SAU Community

My R35

LSX-438

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont take this the wrong way, but 160k car, $80 stands, ive seen them break

I certainly wouldn't creep under a 1800kg (less 4 wheels!) car standing on 4 matchsticks.

That is exactly how my wife became an orphan at 8 months.

Sorry mate, you should think of your beautiful son, it's not worth the risk!

Edited by GT-Ricer

I certainly wouldn't creep under a 1800kg (less 4 wheels!) car standing on 4 matchsticks.

That is exactly how my wife became an orphan at 8 months.

Sorry mate, you should think of your beautiful son, it's not worth the risk!

I already mentioned you should use the floorjack as a backup on the front or back. What kills people in this situation is... no backup / SINGLE point of failure. 100% of the time.

Good luck with the project!!!

What are your reasons in choice of pads? Endless, Project Mu, Ferodo, etc...

I am going with AP rotors and some Hawk pads. No great science/research on my part i am just going on a recommendation from a friend who is around brakes + race cars as his job. See how it goes i guess.

I am going with AP rotors and some Hawk pads. No great science/research on my part i am just going on a recommendation from a friend who is around brakes + race cars as his job. See how it goes i guess.

Nice!

Let us know the result in the difference of the pads and rotors, stock to aftermarket.

Duncan your a brave man to be tackling this project on those stands even with a floor jack as a safety!! Good on you dude.

Ive done the AP J hook rotors, Carbotek 12 (yeah they squeal like a bitch) and Stillen braided lines and now the braking is simply amazing. The pedal has so much bite that it just hauls the car down from 200+ to 50 in a couple of seconds. If you have a spare $300 get some stillen braided lines cause when i compare my brakes to 09 GTR who has the similar set up my pedal is def stronger which would be good for your sprints.

Edited by White 35

Duncan you have inspired me to harden up and screw the nissan warranty in view of some track work this year

I think it's great guys getting into the track work and basic maintenance themselves :thumbsup:

this thread got me thinking what I would do when I have a tool around under the car next month

I have on order some 5T truck jack stands (pin not ratchet) for work with the wheels off and some wooden blocks for under the wheels

similar to below for whilst working under the car. will let you know how I go when i get my shite together

front_block.jpg

ok so tonight whilst the car is up on stands i thought i should get the carbon air intake installed, sometimes i wonder why i get into doing these things!

but here we go......... (better be worth it)

001.jpg

002.jpg

Martin where is my updated tune! lol.

Edited by LSX-438

Dunc,

Hats off to you mate, it is at this point I would have another kidney tray with a whole range of nuts and bolts that are left over and I am not sure where they go.

Thanks Gibbo!

Not finished though! still got a bit to get through before the first round this sunday, going to tackle these tonight...

Yes, have a stripped stud or two AGAIN as well :( plus new j-jooks and pads

001.jpg

Some of the bolts and plastic clips are getting a bit worn, so i had to source some (for the various covers atc under the car) thought i better do it whilst they are all off the car now. This is what seems to work (see pics also):

M8 x 16mm

M6 x 25mm

I picked up some high tensile ones as that is all i could find, however i am sure you can get some regular ones cheaper. The bolts are about $4~$5 for a box or 5 or 10. I noticed some of the OEM bolt heads were a bit scratched up and i couldnt use the socket on them (too damaged) so perhaps the high tensile ones wont disentegrate so easily? i dunno we'll see.

I sourced the bolts from Supercheap (i guess you can get them almost anywhere) and the plastic clips (not sure what they are called!) from JustJap in Sydney.

001.jpg

I had a bunch of dramas today including a snapped caliper bolt FFS!! Details later, including how to fix!

Still have to pack the car for tomorrows sprints at OPGP and i am rooted.

Duncan your a brave man to be tackling this project on those stands even with a floor jack as a safety!!

Because jack stands just brake everyday and all 4 fail at the same time?

You can't be serious.

I had a bunch of dramas today, snapped caliper bolt!!

How'd you manage that, did the jackstand break on it?

Edited by GHOSTrun