SAU Community

How To Weld Replacement Sheets With A Tig

Mohsen

hey guys

looking at buying an older car with some rust

and unsure how to go about fitting the new panel

some resto threads showed me that they tacked them on and then put some putty and stuff ontop to smooth it out

is this the right method?

what setting tig should i use?

im pretty scared with the tig as i have blown some holes into stainless sheets :woot:

the plan shud be, line up clamp,magnet into place, tack, then weld the joins completely sealed, grind/file and sand it smooth .

shudn't really be using putty unless the heat distorted the panel etc

the plan shud be, line up clamp,magnet into place, tack, then weld the joins completely sealed, grind/file and sand it smooth .

shudn't really be using putty unless the heat distorted the panel etc

thought so, would tigging be ideal? wat about arc welding?

when welding in panels should you tack it ever say inch, then go back to the beginning and put another tack, over lapping or just under the first lot of tacks and keep repeating till you have welded the hole seam/join.

or is it better to tack it then do one complete weld between each tack one at a time?

cheers

elliot

when welding in panels should you tack it ever say inch, then go back to the beginning and put another tack, over lapping or just under the first lot of tacks and keep repeating till you have welded the hole seam/join.

or is it better to tack it then do one complete weld between each tack one at a time?

cheers

elliot

unless you can hammer weld or are good with a shrinking disk you should use the tack method for the panels.

Bear in mind that quickly cooling the area after the weld will cause it to shrink, you just need to be sure that the shrinking effect isnt greater than the expansion caused by the welding.

Further more with regard to the mig, ive got not idea your experience level, but my pick for consumables for a car would be

.8mm er70s-6 wire , co2 sheilding gas and dialing in 40-80 amp. You can go for an argon mix gas to reduce the spatter but its twice the price, per volume.

• 2 months later...
so you reckon a tig aint any good to weld car pannels? i would have thought it useful no?

Takes to long to generate enough heat to get penetration, than you need to spot it with filler rod... and basically it created to much heat.

your much better off tacking it with a mig, basically tac the whole way around it in a sequence to keep the heat even so the panel doesnt warp.

yea i get you now,the mig is kind of instant,i just bought a miller 275 syncrowave,mainly for alloy ect but i had hoped it would do a bit of boddy work also!looks like ill have to buy more toys,good excuse for the gf!

• 3 months later...

MIG is definatly the easyest way. tacking all the way round till the whole thing is sealed is the best way. depends on what sorta quality repair you want thought.

most rust repairs or panel joining i do myself, i weld with any oxy welder. purley because you cannot metal finish panels when using mig because is makes the panel to brittle and un- workable. and yes oxy does put out alot of heat but when done propery it is the best method. mig is i lot quicker thou :O

• 4 weeks later...

was going to tell you to use mig like everyone else did!

well howd you go? any pics?

i have no idea about welding car panels. but when we make pharmaceutical tanks, when we weld the seam after weve rolled the tank. we hammer and dolly it just to stress relieve it