SAU Community

Oil Spitting Out Of Intercooler Piping

usmair

hey guys

im pretty sure this has already been covered on the forums before but i tried doing a search and nothing came up so ill just ask again

I have oil coming out of my intercooler piping!!!.. do u rekon its the oil seal? or maybe something to do with the oil line?

i noticed something was wrong last night.... the car was running sluggish.... turbo wasnt spooling as quickly as it usually does... BOV wasnt as loud as it normally is..

my friend had the same thing happened to his stocky a few years back and it was his oil seal so he got that replaced then a couple of months later the turbo went anyway so im freaking out a bit here

mine is far from stock too so im even more worried.. it has:

GT3071R turbo (fitted only about 3 months ago)

custom intake piping

oil and water lines have been changed too...

the turbo seems to be working fine atm... still hits boost (not as quickly) and there is a little loss of power... but im just worried im gonna starve it of oil or sumthin and its gonna go so the car is in the garage until i figure out the problem...

im gonna ring the tuner too tomorrow to see what he rekons but just wanted to ask u guys on here...

thanks

the likely assumption is turbo oil seal ?

doesnt a catch can just mask the issue

ie if you have a catch can, then we assume all is OK, but something is obviously causing the excessive oil in pipework

yeh there is no oil catch can setup... didnt think i needed one as this setup has been done hundreds of times without a catch can

do u guys think it's just the oil seal? no major damage to worry about right?

noob questions: there isnt suppose to be any oil running through the intercooler piping right?

yeh there is no oil catch can setup... didnt think i needed one as this setup has been done hundreds of times without a catch can

do u guys think it's just the oil seal? no major damage to worry about right?

noob questions: there isnt suppose to be any oil running through the intercooler piping right?

Oil is an insulator so no, there shouldn't be any in the cooler and yes you should have a catch can.

Loss of power due to less heat transfer inside the cooler?

The only way to know how much oil is breathing into the inlet is to drain the catch can, only ever water in mine as the VQ's obviously don't have the RB excess oil issues.

I know when i got my 3076R installed they had to put a restrictor in the oil feed as it was pumping so much in that the oil was pushing past the seal, perhaps you have a similar issue

MAP sensored or AFM?

If MAP sensored, did you pop an intercooler pipe and drive like that with it popped for a while? If so that will cause oil to piss out from the oil seal due to no pressure on the compressor side for a long time.

If it actually is the oil seal your looking at about $900+ to repair it, rebalance it etc.

Here's a good thread to read regarding turbo's leaking oil http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=727476

Edited by PM-R33

$900 for an oil seal repair?! blardi hell

ive got z32 AFM so not MAP sensored... intercooler pipes are fine... it could be the excessive oil being pumped like Bunta said...

as long as i know my turbo hasnt copped it (which it doesnt seem like it has) im happy... just gotta figure out how to stop it from happeneing again

so how do i go about gettin the oil outta the cooler piping? will it do itself if i fix the issue or do i have to pull the setup apart n clean them?

• 1 year later...

$900 for an oil seal repair?! blardi hell

ive got z32 AFM so not MAP sensored... intercooler pipes are fine... it could be the excessive oil being pumped like Bunta said...

as long as i know my turbo hasnt copped it (which it doesnt seem like it has) im happy... just gotta figure out how to stop it from happeneing again

so how do i go about gettin the oil outta the cooler piping? will it do itself if i fix the issue or do i have to pull the setup apart n clean them?

sorry to dig up a old thread, but did you end up fixing the problem?

i have recently just discovered the same issue, but havent figured out if it is the turbo seal or if its just oil in my cooler the only way to find out is to clean the whole system including the intercooler. (so iv been told)

Also did you end installing a catch can and did it help at all? Any help would be much appreciated

cheers

Edited by Levy

• 1 month later...

Looking at purchasing a FMIC going cheap but it has oil in it since the guys engine went :b

How do you go about cleaning the intercooler? Is it as difficult as it sounds or just a flush through with a chemical of sorts.

cheers.

i put mine in the acid bath at work then thorough hose out.but just put some fuel etc in,hands over the ends and shake it around and repeat until it doesnt come out black. then stand on its end to drain for a while

Edited by t_revz