SAU Community

Buying A R35

eastes

I'm shopping for a GT-R. I've been quoted $182k drive away from the dealer at Nissan Dealership in Brisbane. It's just so hard to justify this price when my buddy in Las Vegas bought his for $US90k ($AU98k) at the Nissan Dealer there. Seriously. I know we we have luxury car tax here and GST, but I feel like I'm getting raped in my bottom by paying an extra $80k.

Would I be an idiot to buy a 2010 model ADM for $182k?

Does anyone know how to import a JDM?

Edited by eastes

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm shopping for a GT-R. I've been quoted $182k drive away from the dealer at Nissan Dealership in Brisbane. It's just so hard to justify this price when my buddy in Las Vegas bought his for $US90k ($AU98k) at the Nissan Dealer there. Seriously. I know we we have luxury car tax here and GST, but I feel like I'm getting raped in my bottom by paying an extra $80k.

Would I be an idiot to buy a 2010 model ADM for $182k?

Does anyone know how to import a JDM?

This site imports the GTR - how about this? http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/modul...hp?StockID=4856

White R35 for $108k imported minus customs.

Id def wait and get the 2nd series australian car with the upgraded suspension, tranny cooler etc etc...

Dont buy the current car for anything over 165k.

When is 2nd series out? I thought the 2010 model did actually include the upgrades. Now I'm confused.

Edited by eastes

Thanks for the import website recommendation. $108k + customs will be about $120k

So now I need to decide...

Is the 2010 ADM model with 3 years warranty worth $60k more than a 2008 JDM model with no warranty, some scratches and no tires.

I'm wondering the same questions??? when is 2010 GTR available to be purchased and delivery timeframe??? also, why are some people/dealers trying to charge more than a dealership sells the car new???

Also, be careful..........I read that the JDM Models will NOT be covered for ANY Technical Support by Nissan Authorised Dealerships.....so just be careful and be aware of Warranty issues if you go JDM Import!!!

Edited by Don

Preference is Gun Metalic premium model. I'm reasonably flexible on this though.

I would only track it once every 2nd year or so. Not often.

Purpose is daily driver.

Preference is Gun Metalic premium model. I'm reasonably flexible on this though.

I would only track it once every 2nd year or so. Not often.

Purpose is daily driver.

Then buy something else. If you read enough of the threads here you will discover that the GTR only comes to life on the track - and what Nissan Australia are doing to owners before and then after 1 track day is akin to being raped ($12k to replace rotors & brake pads because the brake pads have begun to crack!). The GTR is just too competent a car for daily use and you won't get to experience its real driving thrills.

***Disclaimer*** I have never driven a R35 GTR. All of the above comments are based on reading nearly every thread on SAU, NAGTROC & GTROC UK relating to the R35 GTR and discussions with R35 GTR owners.

Thanks for the import website recommendation. $108k + customs will be about $120k

Is the 2010 ADM model with 3 years warranty worth $60k more than a 2008 JDM model with no warranty, some scratches and no tires.

Don't forget you won't get the super-dooper headlight washers either - those would be badly missed :)

Then buy something else. If you read enough of the threads here you will discover that the GTR only comes to life on the track - and what Nissan Australia are doing to owners before and then after 1 track day is akin to being raped ($12k to replace rotors & brake pads because the brake pads have begun to crack!). The GTR is just too competent a car for daily use and you won't get to experience its real driving thrills.

***Disclaimer*** I have never driven a R35 GTR. All of the above comments are based on reading nearly every thread on SAU, NAGTROC & GTROC UK relating to the R35 GTR and discussions with R35 GTR owners.

I totally understand your logic. GT-R needs to be a tracked to be appreciated. This is more an emotional decision though.

I find it funny, how people are saying that the R35 is too quiet and doesn't give you that rush like older GTR's did/do.

Sorry to say, the R35 GTR, is a car made to be a mix of both Performance and Luxury.

