to be ready for the weekends racing in Stanthorpe. Any one comming for a play on wed?