SAU Community

Best Way To Garage Gtr For 6 Months..

r32gtrv-spec

ok,

havnt lost my licence or nothing, its just the car needs abit of work done to her and i wont have cash for the next 6 months atleast.

The last 3 months ive just been starting it once a week, just keeping the battery charged.

Whats the best thing to do ? keep starting it once or twice a week ? or garage it.. im just wondering what the cons of this could be ? i once seen someone that garaged there car for 6 months or so, they took the rocker cover off and the cam lobes were all rusted. I know theres no water in my oil, im sure of that.

What are the pros and cons for garaging a car ?

thanks

If you just start it and let it idle then shut it down you will foul the plugs up, and if you just let it sit your fuel pump will probably die (as I found out :)).

So, if it were me, put it on jacks (to save the tyres), take the battery out and be prepared to get a Bosch 044 when you want to get her going again.

Mike

if your starting it for any real attempt to charge the battery it wil get warm and not foul the plugs . twice a week is excessiv . do you go start your car for the sake of it every 3 days if you havent driven it ? mine sits in the garage for over a month at a time and still starts fine afetr i check the oil n water and then let it warm up . i agree with puttin it on jacks tho

Had mine off the road for 6 months when i lost my license. Make sure the fuel tank is full of fuel so it does condensate and disconnect the battery. Put it on jacks if you want to take load off of the tyres. Other than that you don't need to do anything special. Strange about the fuel pump failing, don't know why that would happen.

I have also stored cars for years at a time.

Heres whats worked in the past for me.

Place the car on jack stands, or bricks if you dont have any. Saves your suspension and tires. I would hope its in a garage or lockable environment out of the weather.

Disconnect the battery, or hook up a battery charger (Depending on how long you want it sitting there for, and how often you wish to drive it)

Lock it with the keys, place a steeringlock or other anti theft device, and return every 6 months to take it for a drive. I usually try to use a full tank and ALWAYS check your vitals before starting. Ie, water and oil etc etc.

Had mine off the road for 6 months when i lost my license. Make sure the fuel tank is full of fuel so it does condensate and disconnect the battery. Put it on jacks if you want to take load off of the tyres. Other than that you don't need to do anything special. Strange about the fuel pump failing, don't know why that would happen.

Was sitting for 9 months with very little fuel in the tank. Pumps need fuel for cooling and lubrication so it may have primed a few times with no fuel being picked up and died, or it picked up some s**t at the bottom of the tank. A bit frustrating considering it was a $500 Nismo pump, but, hopefully get a Bosch 044 in there now.

EDIT: I tested it and it is getting power but not drawing current so it is definitely siezed up.

Edited by bigmikespec

Nice thread. Getting ready to do this again.

I travel for months at a time for work. My best action was for someone I trust to start the car about twice a month and drive it around the block. Always just a short distance letting the car warm up and cool down afterwards.

Just gotta make sure the person doesn't like to race around in the thing.

I guess it depends on what is wrong with your car. If you are able to drive it I would just go for a short ride every now and then.

when i have bought new shocks there held in compressed position with plastic tie etc......this maybe for less space maybe?

i read somewhere probably on this board lol...... that having all the weight of suspension componants on unloaded shock is not good. for long periods.....