The Performance side doesn't need to be questioned really, we all know it "goes like the Stig".............

the Luxury Side has also received HUGE improvements since the R34 was designed more than 10yrs ago. Technology has certainly increased dramatically, with better Ride Quality, Sound Proofing, Exhaust Notes, Materials used etc etc

Comparing an R32, R33 and R34 to an R35, is like comparing a VB Commodore to a new VE Commodore!!! and Comparing a Modded GTR to a Stock GTR is about the same!!! (I remember my Stock R33 GTST was VERY quiet, when I first had it, after a few mods, it felt and sounded like a totally different car!!!)

I find it funny, how people are saying that the R35 is too quiet and doesn't give you that rush like older GTR's did/do.

Sorry to say, the R35 GTR, is a car made to be a mix of both Performance and Luxury.

The Performance side doesn't need to be questioned really, we all know it "goes like the Stig".............

the Luxury Side has also received HUGE improvements since the R34 was designed more than 10yrs ago. Technology has certainly increased dramatically, with better Ride Quality, Sound Proofing, Exhaust Notes, Materials used etc etc

Comparing an R32, R33 and R34 to an R35, is like comparing a VB Commodore to a new VE Commodore!!! and Comparing a Modded GTR to a Stock GTR is about the same!!! (I remember my Stock R33 GTST was VERY quiet, when I first had it, after a few mods, it felt and sounded like a totally different car!!!)

Exactly. This is what sells it for me. It's luxury and performance. And I love that it doesn't sound like your typical ricer. I like receiving attention, but not because it sounds loud.

I've noticed a few discussions on this forum about the logic behind not buying an R35. The truth is, nearly all cars priced over $100k are going to be mostly an emotional decision.

Exactly. This is what sells it for me. It's luxury and performance. And I love that it doesn't sound like your typical ricer. I like receiving attention, but not because it sounds loud.

I've noticed a few discussions on this forum about the logic behind not buying an R35. The truth is, nearly all cars priced over $100k are going to be mostly an emotional decision.

Thats right eastes......its a purely emotional decision, otherwise if it were financial, I would just keep my Evo 9 hahaha.

Soooooooo........has anyone got an answer for me and eastes yet???? HAHAHA i.e. Is it better to buy a JDM GTR for say $140k, with no Warranty/Help from Nissan if something does go wrong....or do we buy a new ADM GTR for $180k, with Aust. Warranty, Nissan Aust Servicablity for life etc???

Edited by Don

Factor in another $26000 for a new transmission, which is bound to fail within 3 years. 2008 car already has two years under the belt so you will

buy a time bomb with no factory warranty and a 1 year fuse which has already been lit by some kamikaze in Tokyo with a need for speed.

I suggest you get very friendly with Martin at Willall Racing, you will be needing his services, sooner rather than later.

'buy a time bomb with no factory warranty and a 1 year fuse which has already been lit by some kamikaze in Tokyo with a need for speed.'

You forget that any JDM car imported can only have delivery klm's on it, hence new, although it must be manufactured before Feb 2009.

Yeah, and no LCT either and that adds to something like 25K or so on top of 108K, so its still near 140K.

Plus stamp duty and rego adding another $6-$8K depending on which state. This makes it less than $20K less than the Aus delivered driveaway car plus its a 2007/8 model with 253kW and the 4500 rpm launch control compared with the 257 kW with 3000 rpm launch ADM car, plus or minus? You decide. Then you have to consider depreciation and interest/opportunity cost of the money. $20K extra at approx 8% lease interest rates means that interest alone accounts for another $1600 per annum lost on interest on the more expensive ADM car. However if the JDM depreciates just 1% more than the ADM this will compensate and your total cost of ownership will break even. I can't imagine the JDM won't depreciate more than 1% more than the ADM per annum personally. Then you have warranty to consider... My gut feeling would be to go for ADM simply because $165K is a good price for an almost new one now...I paid $167K for a brand spanker but not premium model and before the price rise for non "ordered before release" cars.